Kanjtai

f1 visa and marriage or engagement, can i still use f1 visa?

62 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Your husband can live anywhere during the process, you don't have to live together.  Bulgaria, USA, it doesn't matter.  The process takes about two years.  Your future husband needs to understand that he will have to complete an I-864 later in the process, after the I-130 petition has been approved, to show that he can sponsor you financially with a US-based income.  If he does not earn enough US-based income, he will need to find a qualified joint sponsor.  Some consulates (not sure about Bulgaria) will be more strict than others on the petitioner's US domicile (Canada is one of them), so there's that to consider as well.  I'll also say this again for emphasis:  your US citizen husband needs to thoroughly research the US immigration process if you plan do do all of this without an attorney, since he will file the petition to start the two-year journey.  He can file the I-130 petition from anywhere in the world, online, as soon as you have a marriage certificate and other supporting documents ready.  It could be filed a few days or weeks after you get married if you plan ahead.  You don't have to wait until after you finish your studies in the USA.  Make sure he fills out the I-130, question #62, with the city, province, and country where you will return after completing your studies in the US, and leave question #61 blank or put N/A.

thank you, now i understand that process takes 2 years. it is definitely more than my school time. so i decided to go back to usa to finish school, return back home without starting the visa process and then file green card in my home country because i don't want to complicate things.

after you mentioned, i will ask my husband to research the income requirement but one last question:

does his income has to be US-BASED? Can we show my income as well after i graduate and start working? or it has to be 100% his income because he is my sponsor?

i think we will want to do it without lawyer from Bulgaria(my home country). i heard many people can do it if they are careful. thank you again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Kanjtai said:

thank you, now i understand that process takes 2 years. it is definitely more than my school time. so i decided to go back to usa to finish school, return back home without starting the visa process and then file green card in my home country because i don't want to complicate things.

after you mentioned, i will ask my husband to research the income requirement but one last question:

does his income has to be US-BASED? Can we show my income as well after i graduate and start working? or it has to be 100% his income because he is my sponsor?

No, the income does not have to be US Based.  Yes, you as the intending immigrant can fill out an I864A to help meet the requirements.

14 minutes ago, Kanjtai said:

i think we will want to do it without lawyer from Bulgaria(my home country). i heard many people can do it if they are careful. thank you again.

Yes, many people do this without a lawyer particularly for easy cases.  My wife and I did it from I129F through Naturalization without paid legal help.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.