Andy_2

IR1 visa with Class A or B(TB) Req. Attn. of USPHS at POE

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

It means that she has tested positive for Tuberculosis. 

Class A (active) would mean she is contagious.  If this was a Class A case, she'd be expected to complete a course of treatment before she could immigrate.  If she has her visa in hand, she is not Class A.

I assume this is a Class B case.  She is not infectious (in the opinion of the physician) but she has indications of TB in her system.  She could be a "carrier" or it could be evidence of a past case that's no longer a concern.  Either way she's okay to immigrate but she has a requirement to follow up with a doctor after she arrives in the U.S.  The local doctor may run additional testing and declare her "safe", or the local doctor might require a treatment to ensure there's no active TB in her.

USPHS refers to the United States Public Health Service.  POE is the Port of Entry...the location where she first arrives in the U.S.

This link is from the State of Minnesota, but the process will be similar in other states.  https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/tb/lph/lphclassb.html

She'll be counseled at the port of entry and probably receive a letter instructing her to follow up with her local doctor.  She should be contacted by the County Health Department after she gets to her new home.  (This is one of the reasons why they wanted the address of where she was moving to in the U.S.)  That's the referral from the USPHS.

If you don't already have health insurance for her, get it now.  One of the concerns in that link above is that immigrants come here without health insurance and fail to seek out medical assistance because of the cost.

It's not a huge deal...some immigrants to the U.S. have positive TB tests.  But you do have to follow up with the local doctor.  Most people in the U.S. have never been exposed to TB, and there is a very-very-small risk of contagion.  That's why the USPHS and the County Health Department are involved.

Regards,
Vicky's Mom

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Andy_2 said:

Oh wow. Interesting. I assume the only thing we need to do is another checkup shortly after arrival. Thanks for the really helpful information.

And yes, we have health insurance.

If/when the County Health Department calls, tell them you've already seen the doctor or you've already made the appointment with the doctor.  They may want the doctor's name and then they can follow up with the doctor on what was done.

You've already got health insurance and you're already planning to do another checkup.  You are being proactive and you're not a risk.  The County won't have anything to complain about.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I also have class B attn TB in the visa.

I arrived to the US on 30th June. Nothing was asked at the POE.

But havnt received any letter or calls regarding this.

Anyone pls confirm, tentatively howlong will it get the letter ?

Any contact num or email of Health department to check my case ? Im bit worried as it might affect my status.

5 minutes ago, Nj005 said:

Anyone pls confirm, tentatively howlong will it get the letter ?

Any contact num or email of Health department to check my case ? Im bit worried as it might affect my status.

As I mentioned above, the procedure and time frame will depend on your residence state.  No need to contact the health department proactively.  Just wait for them to contact you.

Did you enter the US with a CR1/IR1 or any other immigrant visa?  If so, any state requirement related to the TB annotation will have no impact on your immigration status.  The letter I got from my state health department stated something similar.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

As I mentioned above, the procedure and time frame will depend on your residence state.  No need to contact the health department proactively.  Just wait for them to contact you.

Did you enter the US with a CR1/IR1 or any other immigrant visa?  If so, any state requirement related to the TB annotation will have no impact on your immigration status.  The letter I got from my state health department stated something similar.

Hi OP here with an update. We entered on June 29th without issues. Like the person above, we still haven't heard anything. I was a bit worried, but feel better after reading your reply.

Edited by Andy_2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.