FlyingCircus

Online Social Security Number Application (conditional permanent resident applying for the first time)

6 posts in this topic

My spouse (a conditional permanent resident through the CR-1 process) never received a SS card despite checking the box on the DS-260. They are out of the US at the moment but we want to apply for the card ASAP as soon as they are back.

I am wondering if applying online will speed up the process any, since that can be started in advance of my spouse’s return.

This page mentions that “You can…Request a Social Security number for the first time” online, and the questionnaire does not seem to screen out our case. After a few basic questions we are sent to the online service page which specifies:

Use Our Online Service To Obtain A Social Security Number Card

Online Social Security Number Application

Request a Social Security Number (SSN) card online and provide your documentation to the local Social Security (SSA) office.

We will walk you through the guided steps needed to submit your request.

After you submit your online request, you must visit your local SSA office with your documentation within 45 calendar days.

Acceptable documents MUST be original or copies certified by the issuing agency, unexpired and must show name, date of birth or age. Find out which documents are required for your original or replacement card request.

After SSA verifies your document(s) and completes your request, you will receive your social security card in the mail within 14 business days.

Here are the pros and cons that I see of doing the online application versus just filling out the SS-5 paper form:

Pros:

- The request is already in the system once we go to the local office.

- Data entry (presumably) doesn’t have to be done by someone else and would be less prone to error.

Cons:

- This may be less familiar to the SSA staff at the local office and we would plan to bring a completed SS-5 form anyway just in case.

- The SSA online service link above periodically goes down; there may be technical issues with the system.

However, I am not sure about the following:

- Submitting online may help to get a SS number assigned faster, even if the card itself isn’t sent out until later. Or, it may not make any difference at all.

- We don’t know if it matters that the box for a SS card was checked on the DS-260, even if a card never arrived, and whether submitting the form online would create a duplicate request in the system.

- In spite of going through the screening questionnaire, we’re not sure if the online application is truly appropriate for this situation (non-citizen applying for a SS number for the first time).

Either method requires going to an office in person, so that’s a wash.

If anyone has any experience with the online application, let me know. I tried to search the forum but did not find any mention of it.

Edited by FlyingCircus
formatting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1-800-772-1213

IMPORTANT: Call us if you do not receive your Social Security card after 3 weeks or if you change your mailing address after arrival in the United States. If you call us, please have this letter with you. It will help us answer your questions.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, FlyingCircus said:

My spouse (a conditional permanent resident through the CR-1 process) never received a SS card despite checking the box on the DS-260. They are out of the US at the moment but we want to apply for the card ASAP as soon as they are back.

I am wondering if applying online will speed up the process any, since that can be started in advance of my spouse’s return.

This page mentions that “You can…Request a Social Security number for the first time” online, and the questionnaire does not seem to screen out our case. After a few basic questions we are sent to the online service page which specifies:

Here are the pros and cons that I see of doing the online application versus just filling out the SS-5 paper form:

Pros:

- The request is already in the system once we go to the local office.

- Data entry (presumably) doesn’t have to be done by someone else and would be less prone to error.

Cons:

- This may be less familiar to the SSA staff at the local office and we would plan to bring a completed SS-5 form anyway just in case.

- The SSA online service link above periodically goes down; there may be technical issues with the system.

However, I am not sure about the following:

- Submitting online may help to get a SS number assigned faster, even if the card itself isn’t sent out until later. Or, it may not make any difference at all.

- We don’t know if it matters that the box for a SS card was checked on the DS-260, even if a card never arrived, and whether submitting the form online would create a duplicate request in the system.

- In spite of going through the screening questionnaire, we’re not sure if the online application is truly appropriate for this situation (non-citizen applying for a SS number for the first time).

Either method requires going to an office in person, so that’s a wash.

If anyone has any experience with the online application, let me know. I tried to search the forum but did not find any mention of it.

They are not going to do anything until they sight your documents. In person visit gets it done easily though the waiting time can be long depending on your office. I dont see any advantage in filing online .. just IMo

56 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

They are not going to do anything until they sight your documents. In person visit gets it done easily though the waiting time can be long depending on your office. I dont see any advantage in filing online .. just IMo

Seconded. They’ll need to check relevant documents and this is easier done in person.

FWIW I went to the social security office last week (removing restriction on SS card now I have conditional GC, so slightly different) and it wasn’t a bad experience. I just walked up and was in and out in 45 mins, with the actual appointment part probably only being 10 mins. SS card arrived in just a few days, although your experience may of course be different. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2022 at 9:31 AM, AW1704 said:

Seconded. They’ll need to check relevant documents and this is easier done in person.

FWIW I went to the social security office last week (removing restriction on SS card now I have conditional GC, so slightly different) and it wasn’t a bad experience. I just walked up and was in and out in 45 mins, with the actual appointment part probably only being 10 mins. SS card arrived in just a few days, although your experience may of course be different. 

This is similar to our experience in the end, and the card came after about a week.

11 hours ago, FlyingCircus said:

This is similar to our experience in the end, and the card came after about a week.

Glad it went smoothly for you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.