Holly&Andreas

Question about our marriage certificate at NVC stage

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi guys,

So today my husband (In Romania) went to the town hall to get an official copy of our marriage certificate since I have the original (in the US). I was under the impression that he will have to have his own official copy of it unless I misunderstood the instructions on the CEAC website. He went to the town hall and was told they could not issue a copy, they don't ever issue copies. They told him they would have to invalidate our current marriage certificate (filing it as lost) and issue a new one. So without consulting me, that is what he did. Now he says the marriage certificate I have (and that I filed with USCIS originally and also uploaded to my side of the CEAC documents) is invalid. Is this going to create a problem when it comes to the NVC approving our documents? My (now apparently invalid) marriage certificate has a number at the top so I'm assuming that is how they track it and the new one will have a new number. I'm not really sure what to do about this. 

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Petition Filed: 04/06/2022
NOA1: 04/06/2022
Notice of Active Review: 06/28/2022
NOA2: 04/03/2023
NVC Case Created: 04/06/2023
NVC Documentality Qualified: 08/09/2023
NVC Scheduled appointment at Bucharest Embassy for 10/17/23

10 minutes ago, Holly&Andreas said:

Hi guys,

So today my husband (In Romania) went to the town hall to get an official copy of our marriage certificate since I have the original (in the US). I was under the impression that he will have to have his own official copy of it unless I misunderstood the instructions on the CEAC website. He went to the town hall and was told they could not issue a copy, they don't ever issue copies. They told him they would have to invalidate our current marriage certificate (filing it as lost) and issue a new one. So without consulting me, that is what he did. Now he says the marriage certificate I have (and that I filed with USCIS originally and also uploaded to my side of the CEAC documents) is invalid. Is this going to create a problem when it comes to the NVC approving our documents? My (now apparently invalid) marriage certificate has a number at the top so I'm assuming that is how they track it and the new one will have a new number. I'm not really sure what to do about this. 

Thanks

Is the date of marriage still the same? 

Timeline
Just now, Redro said:

Is the date of marriage still the same? 

Yes, only the number assigned will be different. He has to go and pick it up on Wednesday. 

59 minutes ago, Holly&Andreas said:

Yes, only the number assigned will be different. He has to go and pick it up on Wednesday. 

Then upload that copy to NVC when the petition is approved… NVC won’t be checking the USCIS copy to the NVC copy (just will check it is the correct document/ correct format etc) And yes, your husband will have to take that copy to his interview. Generally, when couples live in different countries the beneficiary keeps the hard copies or the USC takes the original to the home country before interview. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline
1 hour ago, Holly&Andreas said:

Hi guys,

Thanks

Hi there. 

I'm also from Romania and waiting to get USCIS approval to move onto NVC

Personally, I had to register my marriage with the Romanian state in order to be able to file for a No Objection Residence waiver. 

I now have a Romanian marriage certificate and a Colorado marriage certificate. None of them got invalidated by the other. 

He can present either one at NVC or the interview. 

According to Romanian law you have to register and get a Romanian copy (within the first 6 months of the marriage) but the American one is still effective. The number at the top that you mentioned it's simply their stamp that it got registered (transcribed). 

I think you're all good! Good luck in the next steps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Flavia-Bianca said:

I now have a Romanian marriage certificate and a Colorado marriage certificate. None of them got invalidated by the other. 

He can present either one at NVC or the interview

The officer at the US consulate or embassy will ask to see the original Colorado marriage certificate.  If the marriage took place in Colorado, that is the certificate that is required, both at NVC and the visa interview.

1 hour ago, Flavia-Bianca said:

Hi there. 

Personally, I had to register my marriage with the Romanian state in order to be able to file for a No Objection Residence waiver. 

According to Romanian law you have to register and get a Romanian copy (within the first 6 months of the marriage) but the American one is still effective. The number at the top that you mentioned it's simply their stamp that it got registered (transcribed). 

I think OP got married in Romania though… not in the US… but I could be wrong. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Flavia-Bianca said:

Hi there. 

We were married in Romania so we only have the Romanian marriage certificate. I brought it back with me to the US after we were married because I needed it to change my name. 

8 minutes ago, Redro said:

I think OP got married in Romania though… not in the US… but I could be wrong. 

That is correct :)

Timeline
28 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

The officer at the US consulate or embassy will ask to see the original Colorado marriage certificate.  If the marriage took place in Colorado, that is the certificate that is required, both at NVC and the visa interview.

Thanks for the info!

I have them both, I'll make sure to present the Colorado one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Holly&Andreas said:

We were married in Romania so we only have the Romanian marriage certificate.

Sorry my earlier advice was based on an incorrect assumption that you were married in Colorado.  The original marriage certificate from Romania will be needed at NVC (scanned and uploaded) and the visa interview, with a certified translation in English.

3 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Sorry my earlier advice was based on an incorrect assumption that you were married in Colorado.  The original marriage certificate from Romania will be needed at NVC (scanned and uploaded) and the visa interview, with a certified translation in English.

I believe your advice was correct for @Flavia-Bianca (she married in Colorado).

The OP @Holly&Andreas married in Romania and now has two marriage certs from Romania. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.