Laud

RFE vs DQ rate

17 posts in this topic

In a typical week, what % of reviewed submissions are DQed and what % get an RFE?

I'm not expecting anyone to have an actual answer for this (as far as I'm aware no data on this are made available), but what's your gut feel based on forums/fb pages/other.

I get the sense it's around 75% DQ, 25% RFE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

USCIS puts out quarterly reports /not weekly or monthly 

and no report on # of RFE's

as to RFE's there's no way to know and i suspect it would vary a lot especially when  the DV lottery winners and those people need  to prove education and work experience

and it varies from countries -like India and Pakistan,  NVC wants long forms of birth certificates,  from Morocco,  they now ask for early chats to show the couple really has know each other as long as stated,  high fraud countries get more than low fraud countries

RFE's can be given out at any stage,  USCIS,  NVC or by embassy

the following is number of service -wide reports for quarter 4 of 2021 for all visa types which includes approved,  denied and pending

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY2021Q4.pdf

3 hours ago, Laud said:

In a typical week, what % of reviewed submissions are DQed and what % get an RFE?

I'm not expecting anyone to have an actual answer for this (as far as I'm aware no data on this are made available), but what's your gut feel based on forums/fb pages/other.

I get the sense it's around 75% DQ, 25% RFE.

Are you talking about first DQ or???

I feel like most cases receive at least 1 RFE... it seems like every time I see a DQ its 75% second submission 25% first submission. 

But, I've been only checking review dates (from those reported on VJ) not if the case is DQ'ed/RF'ed or DQ'ed after 1st/2nd/3rd submission... 

28 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Are you talking about first DQ or???

I feel like most cases receive at least 1 RFE... it seems like every time I see a DQ its 75% second submission 25% first submission. 

But, I've been only checking review dates (from those reported on VJ) not if the case is DQ'ed/RF'ed or DQ'ed after 1st/2nd/3rd submission... 

The question was about the % per time period so that would be inclusive of first, second, third submissions. 

*Most* cases receiving at least 1 RFE would be really surprising to me, and jot the impression I've got from the submission threads, but that might be some confirmation bias from me!

I wonder if some posters on this forum only post after a hurdle like an RFE, whereas people who get through are less likely to post as they just move on with their journey.

18 minutes ago, Laud said:

The question was about the % per time period so that would be inclusive of first, second, third submissions. 

*Most* cases receiving at least 1 RFE would be really surprising to me, and jot the impression I've got from the submission threads, but that might be some confirmation bias from me!

I wonder if some posters on this forum only post after a hurdle like an RFE, whereas people who get through are less likely to post as they just move on with their journey.

Its my bias. I feel like every time I see an DQ I try to check previous posts (timelines) and it appears as if the DQ happens after an RFE... I will pay attention to wording going forward... but I agree I see more DQ's over RFE... but (my bias) i feel like people will post they got DQ'ed but remain silent if they've received an RFE... JMO. 

2 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Its my bias. I feel like every time I see an DQ I try to check previous posts (timelines) and it appears as if the DQ happens after an RFE... I will pay attention to wording going forward... but I agree I see more DQ's over RFE... but (my bias) i feel like people will post they got DQ'ed but remain silent if they've received an RFE... JMO. 

You might be right! I'm awaiting first review so hoping that you're not though! 😂

Just now, Laud said:

You might be right! I'm awaiting first review so hoping that you're not though! 😂

We are waiting on our first review, too! End of this week or end of next week... I hope they're happy with our documents ^^ 

3 minutes ago, Jenny_ said:

So submitted additional documents will not reset my waiting time?

As far as I'm aware NVC have never made this completely clear. But the widely held belief on this forum is that submitting addition documents does not reset your wait time. I've added additional documents since the original required documents.

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, Laud said:

I also want to say... I feel like people a lot of people only post their timelines and don't ever comment. I feel like the majority of commenters post because their cases are a little complicated and they're more likely to receive an RFE after they submit 1.) They don't earn enough/need for joint sponsor is on the edge OR 2.) They live overseas with their spouse... 

