Pompeyflyer

SSN Not Received- LPR

4 posts in this topic

Hi , I got my greencard back in mid July at the embassy in London and during the application I requested a SSN. I arrived into the US back in early August however I haven’t yet received my SSN. 

As it’s been over 3 weeks I have to go into to the social security office for a  number. Do I have to submit a form and what ID do I need? I have a my visa foil in my passport (I-551) is that enough. How soon will I get my SSN once I’ve been to the office?

thanks

~~ Topic moved from Finding Work in America to SSN sub-forum ~~

Check if your case in processing or not:

https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck

If not, bring these docs:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

& Form SS-5:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First, call the SSA.  They can tell if if there's a request for a card in their system, and if yes, about how long it will take to send it to you.

If there is no request, then schedule an appointment to apply.  You need a completed SS5, your passport, and proof of immigration status.  The best proof is the green card if you have it.  If not, then the endorsed immigration visa in your passport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 7:05 AM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

First, call the SSA.  They can tell if if there's a request for a card in their system, and if yes, about how long it will take to send it to you.

If there is no request, then schedule an appointment to apply.  You need a completed SS5, your passport, and proof of immigration status.  The best proof is the green card if you have it.  If not, then the endorsed immigration visa in your passport.

If you have a birth certificate, I would bring that as well; technically you can use other documents as proof of age but in my experience the SSA employees we talked to (both on the phone and in person) mentioned needing a birth certificate even though my wife already had a passport and I-551.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.