US-Ecuador

Seeking advice for moving back to the US with my wife

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My German husband and I have been living in Europe for years and submitted our I-130 petition September 2021. We're still waiting for an approval (just hit the 300 day mark). I recently moved back to the US to start a new job, and we are expecting months of separation. That is typical with the process and something we planned for with my job search process and timing when we left our last residence. USCIS publishes processing times on their website so you can get an idea what to expect - in our case we knew we'd be waiting 10-12 months for the first step.

There are little "tricks" you can try to nudge USCIS to speed up your petition, like submitting a K3 visa application, but they rarely work. I would recommend joining a thread where other people who submitted around the same time as you did and talk about their experience.

I'm not sure it matters that much where the petitioner lives when you submit the application. From what I'm seeing, everyone is waiting about the same time and if anyone's application moves faster than anticipated, it just by chance. Some of the more recent petitions made in 2022 are moving a lot faster than ours (2021 filers). So you might have that working for you. Good luck!

Edited by shytown

I-130 (Potomac)

NOA1: 09/11/2021

NOA2: 11/21/2022

(NVC + Frankfurt Consulate)

NVC Docs Submitted: 12/03/2022

DQ: 01/30/2023

Appointment: 03/14/2023

On 7/7/2022 at 9:42 AM, US-Ecuador said:

Why would she need a criminal report from Ecuador? She hasn't lived there for 12 years.

If she spent at least 6 months in Ecuador (country of nationality) at any time in her life, then she will definitely need a police certificate from Ecuador to be able to get a spouse visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.