DreamCatcher77

April 2022 I-130 in person for Ukrainian parent at the foreign consulate

3 posts in this topic

Hello fellow US Citizens. With the war in our home country of Ukraine many of our parents fled to the nearby European countries, and my mom was one of them. I contacted the embassy in Bucharest to see what can be done to bring her safely to the US. She has not been here before and had one b1/b2 denial while I was a green card holder. (for understandable reasons, but at the same time I'm like how can I ask someone to commit to move here through family reunion if they never got a chance to come check it out. anyway. so now it's exactly what's gonna be happening - going back to Ukraine is not an option and luckily I'm a USC so here we go.)

I called to the US Embassy in Romania to see how I can take her in. The consulate stated I have to fly in person to Romania and petition in person with their office.
So here I am  at 1 am filling out I-130 and I-864. I have a flight booked for next week so this is the time to get all the ducks in a row. So far these are the questions I have:

I-130 questions:

• For beneficiary's PHYSICAL address - I understand it as where she is physically located in Romania with a host family.
  • ADDRESS ABROAD - that is the home address in Ukraine... if anything is left of it.. do you fill that out still in English or in native letters? Some forms used to ask to fill this out in native letters, I do not see anything like this so I assume in English is ok. For the physical registration address in Ukraine we have a certificate from the national registry stating that is her address and did have this paper certified translated.
  • Where it will ask about beneficiary's employment - she is disabled and has a little "disability passport book" idk what to call it - in America it's like a veteran's card they carry. I am thinking to have that certified translated just in case, what do you think?
  • For parent #2 - my biological father is deceased but he passed away after that got divorced (I have a divorce decree certified translated), not sure if I still list the name and just say "deceased" where it is asking about country of residence...

I-864 questions:

• For taxes we filed "married filing jointly" - so I would list the joint total income, correct? Since this counts as my income as well and there is also a line that is asking for the name of any other person whose income is being used. Should my husband write a little cover page that we will add as an attachment that he is fully on board with using his income?

These are all the questions I can think of so far, please let me know if you have any other input and if someone is flying to file in person let's stay in touch. Thank you.

6 hours ago, DreamCatcher77 said:

I-130 questions

• Beneficiary's PHYSICAL address -- yes, enter the current address in Romania.
  • ADDRESS ABROAD -- if you mean the address questions on page 5, answer using the English alphabet.  On page 8, there is a section to enter the foreign address information using the native alphabet.  No need to provide any proof of Ukrainian residence.  The beneficiary's Ukrainian passport is enough evidence to qualify for expedited processing currently given to Ukrainians.
  • Beneficiary's employment -- Being disabled is not employment.  No need to provide the "disability passport" or any evidence of disability.  Entering "Unemployed" or "Retired" is fine, whichever is applicable.
  • Biological father's residence -- yes, enter "Deceased" for city/country of residence.
6 hours ago, DreamCatcher77 said:

Should my husband write a little cover page that we will add as an attachment that he is fully on board with using his income?

Cover page is not required.  Another form is required from your spouse, if you are going to list your joint household income in the I-864 form.  In addition to the I-864 from you, you and your husband must fill out and sign form I-864A, with you as the petitioning sponsor and he as the household member.  Details here -- https://www.uscis.gov/i-864a

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.