Vytra

U.S. Citizens Flying to the Philippines from Canada

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I was wondering if there would be any issues flying to the Philippines from Canada. My wife and daughter plan to fly (they are both U.S. citizens). The reason they are flying from Canada is because we live close to the border and it is more affordable this way.

My wife is a former Filipino citizen so I believe she has Balikbayan privilege and thus does not need to apply for a visa, nor for the daughter since they are flying together. Is this correct?

My wife will only have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccines and not with the booster so she needs a negative PCR test 48 hours prior to the flight. The daughter is an infant.

Are there any potential issues?

Thanks. Just trying to cover all my bases.

F2A Visa

I-130 submitted: 03/05/2020

I-130 NOA1: 03/10/2020

I-I30 NOA2: 02/03/2021

DQ at NVC: 06/24/2021

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Vytra said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there would be any issues flying to the Philippines from Canada. My wife and daughter plan to fly (they are both U.S. citizens). The reason they are flying from Canada is because we live close to the border and it is more affordable this way.

My wife is a former Filipino citizen so I believe she has Balikbayan privilege and thus does not need to apply for a visa, nor for the daughter since they are flying together. Is this correct?

My wife will only have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccines and not with the booster so she needs a negative PCR test 48 hours prior to the flight. The daughter is an infant.

She does not need travel insurance if she is half filipino, tell her to bring her dual citizenship certificate with her. Antigen test 24hrs prior the flight. Booster is not needed. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lirfita said:

She does not need travel insurance if she is half filipino, tell her to bring her dual citizenship certificate with her. Antigen test 24hrs prior the flight. Booster is not needed. 

She is full Filipino. She received US citizenship this year but still has her Filipino passport. I think she is considered a “former Filipino citizen.”

F2A Visa

No issue.

Bring/show Philippine passport to Philippine immigration to avail balikbayan privilege rather than 30 day limit.  if she forgot it and only shows US passport, she is allowed entry and stay for 30 days, no visa needed.

Needs return ticket for visa-free, exempted if availing balikbayan privilege

passport valid at least 6 months.

travel health insurance recommended but not required.

Since no booster, get antigen negative test 24h or rtpcr 48 hrs before flight

Bring vaxxcard.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Vytra said:

Hello,

That is correct,  your wife and daughter can obtain the BB stamp in their passports.    

Did you complete Report of Birth to the Philippines for your daughter?   She would be a dual citizen, thus can have both U.S. and Philippine passport and would not need the BB stamp.

There's a new Philippines travel update, with some good news! The latest IATF resolution removed several of the requirements for entry into the Philippines - no more RTPCR tests, no more travel insurance, and I have a warning about a new scam related to obtaining the OneHealth Pass! I'll post a link to the new resolution, along with the current list of requirements for entry.  "

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2022/05may/20220526-IATF-Resolution-168-RRD.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3IaRqju19ZyzSNJk8Z_W2kgd3rnMcNzrzbOpzTVzYtx4_-6DqD0rrrp0k

6 hours ago, Vytra said:

She is full Filipino. She received US citizenship this year but still has her Filipino passport. I think she is considered a “former Filipino citizen.”

Yes she is a "former citizen"  ...  Carrying her old Philippine passport will provide evidence of this to obtain the BB stamp

Does your wife have her U.S. passport?      (A silly question but asking)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

That is correct,  your wife and daughter can obtain the BB stamp in their passports.    

Did you complete Report of Birth to the Philippines for your daughter?   She would be a dual citizen, thus can have both U.S. and Philippine passport and would not need the BB stamp.

There's a new Philippines travel update, with some good news! The latest IATF resolution removed several of the requirements for entry into the Philippines - no more RTPCR tests, no more travel insurance, and I have a warning about a new scam related to obtaining the OneHealth Pass! I'll post a link to the new resolution, along with the current list of requirements for entry.  "

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2022/05may/20220526-IATF-Resolution-168-RRD.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3IaRqju19ZyzSNJk8Z_W2kgd3rnMcNzrzbOpzTVzYtx4_-6DqD0rrrp0k

Yes she is a "former citizen"  ...  Carrying her old Philippine passport will provide evidence of this to obtain the BB stamp

Does your wife have her U.S. passport?      (A silly question but asking)

My wife does not have a booster dose (she is getting her second primary dose a week from today), so she would still need to get tested. 

She does have her U.S. passport.

We did not complete a Report of Birth. The daughter was born in the United States - does that matter?

Is it a problem that we will be flying using a non-Filipino airline? Where would they get the BB stamp? - from who and where?

Edited by Vytra

F2A Visa

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/3/2022 at 8:28 AM, Vytra said:

My wife does not have a booster dose (she is getting her second primary dose a week from today), so she would still need to get tested. 

She does have her U.S. passport.

We did not complete a Report of Birth. The daughter was born in the United States - does that matter?

Is it a problem that we will be flying using a non-Filipino airline? Where would they get the BB stamp? - from who and where?

Report of Birth (ROB) is for children of Filipino parent (s) born in a foreign country (USA in this case) so they have their Philippine citizenship recognized.    Its a good thing to get done.   This is filed through the consulate representing the state where the child was born.

You can fly any airline you like.   The BB stamp is acquired at the immigration booth as you enter the airport, simple ask for the stamp and present evidence (old passport) then your wife and child can get the stamp.

I was just slightly concerned with the passport as the Philippine passport isn't valid for international travel anymore.  Glad she has the U.S. passport

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.