NVC sends a message reminding you to upload certain documents to avoid an RFE but it is soooooooo vague. 

I would really like if we could add "RFE's" to NVC on our VJ timelines I think that would be super useful. Currently you only see NOA2 and then interview date.... and some timelines have a really large gap. Not sure if it is due to backlog at embassy OR issues at NVC

1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

I also want to say... I feel like people a lot of people only post their timelines and don't ever comment. I feel like the majority of commenters post because their cases are a little complicated and they're more likely to receive an RFE after they submit 1.) They don't earn enough/need for joint sponsor is on the edge OR 2.) They live overseas with their spouse... 

NVC sends a message reminding you to upload certain documents to avoid an RFE but it is soooooooo vague. 

I would really like if we could add "RFE's" to NVC on our VJ timelines I think that would be super useful. Currently you only see NOA2 and then interview date.... and some timelines have a really large gap. Not sure if it is due to backlog at embassy OR issues at NVC

This is a good point. I've just used the timeline search to find data on the last 100 people to be DQed on IR1/CR1, and checked their dates of of NVC received vs NVC left and checked those times against the historical processing times on visawhen.com to estimate whether they got through first time or had an RFE. It's not a perfect system because NVC received date isn't necessarily the same at the submission date of required documents, but I think 39 of those 100 got through without RFE.

So this somewhat supports your guess that most people get at least one RFE.

8 hours ago, Laud said:

As far as I'm aware NVC have never made this completely clear. But the widely held belief on this forum is that submitting addition documents does not reset your wait time. I've added additional documents since the original required documents.

Good luck.

I agree.  It seems that when they look at your file, they look at everything that's there, whether it was in the original submission or subsequent uploads.  That said, it does appear that it you get an RFE your case goes to the bottom of the pile and you will wait whatever the current processing time is before it gets looked at again. We got RFE'd for better copies of civil documents.  I tried everything, but the actual documents are the issue.  No way to fix that.  I did a 600 x 600 B & W scan and sent that in. That one looked much better to me.  The docs are on colored paper, but the color scans at anything better than 400 X 400 are too large, even after compression. There are varying opinions on whether they will accept the B & W scans.  If anyone has any ideas, all help is welcome. Be safe.

18 hours ago, Laud said:

This is a good point. I've just used the timeline search to find data on the last 100 people to be DQed on IR1/CR1, and checked their dates of of NVC received vs NVC left and checked those times against the historical processing times on visawhen.com to estimate whether they got through first time or had an RFE. It's not a perfect system because NVC received date isn't necessarily the same at the submission date of required documents, but I think 39 of those 100 got through without RFE.

So this somewhat supports your guess that most people get at least one RFE.

I revisited these numbers on a break from work. Most of them are inaccurate because the default date given on VJ is "NVC Left", which I found was quite different from "Case completed at NVC". I went through the last 7 pages of CR1/IR1 visas which gave me 51 points of data. The results we very different!

Some assumptions I made:

a) The biggest assumption is that timelines are accurate! Which many of them won't be!

b) I chose 120 days as the indicator of whether or not someone got through first time. The data stretches back to 2021 where the processing times were longer. 120 is also problematic because it automatically assumed shorter dates means people got through first time, but there may be some expedited cases that got had RFEs but the entire process was still under 120 days.

c) RFE resets the clock. It's possible people received RFEs and then submitted that evidence which was quickly reviewed.

d) VisaJourney timeline fillers are representation of the all applications.

So with a giant grain of salt, the results were
DQ'ed without RFE: 68.6%

Received at least 1 RFE: 31.4%

1 hour ago, Laud said:

I chose 120 days as the indicator of whether or not someone got through first time. The data stretches back to 2021 where the processing times were longer.

You may want to check this assumption against the historical review timeframes -- https://visawhen.com/nvc

My case was in the May/Jun 2021 batch when review timeframes were typically under 40 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.