Shaun & Seoyeon

NVC (I-864) Evidence

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, long time lurker here.  Been gathering what information I can about how to properly provide I-864 Evidence.  Would like to put what I've collected so far to see if there are any holes in my package.

**Situation: Have been living long-term with my spouse abroad, but planning to move back home.  Currently a student, so I have a bit less income this year and am not yet looking for employment back home.  Plan on living with parents back home (joint sponsor).  Income is well within the 125% needed.  My biggest questions, then, come from the "proof of..." evidence.  Especially about Proof of Domicile for my parents.  I've seen everything from Driver's License to Bills being enough, to have a copy of the house deed being needed.  Also curious about how much evidence for Proof of Maintained Domicile I need to provide.  I've got a bunch I can provide but is there a "too much isn't good" situation?

Would love input from the group if you can offer!

I864 Evidence.png

9 minutes ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

Hello all, long time lurker here.  Been gathering what information I can about how to properly provide I-864 Evidence.  Would like to put what I've collected so far to see if there are any holes in my package.

**Situation: Have been living long-term with my spouse abroad, but planning to move back home.  Currently a student, so I have a bit less income this year and am not yet looking for employment back home.  Plan on living with parents back home (joint sponsor).  Income is well within the 125% needed.  My biggest questions, then, come from the "proof of..." evidence.  Especially about Proof of Domicile for my parents.  I've seen everything from Driver's License to Bills being enough, to have a copy of the house deed being needed.  Also curious about how much evidence for Proof of Maintained Domicile I need to provide.  I've got a bunch I can provide but is there a "too much isn't good" situation?

I864 Evidence.png

How long have you lived overseas? 

I've been reading some reports the reviewers need more evidence if you've been living in another country for 5+ years but your current evidence looks good. 

I believe pay stubs for you are mandatory not optional. When the petitioner does not make enough money (I assume your income is currently $0 as you live overseas and income will not continue). You need to provide proof of employment- either paystubs or a contract. 

Everything else looks good. 

ETA: Are you a student in your spouse's country or are you studying online through a US university? 

Edited by ROK2USA

Thank you for responding!

Yes, this is part of what I was worried about.  I've been living for 10+ years abroad (Korea), married for 6.

Currently employed, but all income is earned here in Korea.  I can provide proof of employment and income here, but it's not going to be enough, so I'm absolutely planning on adding parents for joint sponsor.

Currently a student in the States (online program), but moving back to complete my program which needs to be done in the States. Still, however, I haven't been looking for employment back home yet because I'm still 1.5 years out from finishing school and wouldn't be able to apply for jobs in my related field.

10 minutes ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

Yes, this is part of what I was worried about.  I've been living for 10+ years abroad (Korea), married for 6.

Currently employed, but all income is earned here in Korea.  I can provide proof of employment and income here, but it's not going to be enough, so I'm absolutely planning on adding parents for joint sponsor.

Currently a student in the States (online program), but moving back to complete my program which needs to be done in the States. Still, however, I haven't been looking for employment back home yet because I'm still 1.5 years out from finishing school and wouldn't be able to apply for jobs in my related field.- Hopefully that will satisfy the CO. I know there is one interviewer in Seoul who likes to request additional evidence when the USC lives in Korea. Everything you plan to upload should get you DQ'ed but I suggest going to the interview with your wife when the time comes. 

1 hour ago, ROK2USA said:

I see.  Can I ask why it might be better (in that case) that I go to the interview with my spouse?

I only ask because I've seen some say that it's better if the US Citizen goes back first alone to start earning income and establishing domicile in the states.  Not sure how true this is, but also planning for  possibility that I might have to return to the states first (because my program requires) before my spouse get an interview date.

Thanks again for the responses and the info!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

some say that it's better if the US Citizen goes back first alone to start earning income and establishing domicile in the states.

