GaryC

Clinton's Hostile Preschool Takeover

149 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
ET-yes they are both exempt from the 1st 10k. YOU said it was equal & fair for everyone. so i put simple round #s in there to try to get you to explain, how 1 person paying taxes on any percentage their income & 1 person not paying taxes on any of their income is fair. and you can't.

Flat taxes are regressive anyway; I don't think they're fair at all.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
which is refunded at the end of the year, so in essence they don't pay income tax, which has been everyone's point.

Their point is that they dislike anyone taking more from the system than they put in. Which is fine, but they cannot falsely claim that the poor and working poor don't taxes; he claimed that "the POOR do not pay TAXES," which is wholly false.

in essence, he's right. when this aforementioned gal paid in about 2500 over the year and gets back close to 5k, what would you call it? is she really paying taxes? :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Bingo.

Gary, your ideas're nowhere near the mainstream or majority, not for the Republicans or the Democrats. And while you're certainly entitled to your beliefs, acting as if they're widely-held is disingenuous. Far's "kook fringe" goes, again, check your mirror. All I've advocated is allowing two of President Bush's three tax packages to expire, whereas you're accusing the wicked government of wanting to "take over every aspect of your life."

when this aforementioned gal paid in about 2500 over the year and gets back close to 5k, what would you call it? is she really paying taxes?

I call it someone who paid their income taxes, but also benefits from government assistance. Her income tax dollars still financed the previous fiscal year's budget. You can't accuse people who take government assistance of not paying their income taxes, though.

Edited by Longview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bingo.

Gary, your ideas're nowhere near the mainstream or majority, not for the Republicans or the Democrats. And while you're certainly entitled to your beliefs, acting as if they're widely-held is disingenuous. Far's "kook fringe" goes, again, check your mirror. All I've advocated is allowing two of President Bush's three tax packages to expire, whereas you're accusing the wicked government of wanting to "take over every aspect of your life."

when this aforementioned gal paid in about 2500 over the year and gets back close to 5k, what would you call it? is she really paying taxes?

I call it someone who paid their income taxes, but also benefits from government assistance. Her income tax dollars still financed the previous fiscal year's budget. You can't accuse people who take government assistance of not paying their income taxes, though.

if she financed the previous fiscal year, that's a heck of an interest rate :lol:

and still she didn't pay any taxes when it's all said and done, she just made a temporary loan ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ET-yes they are both exempt from the 1st 10k. YOU said it was equal & fair for everyone. so i put simple round #s in there to try to get you to explain, how 1 person paying taxes on any percentage their income & 1 person not paying taxes on any of their income is fair. and you can't.

How is it not fair?

If you're making the statutory minumum (as hard as it is to believe that there are people out there who make $10K or less per year) - you have less disposible income than someone who makes 10 times that amount. That's just simple mathematics surely...?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What you all don't seem to realize is this will all be moot when the zombie holocaust strikes.

12/13/04 - Met online

04/02/05 - 1st of 5 trips to the Philippines. The last of which I spent 6 months.

04/02/07- 129-F sent to NSC

04/09/07- Receipt notice date for NOA1

04/13/07- Received NOA1

07/09/07- Touched - Due to phone call I am guessing

07/10/07- 2nd touch hmmmm should I be excited? HAHA

07/11/07- 3rd touch - may or may not be due to a phone call.

07/16/07- 4th touch

07/17/07- 5th touch

07/20/07- NOA2

07/26/07- Received NOA2 hard copy

07/26/07- Received by NVC

07/30/07- NVC Shipped petition to Manila Embassy

10/05/07- Interview date WOW/ Approved

My photos

What you all don't seem to realize is this will all be moot when the zombie holocaust strikes.

Not only do zombies not pay taxes, they eat the taxman!

bless them

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

How is it not fair?

If you're making the statutory minumum (as hard as it is to believe that there are people out there who make $10K or less per year) - you have less disposible income than someone who makes 10 times that amount. That's just simple mathematics surely...?

There are some disadvantages to a flat tax.

