likethefox

AP in Montreal - Travelling to US on other passport

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!  

First time poster here.  Had my interview yesterday in Montreal and was put into administrative processing with no reason given.  The consular officer even admitted he did not know why it was happening.  I'm still awaiting the follow-up email from the consulate... I suspect it will the DS-5535 questions because we used to live abroad but have lived in Canada for 8+ years.

We are planning to cross the land border and drive from Toronto to Maine (my US citizen spouse has a family cottage there).  I have a second passport (UK citizenship) and we are hoping I can cross using that passport as Montreal still have my Canadian passport.  We've called the CBP and the actual border office (Buffalo, NY) and have received positive yet not totally clear messages.  

Has anyone else attempted this in the past?    Thanks in advance!

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, likethefox said:

Hi everyone!  

First time poster here.  Had my interview yesterday in Montreal and was put into administrative processing with no reason given.  The consular officer even admitted he did not know why it was happening.  I'm still awaiting the follow-up email from the consulate... I suspect it will the DS-5535 questions because we used to live abroad but have lived in Canada for 8+ years.

We are planning to cross the land border and drive from Toronto to Maine (my US citizen spouse has a family cottage there).  I have a second passport (UK citizenship) and we are hoping I can cross using that passport as Montreal still have my Canadian passport.  We've called the CBP and the actual border office (Buffalo, NY) and have received positive yet not totally clear messages.  

Hope you find the answer you're looking for. 

As for the DS-5535, that's odd that even the Consular Officer had no idea why it happened. Maybe this is a sign that the DS-5535 is auto-requested by the computer/system and the embassy must comply with the request before issuing the visa. I could be wrong though. 

Good luck with your case. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, likethefox said:

Hi everyone!  

How do you plan to reenter Canada?  Do you have a citizenship certificate or NEXUS? 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Mam521 - Yes, I have Canadian citizenship.  I was able to cross the US land border successfully with a full colour copy of my Canadian passport and my Canadian birth certificate.  Very few issues, though i titi help that I have crossed the border by car multiple times per year with my American spouse.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.