Benny4352

Louisiana Driving License

5 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm struggling to find more information and was wondering if people had already gone through this could help me out.

According to the document here: https://public.powerdms.com/LADPSC/documents/368156

Under K-1 it has this note next to it

"Note: Once married to a US Citizen, must provide the passport, marriage license certificate, and Notice of Action I-797 for change of status to be issued a DL/ID."

Now the notice i got from USCIS was an I-797C to say they have received my application for AOS and according to the document above:

"I-797 Receipt for application for extension"

So I'm not sure if i am able to get a license with my I-797C or whether i need the full I-797 which i presume i get when my AOS is approved?

If anyone can provide any insight at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Benny4352

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

https://public.powerdms.com/LADPSC/documents/368156

Applicants for

Permanent

Residency

1-485

General - Application for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident is made on the 1-485 form.

Required Documentation

Applicants in the pending stage must show a receipt of application to the Department of Homeland Security. The receipt contains the applicant's name and the fees paid.

1 hour ago, Benny4352 said:

I'm struggling to find more information and was wondering if people had already gone through this could help me out.

I'm not a K1 visa holder, but I did recently get a learner's permit from the Louisiana OMV.  If your existing DL is from the UK, you will likely need a learner's permit as well.  Check with the OMV staff if you will be allowed to take the road test with your UK DL without getting a learner's permit and going to driving school first.

You cannot get a Louisiana DL/learner's permit/state ID as a K1 visa holder (prior to I-485 filing).  On Table 2 of the PDF you linked, for K1 -- "No Issuance by OMV".  Instead, you should apply as an "Applicant for Permanent Residency I-485" (listed in Table 1).  Don't even mention K1 as it will just confuse the OMV staff.

As an I-485 applicant, bring the following original documents to the OMV --

1. Foreign passport
  2. SSN card
  3. Unexpired EAD card
  4. I-797 (I-485 receipt notice)
  5. Proof of residence (any US government/bank/insurance-issued letter with your name and Louisiana address)

Lastly, make sure you have a confirmed appointment before you go to the OMV.  No need to print the appointment confirmation.  Just show the staff the OMV email or text message on your phone.  At the branch I went to, those with appointments did not need to line up.  We sat at the waiting area until our name was called.  Those who had no appointments for that day had to wait in line outside until all those who had appointments completed their business at the OMV.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

I'm not a K1 visa holder, but I did recently get a learner's permit from the Louisiana OMV.  If your existing DL is from the UK, you will likely need a learner's permit as well.  Check with the OMV staff if you will be allowed to take the road test with your UK DL without getting a learner's permit and going to driving school first.

You cannot get a Louisiana DL/learner's permit/state ID as a K1 visa holder (prior to I-485 filing).  On Table 2 of the PDF you linked, for K1 -- "No Issuance by OMV".  Instead, you should apply as an "Applicant for Permanent Residency I-485" (listed in Table 1).  Don't even mention K1 as it will just confuse the OMV staff.

As an I-485 applicant, bring the following original documents to the OMV --

1. Foreign passport
  2. SSN card
  3. Unexpired EAD card
  4. I-797 (I-485 receipt notice)
  5. Proof of residence (any US government/bank/insurance-issued letter with your name and Louisiana address)

Lastly, make sure you have a confirmed appointment before you go to the OMV.  No need to print the appointment confirmation.  Just show the staff the OMV email or text message on your phone.  At the branch I went to, those with appointments did not need to line up.  We sat at the waiting area until our name was called.  Those who had no appointments for that day had to wait in line outside until all those who had appointments completed their business at the OMV.

Perfect thank you so much for your help!

I'll make an appointment and take all those with me. They make all this so confusing sometimes.

Managed to get an appointment today at 2pm, looks like someone cancelled theirs.

As @Chancy kindly said with all the information above I was able to get my drivers permit so need to get my drivers Ed booked.

Hoping this helps people in the future!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.