Adujarric

What does the department of state do with foreign passports?

8 posts in this topic

As some of you might know my wife was recently approved for her us passport via derived citizenship through her mom. As evidence we submitted her mom citizenship certificate, my wife first foreign passport which had her entry stamp as a minor, her foreign birth certificate, a notarized translation of her birth certificate and green card. Well on thursday  she received her passport & this friday she received all the proof she submitted besides the green card “ they included a letter explaining that the green card was sent to USCIS because the green card was no longer valid since she has a us passport” but no mention of the foreign passport and what they did with it. Any info or related experience would be greatly appreciated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Adujarric said:

As evidence we submitted her mom citizenship certificate, my wife first foreign passport which had her entry stamp as a minor, her foreign birth certificate, a notarized translation of her birth certificate and green card. Well on thursday  she received her passport & this friday she received all the proof she submitted besides the green card “ they included a letter explaining that the green card was sent to USCIS because the green card was no longer valid since she has a us passport”

Be sure to preserve this letter as it will be needed for your wife’s N-600

27 minutes ago, Adujarric said:

but no mention of the foreign passport and what they did with it. 

You said she got back all the evidence except the green card. Did she get back her foreign passport or not?

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

You said she got back all the evidence except the green card. Did she get back her foreign passport or not?

No she didnt get back the passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Adujarric said:

No she didnt get back the passport.

She should have received it. I assume it is expired?

Just now, Mike E said:

She should have received it. I assume it is expired?

Yes it was the one she enter with in 2008.  I found it weird because the sent all the evidence in a single envelope but kept the passport which it doesnt belong to the us government and i doubt they will ship it to the Dominican consulate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

when my husband applied for his the passport and documents and his letter of Naturalization were sent back in 3 different mailings 

so,  your foreign passport may be in the mail back to u

48 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

when my husband applied for his the passport and documents and his letter of Naturalization were sent back in 3 different mailings 

so,  your foreign passport may be in the mail back to u

Yes thank you! i figured its too early to cry wolf. Im just glad her mom’s citizenship certificate is back to safe hands which is the most valuable document from the list.  Also while i have you guys attention i have one more question. My wife’s passport came with a typo in her middle name. Her middle name is Cristina but at the end instead of an A they put a G. We have a planned vacation to México next month and after the trip we will submit the passport to the DOS to get it rectified. As far as evidence they are asking for a birth certificate can we send the foreign birth certificate and translation and would this be sufficient evidence of her name & how it should be spelled? Or what other evidence would you guys recommend we send out with the DS-5504 form. 

Edited by Adujarric
Typo

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Thanks mike this type of information is what makes me glad i joined VJ lol. I read the letter about the green card and didnt see much importance to it lol eventually that paper would have went to the garbage 😂🤦🏾‍♂️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.