VINHIVY

Question regarding I-797 extension letter for 24 months

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

It's been  a long time (since AOS) that I've visited this site. Along with many others, my wife received her I-797 Notice of Action, 24 month extension of her conditional permanent resident status. This extension will expire January 2024. My question is, will I need to do anything as that timeline approaches or will USCIS automatically extend her status again? Upon some research, some people have said that I have to file an extension within 90 days of the expiration?

I've been out of the loop for a long time and would appreciate any advice, insight or direction on what to do. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people here because they have helped us throughout our visa journey since 2017.

Thank you in advance,

V

Hi @VINHIVY, USCIS does not extend the extension letters. Extension letters only extend green cards, and only up to 2 years.

If your wife's case is not decided in 2024, and extension letter is expiring, she would have to contact USCIS to get InfoPass appointment. She will have to show up at local field office to receive I-551 stamp in passport, which will be valid for 1 year. And keep doing it until case is decided.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

@OldUser Correct. Her green card got extended till January 2024. We can't wait for it to be decided in 2024 because it expires at the beginning of 2024. Would you recommend to get an InfoPass appointment 3 months before January 2024? The I-551 stamp will be in her Philippines passport?

Thank you for your reply.

8 hours ago, VINHIVY said:

Hello everyone,

It's been  a long time (since AOS) that I've visited this site. Along with many others, my wife received her I-797 Notice of Action, 24 month extension of her conditional permanent resident status. This extension will expire January 2024. My question is, will I need to do anything as that timeline approaches or will USCIS automatically extend her status again? Upon some research, some people have said that I have to file an extension within 90 days of the expiration?

I've been out of the loop for a long time and would appreciate any advice, insight or direction on what to do. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people here because they have helped us throughout our visa journey since 2017.

Thank you in advance,

V

Your post is a little confusing. Has she filed I-751 and that is what the I-797 references?

I believe folks also receive notice that their conditional status is expiring once they get close to the original green card expiry date, but you have to actually file I-751 to receive the extension letter.

Updating your timeline will also help people more effectively assist you.

Edited by Rearviewmirror

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

event.png

Timeline

@Rearviewmirror She has filed her I-751and received her 24 month extension in regards to the I -797. I was just wondering what we can do if the expiration dates gets closer and closer without a decision but I believe you already answered that. Thank you.

I will also update my timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.