L and D

Relocating to Mexico, will Embassy accept our I 130 transfer?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Russian wife and I are going through the i130 process. We're both outside the United States and in our eighth month of waiting. We're under Consular Processing and our petition is at the California Service Center. 

We left Russia for obvious reasons but have been hanging around in eastern Europe for her consulate interview, which is supposed to be in Warsaw (Russian petitions go there by default).

But now I'm enlisting into the Army and need to be closer to the US to make occasional trips to the states to do so. So we're moving to Mexico. It's just cheaper and faster from there than from Romania. And Russians can stay there for six months without a visa. 

Will we be able to ask the US Embassy in Mexico to conduct the visa interview when we get to that step? 

Edited by LouisJMarinelli

12 minutes ago, LouisJMarinelli said:

Will we be able to ask the US Embassy in Mexico to conduct the visa interview when we get to that step? 

Consulates typically require proof of citizenship at the host country or long-term legal residency before accepting a visa applicant's case transfer.  What proof can your Russian wife present if she has no visa?  Note also that CDJ consulate in Mexico has one of the biggest backlogs for spouse visa processing, even before COVID times.  Wait time for interview slot could be more than 1 year from DQ date.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Consulates typically require proof of citizenship at the host country or long-term legal residency before accepting a visa applicant's case transfer.  What proof can your Russian wife present if she has no visa?  Note also that CDJ consulate in Mexico has one of the biggest backlogs for spouse visa processing, even before COVID times.  Wait time for interview slot could be more than 1 year from DQ date.

Thank you for the response.

Do you know where one could check wait times for immigrant visas? I see non immigrant but can't see tables for immigrant visas. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How do u know Mexico will be close to where u are stationed for boot camp  and do u realize boot camp requires u not to leave until its over?

The Army conducts Basic Combat Training (BCT) at four locations: Fort Benning, GA, Fort Jackson, SC, Fort Leonard Wood, MO, and Fort Sill, OK.

She will be alone in Mexico

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

How do u know Mexico will be close to where u are stationed for boot camp  and do u realize boot camp requires u not to leave until its over?

The Army conducts Basic Combat Training (BCT) at four locations: Fort Benning, GA, Fort Jackson, SC, Fort Leonard Wood, MO, and Fort Sill, OK.

She will be alone in Mexico

Yes, of course. I'm talking about just the initial enlistment process, not. Basic training. 

11 minutes ago, LouisJMarinelli said:

Do you know where one could check wait times for immigrant visas? I see non immigrant but can't see tables for immigrant visas. 

No official announcement page about immigrant visa wait times at CDJ, as far as I know.  Members post their milestone dates on tracking threads here on VJ to help others get an indication of the wait times.  Here's one for CDJ --

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
54 minutes ago, LouisJMarinelli said:

Yes, of course. I'm talking about just the initial enlistment process, not. Basic training. 

so,  basically,  you will both be in Mexico and not working???

then you leave her alone in Mexico for basic training and after for your base assignment which could be out of the US???

Hard enough to get the criminal report for the NVC stage and interview IN Mexico but when someone is not a resident,  it gets sticky

Your plan is making a difficult process even harder 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.