iamanamericanwife

Green card lost and expiring, should we apply for citizenshipship?

65 posts in this topic

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

You need to convince USCIS to give you stamp without filing I-90. They will likely insist on filing it. LPR suppose to have GC, and if it's lost, damaged or expired - file I-90.

Has your husband called them and asked for an appointment?

We tried. They have an automated system that does not let us talk with a person until paperwork is pending.

Timeline

1. We tried to go through the system saying "I-551 stamp" next question is "do you have documents pending?" If you answer "yes" and you says it is a "N-400" the system says: "did you apply 6 months before your I-551 expired?" If you says "No" the answer is "you need to apply for an I-90"

So, it seems stupid to me but unless you apply for N-400, 6 months before the GC expires you cannot get a I-551 stamp without applying also for a I-90. Not sure why.

I think if you apply for N-400 6 months before GC expiration you would be able to get a I-551 stamp if the phisical GC id is missing.

2. We tried to call in and says "Infopass."  It tried to connect me with a human but they are currently closed. I can try again tomorrow.

But it looks like we need both a I-90 and N-400 applications and then ask for a I-551 stamp based on the I-90 pending.

3. What is the current N-400 processing time? Does it depend on your local office? What is the chance that we will be done with N-400 before July 10?

4. Can you decide the date for the in-person appointments or do they decide the date? What happen if you are abroad and you cannot go?

Edited by iamanamericanwife
Add more points

8 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

1. We tried to go through the system saying "I-551 stamp" next question is "do you have documents pending?" If you answer "yes" and you says it is a "N-400" the system says: "did you apply 6 months before your I-551 expired?" If you says "No" the answer is "you need to apply for an I-90"

So, it seems stupid to me but unless you apply for N-400, 6 months before the GC expires you cannot get a I-551 stamp without applying also for a I-90. Not sure why.

I think if you apply for N-400 6 months before GC expiration you would be able to get a I-551 stamp if the phisical GC id is missing.

2. We tried to call in and says "Infopass."  It tried to connect me with a human but they are currently closed. I can try again tomorrow.

But it looks like we need both a I-90 and N-400 applications and then ask for a I-551 stamp based on the I-90 pending.

3. What is the current N-400 processing time? Does it depend on your local office? What is the chance that we will be done with N-400 before July 10?

4. Can you decide the date for the in-person appointments or do they decide the date? What happen if you are abroad and you cannot go?

3. See waiting times for your local office here: 

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

4. Do you mean the ADIT stamp appointment? Because you can ask for an I-551 to be sent to you by mail. 

Timeline

On 5. I was talking about biometric, tests, interview and pledge of allegiance.

And let me add another thing. We are moving to Florida around June 15. How moving is going to affect everything?

Details

6 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

And let me add another thing. We are moving to Florida around June 15. How moving is going to affect everything?

It's already complex as is 😅

It will slow down the N-400 processing. 

22 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

What is the chance that we will be done with N-400 before July 10?

Even with some offices being super fast, realistically, don't expect to get him naturalized and have US passport before July 10. The chance of this happening is close to 5%. I'd say realistically you're looking into 6-9 months for the whole process in a fast location.

Edited by OldUser

21 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

On 5. I was talking about biometric, tests, interview and pledge of allegiance.

They decide on the dates for everything.

And as @OldUsersaid, July is beyond optimistic. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

@OldUser

3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

They decide on the dates for everything.

And as @OldUsersaid, July is beyond optimistic. 

Can you reschedule if the dates do not work for you? 

We were going to be in Europe for 1 month starting July 10.

Let me add another thing 😓. My husband was laid off this month and he does not have a job yet. He was going to wait to look until after the move. I am an housewife. Does it this affect the I-90 or N-400 in any way?

Just now, iamanamericanwife said:

Let me add another thing 😓. My husband was laid off this month and he does not have a job yet. He was going to wait to look until after the move. I am an housewife. Does it this affect the I-90 or N-400 in any way?

No, unemployment won't be a problem. He'd have to show 5 years of tax return trascripts though. This is to demonstrate good moral character, e.g. he never failed to pay taxes.

2 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

Sometimes USCIS denies cases for not showing to appointment, even if you asked to reschedule. Sometimes they don't deny it, but never call back and case is delayed for months. So ideally do not reschedule.

We were going to be in Europe for 1 month starting July 10.

You have not even filed, have you? So no risk of having an interview scheduled in July. 

And you can definitely reschedule but I would avoid that at all costs - have read enough horror stories already-.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You have not even filed, have you? So no risk of having an interview scheduled in July. 

And you can definitely reschedule but I would avoid that at all costs - have read enough horror stories already-.

We have not but I was going to do it this week. 

If we want to leave the country we need to file the I-90 at least. That has at least one appointment ( biometric) right?

If we do not start the N-400 we will have to wait 3 months after we move. For some other awkward reason you cannot file if you have not lived for at least 3 months in that state. For some reasons, I have a feeling that we need to apply sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, iamanamericanwife said:

We have not but I was going to do it this week. 

If we want to leave the country we need to file the I-90 at least. That has at least one appointment ( biometric) right?

If we do not start the N-400 we will have to wait 3 months after we move. For some other awkward reason you cannot file if you have not lived for at least 3 months in that state. For some reasons, I have a feeling that we need to apply sooner than later.

Moving after filing is risky as well - very high probability of getting mail sent to your old address-.

Tomorrow call again, say Infopass and ask for the I-551 to be mailed.

Travel in July, enjoy vacation with no worries and file once you've lived the required 3 months in Florida. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Moving after filing is risky as well - very high probability of getting mail sent to your old address-.

Tomorrow call again, say Infopass and ask for the I-551 to be mailed.

Travel in July, enjoy vacation with no worries and file once you've lived the required 3 months in Florida. 

We can do a mail forward for the mail. I also think you get notify online if you apply online.

Can they send a I-551 stamp with nothing pending at all?

We can do a mail forward for the mail. I also think you get notify online if you apply online.

Can they send a I-551 stamp with nothing pending at all?

USCIS official notifications cannot be forwarded. 

And you would need to file the I-90 to get the stamp. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.