SA21

Frustrated post K1 Interview

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just had my interview today for K1 and all went well except being issued a pending status for an updated intent to marry. I hadn't taken a new one as the website states it would be required if your petition has expired at the time of interview, our petition expires end of Oct 2022. I assume this just means further delay - has any had similar experience of sending in documents post interview, the officer said I will receive an email in 1-2 days with instructions of how to submit the documents and once the embassy has received they will go ahead and process requiring another 5-7 days. Should I be concerned or worried at this stage or is this just a small bump in the road? Any idea what kind of time frame I could be looking at as I've begun to make moving plans that are fast approaching..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@SA21

it’s just a bump in the road, but I would be frustrated too. It’s clearly a mistake. Did you tell them your petition was not expired? What was the response to that?

It’s also frustrating that they don’t hand you written instructions like they always have.. You are the second person recently that I have read was told they would receive an email, yet no instructions came. 

18 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

@SA21

it’s just a bump in the road, but I would be frustrated too. It’s clearly a mistake. Did you tell them your petition was not expired? What was the response to that?

It’s also frustrating that they don’t hand you written instructions like they always have.. You are the second person recently that I have read was told they would receive an email, yet no instructions came. 

Thanks Wuozopo!

So having calmed down a bit from my initial rage - I did receive an email from the embassy yesterday around 4pm (same day surprisingly) which explained how to send in the required documents. I looked up my nearest courier depot which was  luckily only 20mins away and I noted they closed at 6pm. I got onto the phone with my fiancé and got him to email over the updated signed intent to marry, took this along with my signed copy and the courier documents as instructed online and left my house at 5:30pm!! Got there with 10mins to closing, I asked the lady at the counter when my documents would go out for delivery and she said it would be that same evening! I received an email at 8pm saying my package was on its way and tracking details, I checked this morning and they had been received by the embassy and I was relieved! To my utter surprise I got an update today at 12pm saying we had been APPROVED! 

Still in shock at how it all ended up working out and actually impressed by the speed at which the embassy processed our case, I was really worried we'd be delayed a further week or two, again thank you for all the support and reassurance - I know we're not in the clear just yet but after 17 months since we started this process, its definitely a celebration for today!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, SA21 said:

Still in shock at how it all ended up working out and actually impressed by the speed at which the embassy processed our case, I was really worried we'd be delayed a further week or two, again thank you for all the support and reassurance - I know we're not in the clear just yet but after 17 months since we started this process, its definitely a celebration for today!

Very pleased for you they got on with resolving it so quickly. Sometimes they dally around for a few days and Monday is a bank holiday (RIP Elizabeth II) which could have added on time. A 17-month process is crazy. I had my K-1 in hand 4.5 months from starting and I found the wait unbearable at the time. It’s never fast enough, no matter how much things have been streamlined to online; how is it taking longer and longer? 

As a tip, this is a great time to start filling out your adjustment of status papers and reading the AOS forums to learn where people have problems or mess up so you don’t make the same mistakes. Then you have a jumpstart on the mountain of paperwork. My US fiancé had almost all of it done by the time I arrived so we were able to file a few days after marriage. Then we could get on with settling in and enjoying the holidays with that behind us. (I arrived in October).
The VJ guide to AOS https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-k1-k3-visas/

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 9/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, SA21 said:

Hi all,

Just had my interview today for K1 and all went well except being issued a pending status for an updated intent to marry. I hadn't taken a new one as the website states it would be required if your petition has expired at the time of interview, our petition expires end of Oct 2022. I assume this just means further delay - has any had similar experience of sending in documents post interview, the officer said I will receive an email in 1-2 days with instructions of how to submit the documents and once the embassy has received they will go ahead and process requiring another 5-7 days. Should I be concerned or worried at this stage or is this just a small bump in the road? Any idea what kind of time frame I could be looking at as I've begun to make moving plans that are fast approaching..

Hi can i ask you for an example of the UPDATED intent of marry you submitted? I already have my own intent of marry that i filed with the i-129f but i was wondering if an updated version has different or more text/writing.

thank you in advance.

21 hours ago, Sou said:

Hi can i ask you for an example of the UPDATED intent of marry you submitted? I already have my own intent of marry that i filed with the i-129f but i was wondering if an updated version has different or more text/writing.

thank you in advance.

Updated just means new date and signed again, we didn't change any wording

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.