ZackAttack

Receiving scholarships while waiting on AOS

6 posts in this topic

My partner recently arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa, and he has been taking ESL classes while waiting for his adjustment of status application to be approved.

His school recently offered him a scholarship. Is there any issue with him accepting this money?

Technically he isn't working, he is a student, so I wasn't sure if this would cause any issues with his green card approval. 

My husband also started school after he arrived on the K1 but before he had his green card. He was not allowed to file a FAFSA due to his status, therefore he couldn't accept most scholarship money. Did your partner file a FAFSA? However, they let him have in-state tuition even though he had not been living there for a year because I had been living there for a year. He was able to accept scholarship money once he got his green card and he could fill out the FAFSA.

45 minutes ago, ZackAttack said:

My partner recently arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa, and he has been taking ESL classes while waiting for his adjustment of status application to be approved.

His school recently offered him a scholarship. Is there any issue with him accepting this money?

Technically he isn't working, he is a student, so I wasn't sure if this would cause any issues with his green card approval. 

No issue if it is a scholarship intended to defray costs of his attendance (tuition, books, fees, etc) vs. a taxable stipend for a TA-ship or something, which would be much more typical at the graduate level.

1 minute ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

My husband also started school after he arrived on the K1 but before he had his green card. He was not allowed to file a FAFSA due to his status, therefore he couldn't accept most scholarship money. Did your partner file a FAFSA? However, they let him have in-state tuition even though he had not been living there for a year because I had been living there for a year. He was able to accept scholarship money once he got his green card and he could fill out the FAFSA.

Scholarship/grant (free money) is different than guaranteed (federally subsidized) student loan.

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Scholarship/grant (free money) is different than guaranteed (federally subsidized) student loan.

I totally agree, but I wasn't referring to a loan. We paid cash for school. At least at my husband's school, a FAFSA needed to be filed in order to even be considered for most of the merit scholarships or grants.  If I remember correctly, they gave him some small scholarship from an alumni association that did not require filing a FAFSA. Once he got his green card, we went back to the  financial aid office and he was allowed to apply for scholarships after filing a FAFSA. That was our situation anyway, although perhaps it varies school to school.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.