fatehsmann

Traveling first time on a visa (issued in 2017) on old passport

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
36 minutes ago, fatehsmann said:

few uncomfortable questions at

That depends on why you didn’t travel in 2017 after you got the visa.  

I was issued the visa along with my immediate family to travel to a wedding, but my grandmother got really sick so we cancelled and had to be admitted to the hospital, so we decided to cancel.  

You mean this maybe a problem for immigration officers?

What other issues might I face?

Edited by fatehsmann

Timeline
Just now, fatehsmann said:

We were all supposed to go for a family wedding, but my grandmother got really sick so we cancelled.

Cool not a problem.  I hope she got better.  

Just now, fatehsmann said:

You mean this maybe a problem for immigration officers?

A different  reason might have been problem, depending on what it was.  The reason you have is perfectly understandable. 

So do I have anything to worry about? What if the immigration officer doesn't believe me? Do I need to carry any evidence, like hospital papers?

Sorry if I seem paranoid- but I'm booking everything in advance so its going to cost me a lot of money if immigration decides to send me back for whatever reason. 😅

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Cool not a problem.  I hope she got better.  

A different  reason might have been problem, depending on what it was.  The reason you have is perfectly understandable. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, fatehsmann said:

So do I have anything to worry about?

I don’t think so.  

However when someone keeps asking the same question I start to wonder.

1. So let me be blunt: have you acquired a criminal record since 2017?

2. Or might you have acquired an acquaintance with someone who is a U.S. citizen or lives in the U.S. with whom you might have a romantic interest?

3. Are you thinking about someday immigrating to the US?

What if the immigration officer doesn't believe me?

You will spend time in secondary inspection being  asked the same questions repeatedly until you falter  or they give up. If the latter you are admitted.   

Do I need to carry any evidence, like hospital papers?

It would not hurt.  

Sorry if I seem paranoid- but I'm booking everything in advance so its going to cost me a lot of money if immigration decides to send me back for whatever reason. 😅

Look into getting travel insurance that covers or partially covers this contingency.  

13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don’t think so.  

However when someone keeps asking the same question I start to wonder.

1. So let me be blunt: have you acquired a criminal record since 2017?

No

2. Or might you have acquired an acquaintance with someone who is a U.S. citizen or lives in the U.S. with whom you might have a romantic interest?

No

3. Are you thinking about someday immigrating to the US?

No

You will spend time in secondary inspection being  asked the same questions repeatedly until you falter  or they give up. If the latter you are admitted.   

It would not hurt.  

Look into getting travel insurance that covers or partially covers this contingency.

Thank you for your answers Mike! My answer is no to all your questions-  I just wanted to prepare for every eventuality 🙂

Edited by fatehsmann

I can’t see any reason for that to be a problem, especially as the US does not require you to have firm travel plans when you apply for a visa. As long as the visa is still valid for entry that’s fine. I wouldn’t bother about documents showing why you didn’t travel before, but if you have anything to show why you would return back home after your trip (job, school etc) I’d bring those.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Shouldn't be a problem. Back when I had a B1/B2 visa I stapled the old passport with the visa to the back of the new one and never had any issue going through customs this way. Did this probably 20 times over a 2-year period and it was as easy as it sounds.

2018-08-14: I-140 sent

2018-08-17: I-140 NOA1

2018-12-31: I-140 RFE

2019-02-13: I-140 RFE reply sent

2019-03-21: I-140 Approved

2020-04-22: NVC received

2021-11-19: NVC left

2021-12-20: Interview date (approved)

2021-12-29: Visa received

2022-04-17: US Entry

2 minutes ago, sauldelgado said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Back when I had a B1/B2 visa I stapled the old passport with the visa to the back of the new one and never had any issue going through customs this way. Did this probably 20 times over a 2-year period and it was as easy as it sounds.

Should never staple passports  - some immigration officers view that as defacement and may refuse entry 

but yes bring old passport with still-valid visa and new passport,  i did that many times 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Should never staple passports  - some immigration officers view that as defacement and may refuse entry 

but yes bring old passport with still-valid visa and new passport,  i did that many times 

It was actually a CBP officer who stapled it. Never had any issue whatsoever. Probably just got lucky I guess.

2018-08-14: I-140 sent

2018-08-17: I-140 NOA1

2018-12-31: I-140 RFE

2019-02-13: I-140 RFE reply sent

2019-03-21: I-140 Approved

2020-04-22: NVC received

2021-11-19: NVC left

2021-12-20: Interview date (approved)

2021-12-29: Visa received

2022-04-17: US Entry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.