Ian88

K1 path - update

6 posts in this topic

Hey - a quick update on my progress; hopefully this gives current applicants an idea of contemporary time frames for various stages of the process after entry to the US.

I entered via LAX on January 16, 2022.

Filed I-485, I-765, and I-131 on February 2, 2022. Biometrics appointment was on lMarch 3, 2022. EAD card arrived on March 23, 2022 (45 days from filing). Finally, my Green Card interview is scheduled for May 20, 2022.

I also called my local Social Security Administration office 10 days after entry and arranged an in-person appointment. My SSN (card) arrived 45 days later - took a while, but this was faster than checking the option to do it during AOS filing.

Anyway, things seem to be moving much faster than they have been during the covid era!

Edited by Ian88

27 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

@Ian88

That amazing news. That’s faster than the old days when I was a  K1. Do you think that’s the new norm or you just got lucky? 

Thank you sir. Hard to say without more data I guess - hopefully it's the former. 

I've also just had a job offer, so life in the US is treating me pretty nicely! Getting prepared for the GC interview now and then I can relax until the next phase(s) - I want to become naturalized, so going to reads up on that when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ian88 said:

Thank you sir. Hard to say without more data I guess - hopefully it's the former. 

I've also just had a job offer, so life in the US is treating me pretty nicely! Getting prepared for the GC interview now and then I can relax until the next phase(s) - I want to become naturalized, so going to reads up on that when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Three years from the date on your greencard you are eligible based on marriage to a USC. Or five years if not based on marriage.  You can apply 90 days before your eligibility date. I found the whole thing easy because I started learning all about the government and some American history early on. My wife is a good teacher. By the time for the,citizenship test, it was just general knowledge to me. 

You will have to do Removing Conditions before your greencard expires (2 years from issue date). You submit things proving your legit marriage showing you live together and commingle finances. Get things in both names or show same address  and save/print  some copies from now, middle, and right before you apply. They want to see dates covering a span of the two years. Car insurance, utilities, bank account statements, phone plan, credit cards, beneficiary designations, taxes, leases, mortgage,  pet adoption, driver licenses, gym memberships, boarding passes for trips, etc. We threw things in a folder from time to time including photos. Then when my two years rolled around we just had to organize what we wanted to submit from a big pile of stuff already gathered. That way you aren’t wishing you hadn’t thrown out that old car insurance proof from 2021. That’s just a tip to keep in mind so you aren’t one of those people who comes on  VJ and says “I threw all that old stuff away.”  

• 5 weeks later...

Update

Had my Green Card interview yesterday. Was pretty quick - the officer allowed by my Wife and I into the interview. Asked how we met, if I’m on her Health Insurance (I am, but didn’t bring documentation - so bring that if it applies to you), and just general questions. My wife mentioned I am working now and he asked her to explain what I do. He asked for the marriage certificate and he kept the copy I had brought, allowing me to keep the original. He then asked us to open our phones and show him some photos of our relationship; we had some from our court marriage and he was satisfied with those. Then he told us he would approve but gave us a notice telling us our case was pending review (this is normal apparently), then we were done.

Case was updated to approved this morning and card should arrive in the mail.

14 hours ago, Ian88 said:

Update

Had my Green Card interview yesterday. Was pretty quick - the officer allowed by my Wife and I into the interview. Asked how we met, if I’m on her Health Insurance (I am, but didn’t bring documentation - so bring that if it applies to you), and just general questions. My wife mentioned I am working now and he asked her to explain what I do. He asked for the marriage certificate and he kept the copy I had brought, allowing me to keep the original. He then asked us to open our phones and show him some photos of our relationship; we had some from our court marriage and he was satisfied with those. Then he told us he would approve but gave us a notice telling us our case was pending review (this is normal apparently), then we were done.

Case was updated to approved this morning and card should arrive in the mail.

Congratulations! 

Hopefully adjustment cases are speeding up or they've decided to work front to back. 

You should post this timeline in the K1 AOS February 2022 thread. I think they will find it helpful. 

But, I am seeing at least one other person from Feb 2022 received an IL. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.