SanfordnBonnie

Can I co-title my house with my wife without a SSN?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello,

I am buying a home with my wife next week. Does anyone know if I will run into any problems putting my wife's name on the title also? She does not have a SSN yet, only I will be on the loan and the plan is to put her on the title as well.

Thanks,

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Hello,

I am buying a home with my wife next week. Does anyone know if I will run into any problems putting my wife's name on the title also? She does not have a SSN yet, only I will be on the loan and the plan is to put her on the title as well.

Thanks,

Ask the title company, and the bank who is going to give you the loan.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Can do it in Alabama, we did. Check with your real estate agent.

After the loan process just have an attorney do a quit claim deed so that the home will be in both names. The bank that did the loan will not have anything to do with it. The title company can register this as well while doing the title papers if you ask them.

Met in Medellin Colombia October 06

Was in Medellin 1 week every month for the the year

Married June 28th 07 Wedding in Bello ( applied for residence in Colombia, granted temporal residencia for 2 years.)

07/07/07 Sent i-130

07/17/07 NOA1

03/24/08 Touched

03/24/08 Called

04/17/08 Touched

04/23/08 Called again

05/14/08 Approved Email notification

08/14/07 I129f sent

09/20/07 NOA1

05/14/08 Approved Email notification

04/24/08 Touched

Need the i129 approval

An SSN is not required to be on the title. You can do that easily, especially if it were an all cash purchase. The bank will hold a lien on the title, and might have issues with you doing a quit claim or otherwise trying to deed a property in part or whole to a person not party to their lien. Check with your real estate attorney and bank. The bank may not care if she doesn't have an SSN (it means they can't do a credit check), but if your liability is severable you should be ok.

After the loan process just have an attorney do a quit claim deed so that the home will be in both names. The bank that did the loan will not have anything to do with it. The title company can register this as well while doing the title papers if you ask them.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Quit Claim?????

A quit claim does not transfer title........you onlky sign away any claim that you may have had in the real property whether it was a valid claim or not.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Quit Claim?????

A quit claim does not transfer title........you onlky sign away any claim that you may have had in the real property whether it was a valid claim or not.

No, a quit claim deed could be used in this situation, but it would just cost you more money in transfer tax to add her that way later. Only do this if the bank will not allow her to be on the deed. Just have the title company/real estate attorney add her to your deed. You will likely have to have an addendum to the purchase agreement made to cover the title company in that instance, but the addendum is a very simple thing to do. Depending on the state you live in, your wife may also have to sign the mortgage to acknowledge that it exists if it is your primary home. This is not a big deal, and has nothing to do with her being liable for the loan itself. In some certain states, your wife has interest in your primary residence whether you actually put her on the deed or not.

The only thing you have to be careful about is when you sell your home. If at some point, this is not the primary residence for both of you, like if you rent it out, you may be subject to backup witholding tax under FIRPTA if your wife is not a citizen at the time.

Allison (real estate paralegal)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just closed a house last month in Texas. Process I used was to get power of attorney for the transaction of the purchase of the home. The title company drew the papers up and I signed my wife's name by my name with other legal terminology. I would expect the title company to be able to help apply local laws.

However, it did take time to get the POA taken dealt with. In philippines, the consoluate had to notarize the papers. The originals had to be send back for the closing.

I-130

2007-01-06 I-130 Sent

2007-02-21 I-130 NOA1

2007-02-22 I-130 pending at California Service Center

I130 ????

????

????

????

I-129F

2007-03-10 I-129F Sent

2007-03-19 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-05 I-129F transfered to California Service Center

2007-04-11 I-129F NOA2 --> False Approval Computer Glitch

2007-07-13 I-129F NOA2 Approved

2007-07-26 Transferred to Manila Embassy - No notification to date

I-129F ????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.