punkouter

OH NO!! They spelled her name wrong on her international passport!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I sent all the I129F paperwork way a few weeks ago and they cashed the $170 check

Yesterday she got her International Passport in the mail and they spelled her name 'Maryna' instead of 'Marina' .. Now we are ready to panic.

Anyone have this situation ? Any idea what to do ?

I am going to call I guess the homeland security office and ask them. It would be great if they could just change the I to a Y.. but im guessing its never that simple.. I don't want to have to send everything in allll over again and pay the new increased $455 fee.

She doesnt want to wait another 3 months to get another passport.

Any ideas?

I don't think your best bet is to try to get Homeland Security to change their records; are you going to change the birth certificate and all her other documentation to reflect the spelling mistake, too? USCIS isn't the one that issued her passport, so calling them isn't going to fix it.

Have your fiance get her passport fixed. The three months it takes to do that is probably more than enough time for your paperwork to wind its way through USCIS and State. You won't have to send everything in all over again.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

I read in another post that maybe its not such a big deal if in the future paper work I use the correct spelling? I think the next wave of paperwork she includes her internation passport which is the first offical spelling of her name in english. So if at this point onward I say MarYna instead of MarIna then everything will be ok?

Its a huge pain for her to go to the city and wait in line. There is no one she can call about the problem. They

Oh I might have forgotten to mention she is ukrainian so all her official paperwork up until this point is not in Latin letters.

The vermont center seems to only take a month to get the NOA2 out so Id hate to wait another 3 or 4 months because of a letter

I don't think your best bet is to try to get Homeland Security to change their records; are you going to change the birth certificate and all her other documentation to reflect the spelling mistake, too? USCIS isn't the one that issued her passport, so calling them isn't going to fix it.

Have your fiance get her passport fixed. The three months it takes to do that is probably more than enough time for your paperwork to wind its way through USCIS and State. You won't have to send everything in all over again.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Somthing is completely disconnected here. Who made the mistake. Is her passport correct and your I-129F wrong? Is your I-129F correct and her passport is wrong? Which is it.

Her passport must be correct. If it is not, it must be corrected.

If it was your mistake andthe passport is correct, please be clear about that.

What is the correct spelling of the name?

I read in another post that maybe its not such a big deal if in the future paper work I use the correct spelling? I think the next wave of paperwork she includes her internation passport which is the first offical spelling of her name in english. So if at this point onward I say MarYna instead of MarIna then everything will be ok?

Its a huge pain for her to go to the city and wait in line. There is no one she can call about the problem. They

Oh I might have forgotten to mention she is ukrainian so all her official paperwork up until this point is not in Latin letters.

The vermont center seems to only take a month to get the NOA2 out so Id hate to wait another 3 or 4 months because of a letter

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree - fix the passporot not the I-129F. My wife to be had the same problem with her Philippine passport. An a instead of an e in her name. She went and explained the problem and they gave her a priority fix - she got the new passport in about 2 weeks.

I'm not sure where yours is but since they made the mistake they might do the same for you.

July 3, 2007 - Mailed I-129F to CSC

July 13, 2007 - Received NOA1

November 15, 2007 - Received NOA2

January 10, 2008 - Received NOA4

February 13, 2008 - CFO in Cebu

February 18, 2008 - Early Medical

March 3, 2008 - Interview!!!

March 14, 2008 - Baby and the Boy together in Los Angeles!!

Well we don't care HOW they want to spell it. So we want to fix it the quickest way possible. If that is fixing the passport it means her name is MARINA if that means fixing the 129F her name is MARYNA. Does not matter to us.

She is in Ukraine and tells me there is no way to contact the Kiev office by phone. Anyone here have a Ukrainian financee that would know about this?

So my worry is she reappplies for a passport and there is confusion on why they are making a 2nd passport. And is there somewhere in the passport applicatino I wonder for how you want your last name spelled She tellls me they just chose to spell MARINA why a Y and she didnt expect that.

I am going to try calling the USCIS and see what they say. I have no idea how that will be reaching a human.

Would be wonderful if they could just change the letter in thier system.

Well we don't care HOW they want to spell it. So we want to fix it the quickest way possible. If that is fixing the passport it means her name is MARINA if that means fixing the 129F her name is MARYNA. Does not matter to us.

She is in Ukraine and tells me there is no way to contact the Kiev office by phone. Anyone here have a Ukrainian financee that would know about this?

So my worry is she reappplies for a passport and there is confusion on why they are making a 2nd passport. And is there somewhere in the passport applicatino I wonder for how you want your last name spelled She tellls me they just chose to spell MARINA why a Y and she didnt expect that.

I am going to try calling the USCIS and see what they say. I have no idea how that will be reaching a human.

Would be wonderful if they could just change the letter in thier system.

A former friend ofmine is from the Ukraine and her name was spelled Marina in English. I guess because it's translated out of Cyrillic, you should just chnage the one that is easiest for you, because her real name is spelled right in Cyrillic.

I guess for the English name is doesn't matter so much, as long as she is finewith it, but then continue to use MarYna on all you papers, your marriage license in the future and all documents she is going to have in the future. Like SSN, birth certificates of future childeren, driving licence and bank accounts.

The translation shouldn't than be such a problem.

I'm convinced about that.

Goodluck and don't worry, stick with Maryna.

I should contact the service center where your I-129F is taken care of. Do you already have a NOA1, than use the WAC number and fax it to them, they can update it for you.Just explain the that there was a translation mistake of her name from Cyrillic to English and the correct way to spell her name isMAryna and you want to adjust that.

Edited by foxtobee

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If her name is misspelled on her Ukranian passport, she needs to get it fixed, by the Ukrainian govt. Simple as that.

Absolutely correct. All official Ukrane government documents should transliterate her name to English the same way. There is a correct way to write her name in Roman characters. Period. It doesn't matter whether you care or not. It must be correct.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.