This is a personal choice if you have a qualified joint sponsor.  Your income for the I-864 needs to continue once you move back to the US, so in your case, your current income is zero.  If you don't have a qualified joint sponsor, you will have to move back alone and establish sufficient US-based income to be sole financial sponsor for your spouse, six months of recent paystubs and a letter from your employer well above the minimum poverty level would be best to show some stability at the visa interview.  Some consulates/embassies are strict on US domicile for the petitioner, not sure about Korea.

Edited by carmel34

2 hours ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

I see.  Can I ask why it might be better (in that case) that I go to the interview with my spouse?

I only ask because I've seen some say that it's better if the US Citizen goes back first alone to start earning income and establishing domicile in the states.  Not sure how true this is, but also planning for  possibility that I might have to return to the states first (because my program requires) before my spouse get an interview date.

Thanks again for the responses and the info!

Ah~ I assumed you would still be in the country when your spouse interviewed. If you are in the States when she interviews domicile shouldn't be an issue. And the evidence you upload to NVC looks sufficient for DQ. 

ETA If you read reviews for the Seoul consulate on VJ you'll see the USC usually goes to the interview if they're in country. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 hours ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

I864 Evidence.png

Where did you find this checklist?    It looks like something from the past when things needed to be physically mailed to the NVC.  For example, the barcode and cover letter are not required. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
16 hours ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

Currently a student in the States (online program), but moving back to complete my program which needs to be done in the States. Still, however, I haven't been looking for employment back home yet because I'm still 1.5 years out from finishing school and wouldn't be able to apply for jobs in my related field.

It doesn't matter how much foreign income you have now, unless it will continue from the same source once you're back in the USA.  You will be entering ZERO as your current income and probably as your past income too. Unless you earned MORE than the foreign income exclusion, the total income line from your US federal tax returns will also be ZERO.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 5/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, ROK2USA said:

Ah~ I assumed you would still be in the country when your spouse interviewed. If you are in the States when she interviews domicile shouldn't be an issue. And the evidence you upload to NVC looks sufficient for DQ. 

ETA If you read reviews for the Seoul consulate on VJ you'll see the USC usually goes to the interview if they're in country. 

Got it.  If in country I would absolutely be present.  Where could I find these reviews for the Seoul consulate that you mention?  Are they in the forums or elsewhere?

On 5/29/2022 at 2:00 AM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Where did you find this checklist?    It looks like something from the past when things needed to be physically mailed to the NVC.  For example, the barcode and cover letter are not required. 

It's a checklist I put together myself, piecemealing information together from different sources (here, reddit groups, facebook groups, the state department steps site), but yeah I did suspect that some pieces might be outdated for when things were done by mail.

The barcode and cover letter, however, were things I pulled from this site.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

It's a checklist I put together myself, piecemealing information together from different sources (here, reddit groups, facebook groups, the state department steps site), but yeah I did suspect that some pieces might be outdated for when things were done by mail.

The barcode and cover letter, however, were things I pulled from this site.

Barcoded cover sheets were used when sending documents by mail to NVC.  Everything is uploaded now, and you cannot upload until after the fees shows as paid.

Follow actual NVC instructions.  Follow actual I-864 instructions.  If you still have questions, ask away, but throw out most of what you read anywhere else.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 5/31/2022 at 12:10 PM, Shaun & Seoyeon said:

Got it.  If in country I would absolutely be present.  Where could I find these reviews for the Seoul consulate that you mention?  Are they in the forums or elsewhere?

You can find consulate information and reviews here.

If you complete your timeline  and profile and register for updates you'll get a notifications whenever someone posts to the portal. 

I used to follow the US spouse process forum on waygook (if you ever used that platform).  so am aware most go to the interview together... granted that was mostly during DCF times.

US Embassy Seoul has this on the website: Only applicants with appointments will be admitted into the U.S. Embassy. Due to the limited space in our interview waiting room, only beneficiaries may enter; the petitioner may accompany the applicant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.