Wahid Younis

Moving to NYC with my cat

43 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Thought you checked with all the airlines, but seems you didn't. 

So I checked myself and it seems that the only choices are flying with Air Canada or flying to another European country from the UK and then fly to the US from there - found restrictions on flying with pets from/ to the UK directly to the US-.

I've had a look and found that KLM allow pets in the cabin. There's flight from Manchester to JFK via Amsterdam but would I need a pet passport for this since I'd technically be entering the EU? 

What restrictions did you find on flying with pets directly to the US from the UK?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Wahid Younis said:

would I need a pet passport for this

What does the website say?  What do their phone agents say?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

23 minutes ago, Wahid Younis said:

I've had a look and found that KLM allow pets in the cabin. There's flight from Manchester to JFK via Amsterdam but would I need a pet passport for this since I'd technically be entering the EU? 

What restrictions did you find on flying with pets directly to the US from the UK?

Thanks

It just says it is restricted - no specific reasons given-.

24 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

What does the website say?  What do their phone agents say?

This is what it says on the KLM website:

Travel documents

Make sure to arrange your pet’s vaccinations, health certificates, and travel documents well in advance.

Dogs and cats travelling within the European Union must be identified by an electronic chip. They must also have a European passport, confirming that they’re properly vaccinated. For travel outside the European Union, other rules might apply. We recommend consulting the embassies of your departure, transfer, and arrival countries to find out which documents are required.

Is your pet refused transport or refused upon arrival, because of non-compliance with the rules established by us or by your departure, transfer, or arrival country? Please note that KLM is not responsible for any costs incurred as a result of the refusal (such as rebooking fees, hotel stay, or kennel fees).

Not sure if the European passport applies to me if I'm just transiting through Amsterdam. I will cal KLM tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

It just says it is restricted - no specific reasons given-.

Can you share the URL with me please?

So an update from my side. I spoke to a KLM agent earlier and confirmed that I can fly with my cat in the cabin. Over the phone, she actually created a temporary reservation to confirm this and was able to add my cat to the reservation which was approved immediately. The flight is from Leeds Bradford to JFK via Amsterdam. She kindly sent me a email confirmation of this for my records. She also confirmed that I only need the documents which are required by the final destination. It costs £175 to add my cat to my flight, so I'm going to go with this method now. Thanks everyone! You've been a huge help.

2 hours ago, Wahid Younis said:

So an update from my side. I spoke to a KLM agent earlier and confirmed that I can fly with my cat in the cabin. Over the phone, she actually created a temporary reservation to confirm this and was able to add my cat to the reservation which was approved immediately. The flight is from Leeds Bradford to JFK via Amsterdam. She kindly sent me a email confirmation of this for my records. She also confirmed that I only need the documents which are required by the final destination. It costs £175 to add my cat to my flight, so I'm going to go with this method now. Thanks everyone! You've been a huge help.

That's awesome! 

Cheaper and better to have your cat right there flying with you. 

15 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

That's awesome! 

Cheaper and better to have your cat right there flying with you. 

Ikr! I'm so glad it's worked out this way. So I only need a health certificate and rabies vaccination for NYC right? I'm just wondering if there's any UK requirements?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, Wahid Younis said:

Ikr! I'm so glad it's worked out this way. So I only need a health certificate and rabies vaccination for NYC right? I'm just wondering if there's any UK requirements?

For NYC:

https://agriculture.ny.gov/animals/companion-animals

For the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-a-noneu-country#:~:text=If you're travelling to,tell you how to apply.

(Though I think it does not apply as you're traveling to the Netherlands first) 

For the Netherlands (just in case):

https://www.government.nl/topics/holidays-and-travels/question-and-answer/can-i-bring-a-pet-from-another-country-to-the-netherlands

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, Wahid Younis said:

That's great that you've got this sorted out. Obviously I was giving you my experience of moving a large dog - but this sounds like a really good way of travelling with your cat (and much cheaper!) VisaJourney is wonderful for getting this sort of advice. It was a huge help to me when I was preparing to move. I hope everything goes well with your move.

17 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If I'm going to be honest, I'm confused now. I thought I only needed an AHC (Animal Health Certificate) and rabies vaccination to take my cat to NYC. In the GOV UK link you sent me, it states the following:

Travelling to a non-EU country

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an export health certificate (EHC). You’ll also need to complete an export application form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.

The export health certificate and the export application form for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

So here it's saying that I need to get an EHC and complete and EXA. I don't really understand why this is required when I'll already be getting an AHC. Seems like to me that an AHC and EHC are the same thing? When you go to the following link https://www.gov.uk/export-health-certificates, I can't find a EHC for exporting a cat to the USA, which confuses me even more.

Also when you go to the Netherlands Government page https://english.nvwa.nl/topics/travelling-to-the-netherlands-with-your-dog-or-cat/travelling-with-your-pet-from-a-country-outside-the-eu-via-the-netherlands, it says the following about cats in transit:

Travelling with your pet and making a transit

I am arriving by plane with my dog or cat from a third country before travelling on to another third country.

Dogs or cats in transit must meet the EU import requirements.

Exceptions are only permitted if the animal remains in the international area of the airport, at your own risk and under the following conditions:

• The dog or cat must remain within the international transit zone of the airport and may have no contact with other animals.
  • Under no circumstances may the dog or cat leave the international zone, including in the event of delays.

In case of unforeseen events, such as medical necessity or delayed flights, the international zone of the airport does not have the required facilities to house the animals, not even temporarily. It is therefore preferable for the animal to meet the EU requirements. That is the safest option.

If you continue your journey with your pet by boat or car (for example to the United Kingdom), this exception does not apply, and your pet must at all times meet the EU import requirements.

