georgi666

Continuous residency question

4 posts in this topic

Hello.

Writing a research paper on continuous residence requirements by USCIS. In theory, how could they know how long the applicant has been absent, if according to CBP when exiting the country on foot there is no legal requirement to go through an open port of entry. So in theory are there any mechanisms to thwart someone walking into Mexico and flying out from there, and then flying back to Mexico and entering through a port of entry? 
thank you.

Edited by georgi666

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Both Canada and Mexico share entry and exit information at land crossings, so they would know. This has been in effect since 2017. Now unless you are talking about entering Mexico without inspection ( Jumping the border into Mexico) that may present other issues, but in theory they wouldn't know when you left, so may cause issues when you return. And once you try to board a plane in Mexico, they will check to see if you entered Mexico legally, so trip would end rather quickly.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) cooperates with both Canada and Mexico to secure our shared borders while facilitating legitimate trade and travel. Under the U.S.-Mexico Entry/Exit Data Sharing Initiative, CBP and Mexico’s National Migration Institute (INM) intend to exchange border crossing information collected from travelers entering Mexico at ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexico border. The exchange of border crossing information under this initiative is intended to assist INM in creating entry records, and assist CBP in creating U.S. exit records based on a record of entry to Mexico, thereby facilitating cross-border travel and supporting both parties’ immigration and law enforcement missions.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

19 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Both Canada and Mexico share entry and exit information at land crossings, so they would know. This has been in effect since 2017. Now unless you are talking about entering Mexico without inspection ( Jumping the border into Mexico) that may present other issues, but in theory they wouldn't know when you left, so may cause issues when you return. And once you try to board a plane in Mexico, they will check to see if you entered Mexico legally, so trip would end rather quickly.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) cooperates with both Canada and Mexico to secure our shared borders while facilitating legitimate trade and travel. Under the U.S.-Mexico Entry/Exit Data Sharing Initiative, CBP and Mexico’s National Migration Institute (INM) intend to exchange border crossing information collected from travelers entering Mexico at ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexico border. The exchange of border crossing information under this initiative is intended to assist INM in creating entry records, and assist CBP in creating U.S. exit records based on a record of entry to Mexico, thereby facilitating cross-border travel and supporting both parties’ immigration and law enforcement missions.

Sounds about right, thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

One scenario where Mexico won’t report an entry to the U.S. government is a pedestrian walking into Mexico.  For example, at Nogales I’ve never had my travel document checked.  So one could walk into Mexico, stay at a private residence and U.S. has no idea how long you were gone except through your own verbal declaration.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.