In order to to keep the government income the same, people in the lower tax brackets will be paying much more than they do now in taxes. Which may make them more dependent on government services to survive. Unless you make the make the bracket where taxes start much higher than $10,000

Progressive taxes help keep wealth balanced throughout the economy. It prevents, at least to an extent, most of the wealth ending up in the top 5-10%.

A flat tax would make things a lot simpler, and take reduce the costs of the IRS and tax collection system. It would also put a lot of tax accountants out of work. I guess the question is, are the savings worth the costs?

keTiiDCjGVo

Every person gets to keep 10K free from taxation. That is fair. The fact that one person may be paying more or being taxed on a higher percentage of the income is about as fair or unfair as one person making a higher income. What sense woud it make to tax the existential minimum? :wacko:

How is it not fair?

In order to to keep the government income the same, people in the lower tax brackets will be paying much more than they do now in taxes.

Not necessarily. I am saying one flat tax on income and nothing else. No wheel tax, no gas tax, no sales tax, no property tax. Nothing but an income tax. Take all these other taxes together and calculate that as a percentage for a low income family and you'll find that low income folks are taxed quite heavily today relative to their income. ;)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
How is it not fair?

In order to to keep the government income the same, people in the lower tax brackets will be paying much more than they do now in taxes.

Not necessarily. I am saying one flat tax on income and nothing else. No wheel tax, no gas tax, no sales tax, no property tax. Nothing but an income tax. Take all these other taxes together and calculate that as a percentage for a low income family and you'll find that low income folks are taxed quite heavily today relative to their income. ;)

Very true - I make a tad more than $10K a year - but I figured out not so long ago that with taxes and health deductions I actually make less than I did in the UK. The sales tax is a deceptive one too as its added almost everything you buy - surely the ultimate stealth tax. Hard to say what it actually costs the average person per year - odds are you don't think much about it.

Edited by Number 6

How is it not fair?

hell, i knew what you meant last night. i've just been waiting for you to spit it out. :devil: (this is america we all have to do our part, to keep it going in the right direction. even if it means paying a few more dollars than our neighbor)

Bingo.

I am square in the middle of the mainstream. It's you that are on the fringe.

You advocate letting the Bush tax cuts expire. Why? Those tax cuts are what has made our economy as strong as it is. And you call yourself an economist.

Here is a very good article about the tax cuts. Follow the link and you will get a detailed explanation of each point from real economists that know what they are talking about. I am sure all you will do is bash the source. That is what your kind does when faced with the truth. But please read and learn something.

Ten Myths About the Bush Tax Cuts—and the Facts

Myth #1: Tax revenues remain low.

Fact: Tax revenues are above the historical average, even after the tax cuts.

Myth #2: The Bush tax cuts substantially reduced 2006 revenues and expanded the budget deficit.

Fact: Nearly all of the 2006 budget deficit resulted from additional spending above the baseline.

Myth #3: Supply-side economics assumes that all tax cuts immediately pay for themselves.

Fact: It assumes replenishment of some but not necessarily all lost revenues.

Myth #4: Capital gains tax cuts do not pay for themselves.

Fact: Capital gains tax revenues doubled following the 2003 tax cut.

Myth #5: The Bush tax cuts are to blame for the projected long-term budget deficits.

Fact: Projections show that entitlement costs will dwarf the projected large revenue increases.

Myth #6: Raising tax rates is the best way to raise revenue.

Fact: Tax revenues correlate with economic growth, not tax rates.

Myth #7: Reversing the upper-income tax cuts would raise substantial revenues.

Fact: The low-income tax cuts reduced revenues the most.

Myth #8: Tax cuts help the economy by "putting money in people's pockets."

Fact: Pro-growth tax cuts support incentives for productive behavior.

Myth #9: The Bush tax cuts have not helped the economy.

Fact: The economy responded strongly to the 2003 tax cuts.

Myth #10: The Bush tax cuts were tilted toward the rich.

Fact: The rich are now shouldering even more of the income tax burden.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/bg2001.cfm