Kara Fitz

Request for documents after embassy interview - Wait time

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have scoured the VJ forums and cannot find any information on this topic more recent than 2019. My husband was asked for more evidence of my domicile at the embassy interview. Our case status still says "refused," not administrative processing. I am wondering if anyone has an educated estimate on how long the wait might be after submitting our evidence (which I think is more than persuasive, but of course I'm biased). It seems like there is a difference between a request for specific documentation and general/unexplained administrative processing, but it is also unclear if the first can mask for the second. I know the general 60 days estimate, but am wondering if anyone has or has read about specific similar experiences. 

More information:

My husband had his interview at the embassy last week (6/2) and all seemed to go well, but the Consular Officer concluded the interview by telling him that more evidence is necessary to prove my domicile in the United States, as, in his words, many US citizens seek green cards for spouses but do not actually intend to live in the United States. My husband tried to show him the evidence that he had with him in hard copy (sworn statements from myself and my father, my enrollment at Columbia Law School for the coming Fall), but the Consular Officer was very dismissive. He would not look at the papers and handed him a yellow sheet that asked him to submit proof of domicile online (By the way, NVC already requested further evidence of my domicile as well before we were DQ, which I think is standard, as I have been staying in Egypt since the pandemic began, when my Master's degree went remote. At that time, I provided my US driver's license, US health insurance, US phone bills, US bank statements, and affidavits testifying to my intent to reestablish domicile when my husband enters the United States). This time, we submitted a wave of further evidence: more bank statements and phone bills (billed to my permanent US address); my enrollment/scholarship letter and a large tuition deposit at Columbia Law School, in addition to student loan applications and external scholarship applications; my email correspondence and rental application looking for a NYC apartment with a lease starting in August; my CDC permit to bring my dog into the U.S., my driver's license, a lease signed with my parents to live in their house for 2 months in the summer before the semester begins, and new sworn statements from myself and my father. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the sworn statements (affidavits )  have little to no value to Immigration

it can take days,  weeks or months as there are other security checks being done also

u will have to come prior to his arrival or with him

and congratulations on Columbia Law School 

i went down there for my internship for PT as Cornell could only do a BS for Biology (My HBHS )

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

According to this (NVC website), it could take up to 60 days (This is specific to Casablanca, Morocco I guess): https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/CSB-Casablanca.html

image.png.9bd0d50c43ecb2262621555132659477.png

But you can do the same search for other consulates for sure

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.