mista

Dad has mild schizophrenia -- will that disqualify him during medical exam?

26 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, DaryaDel said:

Hi Mista, i had my mom's medical exams few week ago and the Dr. did ask if she has any mental issues which we answered no. Otherwise he just took some blood tests and chest listening and told us if the blood test results comes back , we may have to go for an x-ray or he will have a chat with us. Once again, the mental question was a quick one but he kind of looked very intensive and long at my mom when she answered.

Thank you! This is super helpful -- couple of questions. Did the Dr ask for a list of medications your mom is on? My dad wouldn't be lying by saying he doesn't have mental issues since his condition is so mild and he's fully functional but he is taking medication so we don't want to lie about that. 

59 minutes ago, DaryaDel said:

*Forgot to mention, they require 5-6 vaccine records which we did not have for a 87 years old women during her move to U.S. So she had to take them all again. Make sure that you get those from his Dr. too

Did your mom have to get all the vaccines on the same day as the exam? Or did they let her spread it out over a few days

34 minutes ago, mista said:

Thank you! This is super helpful -- couple of questions. Did the Dr ask for a list of medications your mom is on? My dad wouldn't be lying by saying he doesn't have mental issues since his condition is so mild and he's fully functional but he is taking medication so we don't want to lie about that. 

Did your mom have to get all the vaccines on the same day as the exam? Or did they let her spread it out over a few days

Actually yes, the Dr. asked about the medication she is taking. In regards of the vaccines, he mentioned the blood test results will be available within 5 business days but did not really give any time frame  as when to give him the vaccine records. But since we wanted to get all done quick, we spread out the vaccines within 2-4 days depending how fast we could get an appointment at the pharmacies. He did suggest we should go to pharmacies as it is cheaper than going to primary care office for vaccines.   

Hope our experience at the medical exams will help you a bit on getting ready for your dad's exams.

1 hour ago, DaryaDel said:

we spread out the vaccines within 2-4 days depending how fast we could get an appointment at the pharmacies. He did suggest we should go to pharmacies as it is cheaper than going to primary care office for vaccines. 

Oh I didn't know we could choose where to get the vaccines from -- we were assuming they would be giving the vaccines during the medical exam. Am I missing anything from the steps below?

(1) medical exam which includes blood tests and current medication review

(2) get vaccines from outside

(3) go back to the doctor after all vaccines are done, and maybe get the chest x-ray done based on step (1)

(4) get packet to take to the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, mista said:

He cannot say he does not have a mental illness or condition just because you think it is mild. This is a big lie do not avoid disclosing this. He needs a medical diagnose and treatment from the doctor treating him. Get this before the medical.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 2/7/2023 at 9:52 AM, mista said:

Oh I didn't know we could choose where to get the vaccines from -- we were assuming they would be giving the vaccines during the medical exam. Am I missing anything from the steps below?

(1) medical exam which includes blood tests and current medication review

(2) get vaccines from outside

(3) go back to the doctor after all vaccines are done, and maybe get the chest x-ray done based on step (1)

(4) get packet to take to the interview

On Step 3, you do not need to go back to Dr. unless the test results show another review with the Dr. They told us that if blood tests don't look good, he will call us and we need to go to see him, it may also then require x-rays .

On my case, we were just able to send the Dr. the vaccine records via text instead of going to visit him again. Blood test results for my mom was OK and vaccine records sent to him via text, so only getting the exam package for the Immigration office

1 hour ago, DaryaDel said:

On Step 3, you do not need to go back to Dr. unless the test results show another review with the Dr. They told us that if blood tests don't look good, he will call us and we need to go to see him, it may also then require x-rays .

On my case, we were just able to send the Dr. the vaccine records via text instead of going to visit him again. Blood test results for my mom was OK and vaccine records sent to him via text, so only getting the exam package for the Immigration office

Seems like it's a little different where my dad is. They were trying to schedule my dad for the day before the interview and said the embassy would get the results within 3 hours of the exam electronically. Not sure how that would leave any time go get vaccines or do follow ups later. We were able to (with some pleading because they said they're really busy) schedule the medical exam a week before the interview. Maybe they give vaccines and do x-rays to everyone during the medical exam is the only thing I can think of and it doesn't seem like there's any physical packages to take.

15 hours ago, mista said:

Seems like it's a little different where my dad is. They were trying to schedule my dad for the day before the interview and said the embassy would get the results within 3 hours of the exam electronically. Not sure how that would leave any time go get vaccines or do follow ups later. We were able to (with some pleading because they said they're really busy) schedule the medical exam a week before the interview. Maybe they give vaccines and do x-rays to everyone during the medical exam is the only thing I can think of and it doesn't seem like there's any physical packages to take.

You maybe right . For my mom, she is already in the U.S. and these were the steps we took. Seems your Dad is still  in his country and obviously processes are different. 

• 2 weeks later...

My dad got his medical exam and truthfully answered the question about what mediations he is on. Which then prompted the question about what they were for -- he then gave them a letter from his doctor saying he has mild schizophrenia and that he has been stable for decades and travels frequently. The doctor said he would write exactly that on his form which would be submitted to the embassy electronically along with a scan of his doctors note. Interestingly there was no blood test (just his chest x-ray and 2 vaccines given at the same time as the exam).

Anyone have thoughts on how this will play out during the interview so he can prepare for potential questions then about his schizophrenia? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, mista said:

My dad got his medical exam and truthfully answered the question about what mediations he is on. Which then prompted the question about what they were for -- he then gave them a letter from his doctor saying he has mild schizophrenia and that he has been stable for decades and travels frequently. The doctor said he would write exactly that on his form which would be submitted to the embassy electronically along with a scan of his doctors note. Interestingly there was no blood test (just his chest x-ray and 2 vaccines given at the same time as the exam).

Anyone have thoughts on how this will play out during the interview so he can prepare for potential questions then about his schizophrenia? 

That is exactly what you wanted to happen. Since he had everything needed for the doctor, he was able to complete the medical without sending your father for further evaluation. It looks good and I don't see anymore coming of it. But as the saying goes the only guaranty in life is death and taxes.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.