lopezkoa

Question about Temporary Drivers License after marriage?

6 posts in this topic

Wife has M1 Visa which expires in October and a Temporary State drivers license based on visa which expires in August, before OPT starts.

Now I want to change her state drivers license last name and address by providing marriage certificate.

Will the state only issue the drivers license that expires in August?

Or is there a way to get a drivers license that is longer than 2 months based on marriage certificate?

Do they need to see receipt of AOS or will they only provide a drivers license with expiration date based on current M1 Visa which expires in October?

Edited by lopezkoa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, lopezkoa said:

Do they need to see receipt of AOS or will they only provide a drivers license with expiration date based on current M1 Visa which expires in October?

Hawaii will accept the AOS receipt (I-797A).  The I-797A based driver's license will probably be valid for one year.

https://www2.honolulu.gov/documentguide/

7 hours ago, RLA said:

Hawaii will accept the AOS receipt (I-797A).  The I-797A based driver's license will probably be valid for one year.

https://www2.honolulu.gov/documentguide/

So I wouldn't be able to get a license with new last name until after AOS applications are submitted?

I am curious.  On the applications. I put Beneficiary's new last name, but now all of her ID shows old last name and passport has old last name. That's why I wanted to get new ID showing new last name to match application name.

Will USCIS still accept her copies of passport/ID showing old last name?

Edited by lopezkoa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
18 hours ago, lopezkoa said:

So I wouldn't be able to get a license with new last name until after AOS applications are submitted?

Gotcha.  If you bring the marriage certificate to the DMV you should be able to get a new driver's license in her new last name.  The marriage certificate is the evidence for the name change.   However — until you have the AOS application receipt (I-797A) you only have the M1 visa as evidence for her legal presence in the U.S.  If that expires in October the new, M1-based driver's license would most likely also only be valid until October.

If you want the new driver's license as quickly as possible and don't mind going to the DMV twice, you could get her a new license now with the M1, and then go again once you have the I-797A.

18 hours ago, lopezkoa said:

I put Beneficiary's new last name, but now all of her ID shows old last name and passport has old last name. That's why I wanted to get new ID showing new last name to match application name.

Will USCIS still accept her copies of passport/ID showing old last name?

Yes, they will.  It's very common that people hang on to their existing passports for a while after a name change.

6 hours ago, RLA said:

Gotcha.  If you bring the marriage certificate to the DMV you should be able to get a new driver's license in her new last name.  The marriage certificate is the evidence for the name change.   However — until you have the AOS application receipt (I-797A) you only have the M1 visa as evidence for her legal presence in the U.S.  If that expires in October the new, M1-based driver's license would most likely also only be valid until October.

If you want the new driver's license as quickly as possible and don't mind going to the DMV twice, you could get her a new license now with the M1, and then go again once you have the I-797A.

Yes, they will.  It's very common that people hang on to their existing passports for a while after a name change.

She currently already has a temporary drivers license based on M1 visa, however, for some reason, the temp license expiration date is August when she graduates. 

Then she starts OPT for 60 days from August - October. So I am not sure why they only offered a valid license that expires before OPT starts when her M1 visa is valid until ending of October.

Right now she has her old address/name on her temp license which expires in August, so I will go to the DMV with marriage certificate and see if we can get a new license.  Do you think I need to wait until she gets her EAD card as well as proof to extend the temporary license expiration date from August to October? Maybe the reason it expires in August was because she didn't apply for OPT yet.

If all else fails, at least I can have her get a new license showing new name/address to use as proof of new name even if the expiration date is August (hopefully I can get it with an October expiration date though), that gives me some time to submit applications and wait for I-797A from USCIS to take to the DMV and then renew her license again before it expires.

Edited by lopezkoa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.