Heliax

I-131 Advance Parole and Biometrics

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi !

Does anyone know about how needing to reschedule a biometrics appointment might delay I-131 (Advance Parole) being approved?

My situation is that I'm on an H-1B visa (my visa stamp has expired but I have an I-797 that extends my visa, and have an unexpired I-94 along with it), and I have filed I-130 and I-485 concurrently with my US Citizen spouse.

My NOA1 was for June 30, 2022 for all my forms, though due to circumstances beyond my control, I couldn't attend my original biometrics appointment (July 29, 2022) and needed to reschedule. I'm still waiting for news about when my rescheduled biometrics appointment will be.

The main issue is: I would like to travel in mid-March to attend my sister's wedding in Australia. I have two options:

1. When abroad, apply for a new H-1B visa stamp (this will cost me a lot of money due to reciprocity fees, needing to do extra travel to visit a consulate, and needing to take extra time off work which isn't a guarantee)
  2. Wait for I-131 Advance Parole and travel with that (though I'm uncertain whether I'll receive AP in time before March)

Would it be worthwhile risking the I-131 coming through in time and have travel booked? The alternative (applying for new H-1B visa stamp) is very expensive, though offers more "time" guarantee.

Also, are there any third options/alternatives that I might not be aware of that can help my situation?

Thanks!

Edited by Heliax

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Take original notice  tomorrow and pitch camp at the appointment location. When you see no traffic, go in and plead, but only when no traffic 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Timona said:

Take original notice  tomorrow and pitch camp at the appointment location. When you see no traffic, go in and plead, but only when no traffic 

Thanks for the advice.

Here's the thing, unfortunately - I never got my original I-485 biometrics appointment notice in the mail. After some time of not receiving mail, I called up USCIS and they told me over the phone that my appointment was scheduled July 29.

Would I just need to sit back and wait for a new notice to (hopefully quickly) arrive in the mail?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.