Maia24

Need advice about specific doc folder for interview

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Maia24 said:

Now it's finally here and my husband says it's way to big and I won't be allowed to bring it in.

Picture says the bag is 13 x 12 in.  It's a bit too big, but maybe they won't notice?  Consulate rules say only bags 12 x 10 x 6 in or smaller are allowed -- https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-procedures/

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Picture says the bag is 13 x 12 in.  It's a bit too big, but maybe they won't notice?  Consulate rules say only bags 12 x 10 x 6 in or smaller are allowed -- https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-procedures/

Ah, I think you are right! It might be too big :(
Thank you for the link! 

ugh.. I got excited about this one :(

13 minutes ago, Maia24 said:

Ah, I think you are right! It might be too big :(
Thank you for the link! 

ugh.. I got excited about this one :(

Fyi- we only carried the original documents in the order listed, and when they asked we gave it to them in that order, plus the required photos.  They scan your documents and return the original right away.  Also to make it easier for the CO we made the copies ahead of time, which saved them not having to make them.  The binder looks cumbersome!

4 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

The binder looks cumbersome!

Agreed!

Can I ask where did you get the order of documents?

I also preparing copies of all docs. Plan is to put the original in the clear file with the copy, mark it with a sticky note and put all of those docs into the binder. 

I got excited about this one specifically, because it has an outer pocket which I figured will be useful to carry passports and the interview invitation (so that I can easily can get them at the entrance). 

3 hours ago, Maia24 said:

Agreed!

Can I ask where did you get the order of documents?

I also preparing copies of all docs. Plan is to put the original in the clear file with the copy, mark it with a sticky note and put all of those docs into the binder. 

I got excited about this one specifically, because it has an outer pocket which I figured will be useful to carry passports and the interview invitation (so that I can easily can get them at the entrance). 

The list would include original's of the following:

birth certificates

divorce certificate-if applicable

marriage certificate

letter of current job offer-within last six months

police certificate

if any of the above are from a foreign country they need to be translated by an accredited translator

try to have a list of all the countries you have visited in the last five years- they may ask this

longest time you have spend in USA

all the times you visited USA in last five years

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't actually need a lot, as @Sorrel listed.  I used one pretty similar to the photo because there were 3 of us, so I had to separate for each of us.  It still sits in my home office, with the documents in it.  Superstitious me won't empty it until we naturalize because we've already had to re-access the documents due to an error on one of our greencards!  A simple envelope folder would work fine for one person.  

image.png.0eef22860f87879a73daf147d0a2f489.png

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even better...here's our actual package.  Man, looking at this photo has the emotions flooding back - excitement, nervousness, anxiety, fear, hopefulness.  Our journey took over 600 days and required a move from our family home of 5 years in the States back to Canada to prevent visa overstay.  The interview was pretty pivotal for us as we waited nearly 6 months for an interview after we finally DQ'd.   

IMG_1662a.jpg

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.