Hoanth

Should I apply for N-400 with trip less than 6 months?

9 posts in this topic

I've been LPR for a little over 5 years (DV category, if it matters). I'd like to file for naturalization.

In 2018, after residing in the US for several months, I took a trip back to my country of origin for 166 days. This is under 180, but I did not maintain an US address during that time - this is visible from the address history section, where there's a gap between two different addresses that coincide with the leaving and return dates of that trip. 

Since then, I've spent the majority of my time in the US. I've visited my family abroad once or twice a year, with trips of either 1 or 2 months each. In total, over 5 years, I'll have spent 401 days out of the US, with no trips longer than 180 days. I have never had trouble being admitted into the US.
(I did have another long trip shortly after obtaining my GC, also of just under 180 days and without US address, which I am currently waiting out - that one'll fall off the 5 years period this April).

Given these circumstances, is it a risky move to apply for naturalization? Or do I stand a good chance of approval, at least based on the absence?

(I also have yet to file taxes, since I've been a student and never owed anything. However I've read that it is always strongly recommended to file anyway.)

• 1 month later...

One further question - I've filed my N400.

I was not sure whether to put my parents' foreign address where I stayed during that 5 months absence - in the section where it asks for my past 5 years' address history. Or, alternatively, whether I should've left a gap in my address history, writing in nothing for those 5 months.

On someone else's advice, I put down my parents' address eventually. However, and I may be overthinking it here, I'm now worrying this may end up being considered as me considering myself to have resided abroad, and therefore a break in continuity of residence (or something like that).

Am I overthinking? Will it be fine?

2 minutes ago, Hoanth said:

I already applied - what I'm asking about is if my writing in that address will cause issues

Possibly. It will likely raise eyebrows of IO.

I think you should have thought this through before applying. The problem now is, you cannot say it was a mistake, since you didn't have a US address for that time period. If you maintained rent in the US, you could have treated this as a temporary visit overseas and list your US address. But now it's kind of murky waters.

Any advice @Mike E?  Is withdrawal of petition the right step or should @Hoanth be preparing explanation for the interview?

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.