Chad9797

Passport Question for Scheduling Interview in Manila

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We received notice that the Embassy in Manila has received the documents from the NVC and we are now able to schedule the interview.

I have the instructions on how to do this but we need to wait until mid August because she has the appointment to renew her current passport.. (Current Passport has her married name on it)

Currently she is in the process of having her name changed once the divorce is recognized in the Philippines.. She was divorced in England and she will have that divorce recognised in the Philippines so that she can have only her given name on the passport.

My question is: should we wait to file the DS-160 until she has the passport with her family name on it or would we still be able to file the DS-160 with her current passport that has her married name on it.?

The notice that we received stated that we have one year to start the scheduling process for the interview from the date of this notice. (Which was June 23, 2022)

We don't want to waste time renewing the current passport if it will be unacceptable.. If that is the case we will wait until the divorce is recognized in the Philippines and file the DS-160 once she has her family name on her passport. (This process should take a few more months)

I will try to reach out to the Embassy also to see if they can help to answer this question.

Please advise and thoughts.

Thank you

On 6/26/2022 at 3:09 PM, Chad9797 said:

My question is: should we wait to file the DS-160 until she has the passport with her family name on it or would we still be able to file the DS-160 with her current passport that has her married name on it.?

Do not wait for the new passport.  Submit the DS-160 asap, pay the MRV fee, and schedule the interview and medical.  Just pick an interview date after the expected delivery date of the new passport, if available.  She must declare both her previous married name and her maiden name on the DS-160 anyway.  She will also need to present an NBI clearance listing both names, and any other names used.

Timeline
On 6/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, Chancy said:

Do not wait for the new passport.  Submit the DS-160 asap, pay the MRV fee, and schedule the interview and medical.  Just pick an interview date after the expected delivery date of the new passport, if available.  She must declare both her previous married name and her maiden name on the DS-160 anyway.  She will also need to present an NBI clearance listing both names, and any other names used.

Ok, Thank you for the advice.. I will start to process of completing the DS-160 so that it is ready after her appointment to renew her current passport.

My only concern is that her Visa will be on the passport with her arried name.. That will cause issues here when trying to apply for documents in the United States .. Such as Drivers License and Social Security card.. and it may also make it difficult for her to travel if her name doesn't match exactly to her other ID's.

Do you think we would be able to wait for them to put the Visa on the passport with her family name? if the K1 Visa is approved before she is able to get her name changed back?  Also. Do you thnk they could deny the K1 Visa if her divorce is not recognized in the Phiippines yet?

Thanks again for your input

13 hours ago, Chad9797 said:

Do you think we would be able to wait for them to put the Visa on the passport with her family name? if the K1 Visa is approved before she is able to get her name changed back?  Also. Do you thnk they could deny the K1 Visa if her divorce is not recognized in the Phiippines yet?

You don't need to wait for the new passport to book an interview slot.  Schedule the appointment asap.  But you can pick a schedule that's dated after your expected delivery date of the new passport so that she can bring it to her interview.  The visa will be printed with the name that's on the passport she brings to the interview.  If you expect her new passport to be delivered in August, then pick an interview date in late August or September.

The US embassy in Manila will not care about Philippine recognition of her divorce, as long as she brings the final divorce decree from wherever she legally obtained her divorce.  Also, she must present a CENOMAR or CEMAR (Advisory on Marriage), whether or not it has been annotated with her foreign divorce.  Again, USEM will not care, as long as she brings either a CENOMAR or CEMAR, plus the final divorce decree.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Chancy said:

You don't need to wait for the new passport to book an interview slot.  Schedule the appointment asap.  But you can pick a schedule that's dated after your expected delivery date of the new passport so that she can bring it to her interview.  The visa will be printed with the name that's on the passport she brings to the interview.  If you expect her new passport to be delivered in August, then pick an interview date in late August or September.

The US embassy in Manila will not care about Philippine recognition of her divorce, as long as she brings the final divorce decree from wherever she legally obtained her divorce.  Also, she must present a CENOMAR or CEMAR (Advisory on Marriage), whether or not it has been annotated with her foreign divorce.  Again, USEM will not care, as long as she brings either a CENOMAR or CEMAR, plus the final divorce decree.

Ok, that is good news.. The only other thing that I am orried about is that she was originally married in the Philippines.. Do you think the will issue her a CENOMOR if she was originally married in the Philippens? but her divorce was done in England because her ex husband lives in England.?

28 minutes ago, Chad9797 said:

Do you think the will issue her a CENOMOR if she was originally married in the Philippens? but her divorce was done in England because her ex husband lives in England.?

If she was married in the Philippines, she will be issued a CEMAR (Advisory on Marriage), not a CENOMAR.  It does not matter to USEM which of the two she presents as long as she presents one, along with her final divorce decree from England.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

If she was married in the Philippines, she will be issued a CEMAR (Advisory on Marriage), not a CENOMAR.  It does not matter to USEM which of the two she presents as long as she presents one, along with her final divorce decree from England.

Ok. But she hasn’t had the hearing yet for the recognition.   I will need to wait for that before I can submit the DS-160 and schedule the interview correct?

On 6/29/2022 at 9:06 PM, Chad9797 said:

But she hasn’t had the hearing yet for the recognition.   I will need to wait for that before I can submit the DS-160 and schedule the interview correct?

Again, the US embassy in Manila doesn't care about the Philippine recognition of her foreign divorce.  So no need to wait for the hearing, unless it is super important for you both to have your fiancee's maiden name on her passport.  Note that other than her PH passport, she can get her name changed on all her US ids and accounts by presenting her US marriage certificate.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, Chancy said:

Again, the US embassy in Manila doesn't care about the Philippine recognition of her foreign divorce.  So no need to wait for the hearing, unless it is super important for you both to have your fiancee's maiden name on her passport.  Note that other than her PH passport, she can get her name changed on all her US ids and accounts by presenting her US marriage certificate.

Ok, Thanks again for the advice.. That makes sense to me

. I will proceed with the process of the DS-160 and schedule the interview when we can.

• 6 months later...
Timeline
On 7/20/2022 at 8:44 PM, Chad9797 said:

Ok, Thanks again for the advice.. That makes sense to me

. I will proceed with the process of the DS-160 and schedule the interview when we can.

Thanks again for all your advice with this.. We have our interview scheduled for Feb 23rd.. Hopefully everything goes well.. She will also have her final court date for her recognition of divorce on Feb 6th.. 

We have not tried to get a CENOMAR yet.. But we can try to get that document before we go to the interview.. but most likely we will on have the divorce decree from England and the CEMAR.. Hopefully that is all we will need.. I will let you know how it goes. 

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, Chad9797 said:

We have not tried to get a CENOMAR yet.. But we can try to get that document before we go to the interview.. but most likely we will on have the divorce decree from England and the CEMAR.. Hopefully that is all we will need..

Your fiancee will not get a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) because she was already married once in the Philippines.  She will get a CEMAR because PSA will always have the record of her previous marriage.  The difference between getting the CEMAR now or after the hearing is that after the completion of the foreign divorce recognition process, PSA will annotate the CEMAR with the divorce info.

Again, the US embassy in Manila will not care.  CEMAR (annotated or not) + final divorce decree will be fine for USEM.  To avoid getting a 221g letter, tell your fiancee to also bring her PSA marriage certificate from her previous marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.