Pssol

L1-A and F2a Visa inquiry

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have an f2a petition for my spouse in Manila, we are already DQ'd (July22) and waiting for an IL which from the looks of it won't be available for another year or so basing on how the US Embassy in Manila moves.

My wife is being offered an opportunity to apply for an L1-a Visa sponsorship by her company  , how do we go about this process? Is it ok to proceed with taking the L1-A visa application while we are waiting for the Interview schedule?

Hoping someone with similar experience can provide inputs.

TIA

Yes, if you think you can get it sooner, go for it. A big advantage of L1 is that it is dual intent, so your spouse can get it even with a pending immigration petition. 

Edit: but not sure what you mean by asking how you go about the process for your spouse to apply for the L1. It is a company sponsored visa so the company needs to start the process, and their lawyer will advise you on what is required from your end.

Edited by SusieQQQ

*** Removed duplicate thread in a different sub-forum.  Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.  If you mistakenly post on the wrong forum, click "Report post" to request your thread to be moved.  FYI ***

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, if you think you can get it sooner, go for it. A big advantage of L1 is that it is dual intent, so your spouse can get it even with a pending immigration petition. 

Edit: but not sure what you mean by asking how you go about the process for your spouse to apply for the L1. It is a company sponsored visa so the company needs to start the process, and their lawyer will advise you on what is required from your end.

Thanks, oh sorry for the confusion, yes I know the company will arrange everything, I guess I just wanted to know if waiting for an f2a interview doesn't hinder the chances of applying or getting approved of an L1 visa. 

So I'm assuming, if ever my wife gets the L1, and works here, then her F2a interview comes up in Manila, she just needs to go back and accomplish all the requirements in the Philippines, and once approved, go back to US and process whatever is needed with her company to transition.

4 minutes ago, Pssol said:

Thanks, oh sorry for the confusion, yes I know the company will arrange everything, I guess I just wanted to know if waiting for an f2a interview doesn't hinder the chances of applying or getting approved of an L1 visa. 

So I'm assuming, if ever my wife gets the L1, and works here, then her F2a interview comes up in Manila, she just needs to go back and accomplish all the requirements in the Philippines, and once approved, go back to US and process whatever is needed with her company to transition.

Or she could apply to adjust status after she moves to the US. I’m not sure of the technicalities involved in changing from one to the other. But depending on timing, she could well get her geeen card faster by leaving the interview at the embassy in Manila as the adjustment of status process can take quite a long time. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Or she could apply to adjust status after she moves to the US. I’m not sure of the technicalities involved in changing from one to the other. But depending on timing, she could well get her geeen card faster by leaving the interview at the embassy in Manila as the adjustment of status process can take quite a long time. 

Right, I think AoS is another long process, if waiting for the IL will be just another year or so, and processing of L1 will be quicker than that, I guess just retaining our current petition is the option.

Thanks for your thoughts! Hopefully will get more inputs from folks that had the same experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.