Pleasework89

Tourist visa for in-laws? (merged)

9 posts in this topic

My husband is planning to immigrate to the U.S. and his parents are staying in their home country. We don't plan on ever coming to his home country once he gets his green card. SO his parents will have to come visit us, could they be granted a tourist visa? They don't have any plans to immigrate seeing as their whole lives are in their home country. What kind of evidence do they need to prove that they don't plan to immigrate and are only visiting? Thanks in advance for your responses. 

14 hours ago, Pleasework89 said:

What kind of evidence do they need to prove that they don't plan to immigrate and are only visiting?

All the information the consulate requires for a B visa application is in the DS-160 form.  Your in-laws should answer the form completely and truthfully, then see how it goes.  Only way to know for sure if they will be approved is to apply.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 hours ago, Chancy said:

All the information the consulate requires for a B visa application is in the DS-160 form.  Your in-laws should answer the form completely and truthfully, then see how it goes.  Only way to know for sure if they will be approved is to apply.

I'm trying to apply for my wife's parents to visit the US.  When I fill out the DS160 online for them(they are not tech savvy), does it require a digital signature from my wife's mom and dad?

• 2 months later...

How difficult would it be for parents of a green card holder to get a tourist visa to visit him and their US citizen granddaughter in the U.S.? 

I am worried my in-laws don't have strong ties to their home country. They are NOT interested in immigrating. They are in their late 50s early 60s, semi-retired living in a country where you need a tourist visa to enter US. They own their own home and care for their elderly parents. Those are their strong ties. They have also never traveled outside their home country. Their only son is the green card holder. So, what are their chances and what to do to better the odds? 

18 minutes ago, Pleasework89 said:

How difficult would it be for parents of a green card holder to get a tourist visa to visit him and their US citizen granddaughter in the U.S.? 

I am worried my in-laws don't have strong ties to their home country. They are NOT interested in immigrating. They are in their late 50s early 60s, semi-retired living in a country where you need a tourist visa to enter US. They own their own home and care for their elderly parents. Those are their strong ties. They have also never traveled outside their home country. Their only son is the green card holder. So, what are their chances and what to do to better the odds? 

I would say those are decent ties.  It might depend on the country.  You will get better advice if you state the county.

House has a title in their name?  Money in the bank?  How would they prove the care for the parents?  Do they provide all support for the parents?  How do they pay for it?  Would you consider them poor?

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

1 minute ago, seekingthetruth said:

House has a title in their name?  Money in the bank?  How would they prove the care for the parents?  Do they provide all support for the parents?  How do they pay for it?  Would you consider them poor?

Their home is under their name, they are comfortable financially. Own multiple properties. Have a healthy bank account. As for their parents' care, they live with them and care for them. The elderly parents are bedridden. Aside from hospital bills there is no other medical bills to show they care for them. They have credit cards that have visa/Mastercard so if they travel to the U.S. they don't have to take any cash with them. They will never really want to move to the states, so we can't apply for an immigrant visa when my husband naturalized in a few years...but how to show that to the visa officer? 

1 hour ago, Pleasework89 said:

Their home is under their name, they are comfortable financially. Own multiple properties. Have a healthy bank account. As for their parents' care, they live with them and care for them. The elderly parents are bedridden. Aside from hospital bills there is no other medical bills to show they care for them. They have credit cards that have visa/Mastercard so if they travel to the U.S. they don't have to take any cash with them. They will never really want to move to the states, so we can't apply for an immigrant visa when my husband naturalized in a few years...but how to show that to the visa officer? 

Sounds like they should do ok.  They will be interviewed and should just answer everything honestly, and bring documents for everything you mentioned, in case they ask for them.  

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

• Ontarkie changed the title to Tourist visa for in-laws? (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. PLease do not start more than one thread for similar questions~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.