sharpie11

I-864 part 7 using assets if had no income in past years

10 posts in this topic

My current year income is more than double the 125% income guideline amount for my household size. However, I have been employed for close to 1 year, prior to which I was unemployed for 3 years. I have a significant amount of liquid assets, around 2.5x the household size requirements for my household. Should I include my assets in the I-864 even though my current annual household income well exceeds the federal poverty guidelines for my household size?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
14 minutes ago, sharpie11 said:

Should I include my assets in the I-864 even though my current annual household income well exceeds the federal poverty guidelines for my household size

If this is a w-2 job, I would not.

Your projected gross income for next 365 days is your current income and current income is what matters the most.

NVC and COs want simple I-864s.

They have been known to reject multi millionaire real estate investors with no taxable income (due to all the tax deductions real estate has) despite 6 figure cash flow and instead accept an I-864 with w-2 based 40,000 gross income. There is no logic to these decisions.

Hoard your cash, and when your liquid US based assets reach 3x of 125 pct of poverty threshold, prepare a separate I-864 that includes assets, and keep it handy for the interview if the CO demands a joint sponsor.

8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If this is a w-2 job, I would not.

Your projected gross income for next 365 days is your current income and current income is what matters the most.

NVC and COs want simple I-864s.

They have been known to reject multi millionaire real estate investors with no taxable income (due to all the tax deductions real estate has) despite 6 figure cash flow and instead accept an I-864 with w-2 based 40,000 gross income. There is no logic to these decisions.

Hoard your cash, and when your liquid US based assets reach 3x of 125 pct of poverty threshold, prepare a separate I-864 that includes assets, and keep it handy for the interview if the CO demands a joint sponsor.

Yup, it is a W-2 Job. Ok will keep it simple ... thanks!

15 minutes ago, sharpie11 said:

Yup, it is a W-2 Job. Ok will keep it simple ... thanks!

You will probably receive a message from NVC stating they cannot determine if you are qualified to sponsor and they will suggest a joint sponsor but the CO will make the final decision. This is a message everyone who did not make enough on the previous year's taxes receives. As long as you get a Documentarily Qualified message you are good to go and they will schedule your partner for an interview. 

You can then complete an additional I-864 with assets for your partner to take to interview in case they request a joint sponsor. But, you should be fine. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Redro said:

You will probably receive a message from NVC stating they cannot determine if you are qualified to sponsor and they will suggest a joint sponsor but the CO will make the final decision. This is a message everyone who did not make enough on the previous year's taxes receives. As long as you get a Documentarily Qualified message you are good to go and they will schedule your partner for an interview. 

You can then complete an additional I-864 with assets for your partner to take to interview in case they request a joint sponsor. But, you should be fine. 

You "can", but you need not.  Frankly though, if you have these assets one or two savings or investment accounts, I would go ahead and state and document them on your I-864.  Those things ARE simple.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 3:29 AM, pushbrk said:

You "can", but you need not.  Frankly though, if you have these assets one or two savings or investment accounts, I would go ahead and state and document them on your I-864.  Those things ARE simple.

Had a separate question -- my stepchildren and spouse's visa interviews are coming up shortly. Is there any advantage for me (the petitioner) to attend the interview with them? I am visiting them during their interview time but wasn't sure if it makes sense for me to attend the interview or not. Will I lose anything if I do not attend ?

48 minutes ago, sharpie11 said:

Had a separate question -- my stepchildren and spouse's visa interviews are coming up shortly. Is there any advantage for me (the petitioner) to attend the interview with them? I am visiting them during their interview time but wasn't sure if it makes sense for me to attend the interview or not. Will I lose anything if I do not attend ?

It shows you are supporting the process if you go with your spouse and stepchildren but some embassies don’t allow you to enter the building so you might have to wait outside. Personal choice: but I really appreciated my husband attending the interview with me. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, sharpie11 said:

I may be wrong, but I think that in Mumbai, you cannot actually be present for the interview.  Being nearby shows support, but depending on actual circumstances of your case, may not matter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.