Abcd1234

Techinal question:Part 5 , i864 for parents, household size

4 posts in this topic

So i am sponsoring and filing i485, and i864 for both of my parents who are adjusting status from b2 visa. I have separate applications filled for both.

In past i have petioned and sponsored for my wife and she is permanent resident now, and i have 1 child now. This is all my family. No other dependants.

I am filing now for both of my parents and i am filling two separate i864 for them.

House hold size wise, me , my wife and my child, we are 3 members? And i am petitioning for both of my parents now.

Now i am confused in part 5 of i864.

Item 1 : asks the number in item 29, which is 1. Since my mom has a separate i864 and is also a principal applicant. So enter 1?

Item 2: yourself which is me so answer : 1

item 3: i am  married so enter 1? My wife was sponsored by me in past so do i list her in item 6 as well? That will double count her for item 8?????

item 4: dependant children: i have only 1.so enter 1

Item 5: other dependant: i have no other dependant on my tax returns and i am filing separate i864 for my mom and she is not listed dependant on my tax returns , so i guess i enter 0? 

Item 6: confusing again, it is asking for any other who was sponsored by me, my wife was in past. But then she was listed in part 3 for being my spouse.  so i guess if i list my wife in part 3 already, I dont mention her here? And enter 0 to avoid double count????because all needs to be added up for item 8.

Item 7: i have no one joint sponsor or combining income, i am sole sponser, so 0.

Item 8: what should i put there?

Please correct me where i am wrong and thanks a lot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Put 1 for your wife.

Your wife, if you file joint taxes, will have to fill and sign I-864A..That's what part 5 (3) is for. Part 5 (3) serves a totally different purpose. I've always read it to be "talking to" joint sponsors so that if a JS has a spouse, it's covered. Confusion, but that's how it is. 

Repeat same for your other parents.

It's confusing but that's how it is. You'll understand it later. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Put 1 for your wife.

Your wife, if you file joint taxes, will have to fill and sign I-864A..That's what part 5 (3) is for. Part 5 (3) serves a totally different purpose. I've always read it to be "talking to" joint sponsors so that if a JS has a spouse, it's covered. Confusion, but that's how it is. 

Repeat same for your other parents.

It's confusing but that's how it is. You'll understand it later. 

So even if my wife has 0 income, but since we file joint tax return, and even if my income exceeds the requirement,  she needs to fill i864A?

And thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.