If your pet is travelling in cargo and temporarily staying in one of the sheds at the airport, your pet needs to meet the EU import requirements and Customs or the NVWA will inspect your pet.

So based on this, as long as I'm in transit and don't leave the international area of the airport, then I don't need to meet the EU import requirements, but just to be on the safe side, it's best if the cat does meet the EU import requirements.

So if you look at this page https://english.nvwa.nl/topics/brexit/taking-pets-to-and-from-the-united-kingdom-after-brexit, then the only requirements are to for the cat to be microchipped (my cat already is), have a rabies vaccination and an AHC, which is basically the same requirements as NYC. Therefore both the EU and NYC requirements will be satisfied with the same things. It also has the same requirements on the GOV UK website https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-northern-ireland.

Interestingly, I found this article on transiting through Amsterdam https://www.petrelocation.com/blog/post/pet-travel-layover-and-transit-requirements-at-airports. So best case scenario, I don't need to show any document when I'm transiting through Amsterdam and worse case scenario I do, but I'll have those documents anyway as the requirements are the same as NYC.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the EHC and EXA mentioned on the GOV UK website. Does anyone have any experience with this? Your help will be really appreciated.

Sorry for the long message, but I need to be absolutely sure about this.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Ewan said:

That's great that you've got this sorted out. Obviously I was giving you my experience of moving a large dog - but this sounds like a really good way of travelling with your cat (and much cheaper!) VisaJourney is wonderful for getting this sort of advice. It was a huge help to me when I was preparing to move. I hope everything goes well with your move.

Yes absolutely and thank you so much!

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 4/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, Wahid Younis said:

If I'm going to be honest, I'm confused now. I thought I only needed an AHC (Animal Health Certificate) and rabies vaccination to take my cat to NYC. In the GOV UK link you sent me, it states the following:

Travelling to a non-EU country

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an export health certificate (EHC). You’ll also need to complete an export application form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.

The export health certificate and the export application form for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

So here it's saying that I need to get an EHC and complete and EXA. I don't really understand why this is required when I'll already be getting an AHC. Seems like to me that an AHC and EHC are the same thing? When you go to the following link https://www.gov.uk/export-health-certificates, I can't find a EHC for exporting a cat to the USA, which confuses me even more.

Also when you go to the Netherlands Government page https://english.nvwa.nl/topics/travelling-to-the-netherlands-with-your-dog-or-cat/travelling-with-your-pet-from-a-country-outside-the-eu-via-the-netherlands, it says the following about cats in transit:

Travelling with your pet and making a transit

I am arriving by plane with my dog or cat from a third country before travelling on to another third country.

Dogs or cats in transit must meet the EU import requirements.

Exceptions are only permitted if the animal remains in the international area of the airport, at your own risk and under the following conditions:

• The dog or cat must remain within the international transit zone of the airport and may have no contact with other animals.
  • Under no circumstances may the dog or cat leave the international zone, including in the event of delays.

In case of unforeseen events, such as medical necessity or delayed flights, the international zone of the airport does not have the required facilities to house the animals, not even temporarily. It is therefore preferable for the animal to meet the EU requirements. That is the safest option.

If you continue your journey with your pet by boat or car (for example to the United Kingdom), this exception does not apply, and your pet must at all times meet the EU import requirements.

If your pet is travelling in cargo and temporarily staying in one of the sheds at the airport, your pet needs to meet the EU import requirements and Customs or the NVWA will inspect your pet.

So based on this, as long as I'm in transit and don't leave the international area of the airport, then I don't need to meet the EU import requirements, but just to be on the safe side, it's best if the cat does meet the EU import requirements.

So if you look at this page https://english.nvwa.nl/topics/brexit/taking-pets-to-and-from-the-united-kingdom-after-brexit, then the only requirements are to for the cat to be microchipped (my cat already is), have a rabies vaccination and an AHC, which is basically the same requirements as NYC. Therefore both the EU and NYC requirements will be satisfied with the same things. It also has the same requirements on the GOV UK website https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-northern-ireland.

Interestingly, I found this article on transiting through Amsterdam https://www.petrelocation.com/blog/post/pet-travel-layover-and-transit-requirements-at-airports. So best case scenario, I don't need to show any document when I'm transiting through Amsterdam and worse case scenario I do, but I'll have those documents anyway as the requirements are the same as NYC.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the EHC and EXA mentioned on the GOV UK website. Does anyone have any experience with this? Your help will be really appreciated.

Sorry for the long message, but I need to be absolutely sure about this.

Thanks

Yes absolutely and thank you so much!

At the risk of causing more confusion (but hopefully not), I went back through my documents to see what I had to do in 2021 - bearing in mind this was to transport a dog in the cargo hold.

I needed to provide PetAir UK:

• A rabies vaccine certificate and proof of other vaccinations.
  • A Fitness to Fly Certificate (done by a vet after an examination and valid only for 10 days).
  • An Acclimatisation Declaration (only needed for a pet travelling in the cargo hold, also done by the vet)

American Airlines provided a Customs Clearance Pack through PetAir UK for their purposes, which included:

• A breed verification form (completed by vet)
  • A Customs Power of Attorney (completed by me)
  • A shipper's certification (completed by me)

Again, these might only be necessary if an animal travels in the cargo hold and is taken to customs officials for pickup.

I did a quick search on the UK Government website section about "Find an export health certificate". When you search for USA and pets, it says there are no matching results. But always best to check.
https://www.gov.uk/export-health-certificates?keywords=dog&destination_country[]=usa&commodity_type[]=pets&certificate_status[]=active

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.