Steve & Erma

Car Insurance - Borrowed car

8 posts in this topic

So I am traveling to the Philippine in a couple weeks. My Fiance sold her vehicle to a friend who has graciously agreed to allow us to use the vehicle while I am there (I did help pay the registration of the car). As far as I can tell they only have liability insurance on the car as that is what is required. I want to get a temporary policy for the car during my visit so if something were to happen I would be covered and not on the hook to pay for damages. Driving there is so much more chaotic than here in the US.

So anyone have an idea on how to go about getting a comprehensive insurance plan on this vehicle for the time I will be there?

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

13 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

So I am traveling to the Philippine in a couple weeks. My Fiance sold her vehicle to a friend who has graciously agreed to allow us to use the vehicle while I am there (I did help pay the registration of the car). As far as I can tell they only have liability insurance on the car as that is what is required. I want to get a temporary policy for the car during my visit so if something were to happen I would be covered and not on the hook to pay for damages. Driving there is so much more chaotic than here in the US.

So anyone have an idea on how to go about getting a comprehensive insurance plan on this vehicle for the time I will be there?

Don't worry you won't be on the hook, the owner of the vehicle is on the hook.

If in the future you ever decide to buy a car/motorbike/ etc, always put it in your wife or gf name, if it's in your name and you have an accident no matter if your at fault or not they will come at you.

My buddy had a car wreck and all of a sudden there were witnesses coming out of the blue (typical money grab scheme) making claims against the rich forgiener, they were seeing dollars signs.  Once they figured out the vehicle was registered to his wife then it all went away.

You will adjust to driving over there very quickly.

Yes they have comphresive policies for autos, and you can even get them to include medical and hospital stay and cost.

Whether or not a non vehicle holder can get it will be another question, and since you are not a Philippines citizen could be another issue.  I would have the vehicle owner look into that, but if you are gonna drive over there, get the windows tinted, and the front window as well,  so they can't see it's a white forgeiner driving, for your own safety.  

10 hours ago, Palawan said:

Yes they have comphresive policies for autos, and you can even get them to include medical and hospital stay and cost.

Whether or not a non vehicle holder can get it will be another question, and since you are not a Philippines citizen could be another issue.  I would have the vehicle owner look into that, but if you are gonna drive over there, get the windows tinted, and the front window as well,  so they can't see it's a white forgeiner driving, for your own safety.  

Windows are tinted so I am covered there... It was her husbands car before but the registration is in the original owners name. They do some really weird thing where you register it in the original owners name but then have to have all of the bills of sales with the registration. Final bill of sale is on the new owner so I guess I am covered there too. I would of course help to fix the car if it was my fault and their TPL Liability coverage will cover the other car.

Texas Service Center

One tip is if you have a AAA membership in the US,  Automobile Association Philippines https://www.aap.org.ph/ offers reciprocal benefits to members such as roadside service, towing and such.  It hardly counts as insurance and is probably only useful in big cities but if you do have AAA in the US, it is worthwhile to keep the AAP number handy should you need someone to call to tow you out of an awkward circumstance should one arise.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Windows are tinted so I am covered there... It was her husbands car before but the registration is in the original owners name. They do some really weird thing where you register it in the original owners name but then have to have all of the bills of sales with the registration. Final bill of sale is on the new owner so I guess I am covered there too. I would of course help to fix the car if it was my fault and their TPL Liability coverage will cover the other car.

Yes, they do "alot" really weird things on registertion in the Philippines.

Cars and motorbike they the dealership won't  send paper work to register sometimes or delay it, so in case the vehicle is repossed, the dealership can sell it as new since it was never registered. 

12 hours ago, top_secret said:

One tip is if you have a AAA membership in the US,  Automobile Association Philippines https://www.aap.org.ph/ offers reciprocal benefits to members such as roadside service, towing and such.  It hardly counts as insurance and is probably only useful in big cities but if you do have AAA in the US, it is worthwhile to keep the AAP number handy should you need someone to call to tow you out of an awkward circumstance should one arise.

I don't have AAA but I just turned 50 and I got AARP...LOL

Texas Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.