MeG@Am

US Embassy in Cairo for Notary Appointment

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello!

Did anyone have an experience with difficulty on getting an appointment for notary in US Embassy in Cairo?

My fiancé and I are now planning on getting married instead because of family medical issues. 

I will be in Egypt last week of July and first week of August, and we were hoping to get married through civil ceremony.  However, there are always no opening dates to schedule an appointment.

How did anybody schedule their notary appointment?

There was one day opening in May, but because it was a really short notice, it is hard to schedule it because of work.

Hope to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is for the addadivit of eligibility to marry?

did u try on the following site?

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=CRO&appcode=1

it does say

Please note a notary appointment is required for this service. Demand for notary services is higher than we can accommodate. Please don’t make travel arrangements or commit funds until you have booked your notary appointment.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

This is for the addadivit of eligibility to marry?

did u try on the following site?

it does say

Please note a notary appointment is required for this service. Demand for notary services is higher than we can accommodate. Please don’t make travel arrangements or commit funds until you have booked your notary appointment.

Yes.  I tried checking the site several times a day to see if they will open any date.  Last month, they opened May 30 or 31, but it was too short of a notice to request PTO.

So I was wondering if there is another way in scheduling with the embassy.  I emailed them 2 weeks ago and have not heard from them yet.  I haven't tried calling yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Yes.  I tried checking the site several times a day to see if they will open any date.  Last month, they opened May 30 or 31, but it was too short of a notice to request PTO.

So I was wondering if there is another way in scheduling with the embassy.  I emailed them 2 weeks ago and have not heard from them yet.  I haven't tried calling yet.

Basically it says they have a huge demand for appointments and not to make plans (buy flights )untill u can scheduled this 

and email will respond with a genertic answer

Any chance to meet and marry in a different country?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 6/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

Did anyone have an experience with difficulty on getting an appointment for notary in US Embassy in Cairo?

My fiancé and I are now planning on getting married instead because of family medical issues. 

I will be in Egypt last week of July and first week of August, and we were hoping to get married through civil ceremony.  However, there are always no opening dates to schedule an appointment.

There was one day opening in May, but because it was a really short notice, it is hard to schedule it because of work.

Thanks!

This is one of the reasons we married through the state of Utah online. We could never get any straight answers or appointments with the Embassy in Cairo.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Laura and Taha said:

This is one of the reasons we married through the state of Utah online. We could never get any straight answers or appointments with the Embassy in Cairo.

Oh that’s awesome!  If you don’t mind me asking, how did you register your marriage to Egypt?  
I have plans on going to Egypt in July and maybe we will just do it together because he’s not so good with technology.  If we do the online wedding, I wonder if we can register our marriage to Egypt and maybe if we can use the marriage certificate booking a hotel?

thank you for your reply.

Timeline
1 minute ago, MeG@Am said:

Oh that’s awesome!  If you don’t mind me asking, how did you register your marriage to Egypt?  
I have plans on going to Egypt in July and maybe we will just do it together because he’s not so good with technology.  If we do the online wedding, I wonder if we can register our marriage to Egypt and maybe if we can use the marriage certificate booking a hotel?

thank you for your reply.

You are able to register in Egypt after. However, we decided not to as it was so much to get stamps from different places in the USA and then also register with the ministry of justice over there. Maybe we will some day, but haven't yet. It hasn't affected our visa journey.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Laura and Taha said:

You are able to register in Egypt after. However, we decided not to as it was so much to get stamps from different places in the USA and then also register with the ministry of justice over there. Maybe we will some day, but haven't yet. It hasn't affected our visa journey.

We are actually applying for the spousal visa just yet, because of family medical issues and he can’t leave at this time.  
Do you think we can use the marriage certificate if we book a hotel in Egypt or do we need to register it first?

Timeline

hello ma'am
I was following your case since I am doing a k1, your interview was Mar 17, may I know how was your experience with the interview?

we actually tried to marry in Egypt instead of doing a k1, but ministry of justice refused the American divorce papers saying it isn't final decree, that's why we went the k1 way instead.
we were able to get a date for the appointment to get marriage affidavit by accessing the website many times to look for a date, sometimes another person cancels his appointment, we were able to book an appointment this way, but any opening gets booked very fast
my fiance got her marriage affidavit for $50 paid at the embassy

1 hour ago, Mahmoud Kassab said:

we actually tried to marry in Egypt instead of doing a k1, but ministry of justice refused the American divorce papers saying it isn't final decree, that's why we went the k1 way instead.

The US consulate will also require the final divorce decree from the US, so make sure you have it ready for the K1 visa interview.

Timeline
3 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

We are actually applying for the spousal visa just yet, because of family medical issues and he can’t leave at this time.  
Do you think we can use the marriage certificate if we book a hotel in Egypt or do we need to register it first?

The larger hotels and all Airbnb have accepted it just fine. We usually do Airbnb if we are not staying with family but have also used it with Hilton, Marriott and Intercontinental.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mahmoud Kassab said:

hello ma'am
I was following your case since I am doing a k1, your interview was Mar 17, may I know how was your experience with the interview?

we were able to get a date for the appointment to get marriage affidavit by accessing the website many times to look for a date, sometimes another person cancels his appointment, we were able to book an appointment this way, but any opening gets booked very fast
my fiance got her marriage affidavit for $50 paid at the embassy

Hello!

We actually cancelled our K1.  I know we were very close for him to be here.  But his mom got really sick and he does not feel right on coming here and leaving his ailing mom.  I eventually understood, so now we plan on marrying in Egypt.  But getting an appointment is really hard.  I saw multiple openings for May 31, but I cannot take vacation off that soon or easily.  So, I'm going in July instead, hoping that there will be openings by them.  However, I really don't know if there will be any.  So, I don't know if online marriage will be better option.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

Thanks!

It was very difficult to get an appointment I called and emailed for six months before sending a very long email about how disappointed I was with their treatment of an American citizen and threatened to report the embassy to the Secretary of State's office. I sent them all the receipts and documents in this email and they responded scheduling me an appointment for the same week

Timeline
8 hours ago, Chancy said:

The US consulate will also require the final divorce decree from the US, so make sure you have it ready for the K1 visa interview.

that is the divorce papers provided by the city that I currently have and Egypt didn't accept
do you know if the final divorce decree is different from this one?
image.png.b144422131aadb52babfd50de2ff96a6.png

Timeline
6 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

We actually cancelled our K1.  I know we were very close for him to be here.  But his mom got really sick and he does not feel right on coming here and leaving his ailing mom.  I eventually understood, so now we plan on marrying in Egypt.  But getting an appointment is really hard.  I saw multiple openings for May 31, but I cannot take vacation off that soon or easily.  So, I'm going in July instead, hoping that there will be openings by them.  However, I really don't know if there will be any.  So, I don't know if online marriage will be better option.

hope his mom gets better, and good luck with your marriage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.