mero38

Got rfe for proof of selective service after interview

43 posts in this topic

Hello, I just had my citizenship interview may 3rd, I passed my reading and writing and civic test, however the officer made me think I was approved and she even told me dont make travel plans for the next month for your ceremony!.. but she told me that she didn't get the chance to look at my file yet and she can't approve me untill she looks at it and make sure sure everything is in order, and she said she was gonna look at it the today ( the interview day) 

But I checked my account later that day to find she issued rfe for proof of selective service! Even though I am 38 years old and I came to the country when I was 30 years old ( not 18 to 26) so I wonder why she did that knowing I am over 31 and I shouldn't be asked for selective service according to the uscis rules! 

Has anyone been through Sam's situation like that before? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, mero38 said:

though I am 38 years old and I came to the country when I was 30 years old ( not 18 to 26) so I wonder why she did that knowing I am over 31 and I shouldn't be asked for selective service according to the uscis rules! 

Were you ever in the U.S. before age 26?

Timeline
7 hours ago, mero38 said:

No I was never, I came to the us for first time ever at the age of 30

Then your response to RFE is just that. Include the evidence that you were over age 30 the first time you entered the U.S. 

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Then your response to RFE is just that. Include the evidence that you were over age 30 the first time you entered the U.S. 

Yes I know and I already did, but I wonder why she did that even thought she knows my age and knows I first came to the us at the age of 30! And now I'm gonna have to wait forever till they get back again to my application although its not my mistake! It says now 6 months till decision :(

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mero38 said:

Yes I know and I already did, but I wonder why she did that even thought she knows my age and knows I first came to the us at the age of 30! And now I'm gonna have to wait forever till they get back again to my application although its not my mistake! It says now 6 months till decision :(

How did you answer this question on your N-400:

“44. A. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays?
(This does not include living in the United States as a lawful nonimmigrant.)”

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How did you answer this question on your N-400:

“44. A. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays?
(This does not include living in the United States as a lawful nonimmigrant.)”

I answered no because I have not!

Timeline
1 minute ago, mero38 said:

I answered no because I have not!

Strange. 

Most N-400s are DIY until they arw not.

I would do an FOIA on your CBP travel history.

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Strange. 

Most N-400s are DIY until they arw not.

I would do an FOIA on your CBP travel history.

I already answered with proof with ny first entrance to the us.. and I attached a pdf document from the selective service website stating that males older than 31 shouldn't be asked for selective service, so I should be good, but the problem now is the wait time especially when I have trip in july... I wonder if u should call the uscis 800 number and try to speak to that officer or that would mess up my case. 

39 minutes ago, mero38 said:

It says now 6 months till decision

Do not pay attention to that. My status also showed "6 months" a day before my interview and the oath that happened on the same day. I guess they just say "6 months" to legally protect themselves in case of some sort of delay on their end. 

My guess on why the officer even requested that info: taking into account she hasn't even read your file before the interview, she may have been slammed with tons of cases; as a result, due to the rush, she just didn't pay attention to the dates on your file and miscalculated your age when you entered USA. Human error, most likely. 

You will be fine. It won't take months for them to make a final decision. 

5 minutes ago, FriendlyUser said:

Do not pay attention to that. My status also showed "6 months" a day before my interview and the oath that happened on the same day. I guess they just say "6 months" to legally protect themselves in case of some sort of delay on their end. 

My guess on why the officer even requested that info: taking into account she hasn't even read your file before the interview, she may have been slammed with tons of cases; as a result, due to the rush, she just didn't pay attention to the dates on your file and miscalculated your age when you entered USA. Human error, most likely. 

You will be fine. It won't take months for them to make a final decision. 

Yes thank you, but my concern now is that I'm going in a vacation on July, so what if they scheduled me for the ceremony while I'm there.. its just 3 weeks vacation anyway 

1 minute ago, mero38 said:

my concern now is that I'm going in a vacation on July, so what if they scheduled me for the ceremony while I'm there.. its just 3 weeks vacation anyway 

Taking into account that the officer said not to make travel plans for the next month, even if it takes them a month to process your rfe, you will most likely be scheduled for a ceremony in June the latest (or in May if they work fast in your state). Anyway, it is possible to reschedule the ceremony. Just please note that your green card will be taken away during the ceremony. So you will need to apply for an expedited American passport if you are travelling abroad (make arrangements as soon as you know the date of the oath). If you are travelling inside the USA, it doesn't matter. 

1 minute ago, FriendlyUser said:

Taking into account that the officer said not to make travel plans for the next month, even if it takes them a month to process your rfe, you will most likely be scheduled for a ceremony in June the latest (or in May if they work fast in your state). Anyway, it is possible to reschedule the ceremony. Just please note that your green card will be taken away during the ceremony. So you will need to apply for an expedited American passport if you are travelling abroad (make arrangements as soon as you know the date of the oath). If you are travelling inside the USA, it doesn't matter. 

Thank you, but I don't think they will finish that fast, especially that she took my index fingerprint at the interview.. I've never heard they do that at the interview, so my guess is that she wanted to run secondary background check.., but in case they process my oath soon enough before my travel I've heard of emergency passport they do it in same day, but I dont know the process for that, so if you know about I would appreciate it if you give me some info please 

17 minutes ago, mero38 said:

especially that she took my index fingerprint at the interview

That's a standard protocol: they verify index fingerprints of everyone before they begin the actual interview. So don't worry about that. 

I do not know how to arrange an expedited passport. I'm gonna apply for a passport in two weeks only (I've just received my citizenship myself), so I'm gonna google then 😂

Timeline
2 hours ago, mero38 said:

attached a pdf document from the selective service website stating that males older than 31 shouldn't be asked for selective service

Not that it makes any difference to your case, but that is not USCIS procedure as USCIS’s web site makes clear. SSS has zero authority over USCIS. 

However, by picking that hill to die on, you might indeed have delayed your case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.