TinTin and Samby

Philippine Passport Renewal *IN* the Philippines - What happens to previous passport

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings to all!

I have 2 questions regarding Philippine Passport renewals. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have personal experience with this SPECIFIC situation IN THE PHILIPPINES. Thanks in advance! :)

Question #1: If a filipino citizen who already has a passport from the Phillipines goes in to get their passport renewed IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES, do they keep their old passport or do they have to surrender it? If they have to surrendor it, do they get it returned to them (even if marked "NO LONGER VALID" or something) when the new passport is issued?

Question #2: When renewing a Philippine passport IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES, is the filipino citizen allowed to do that at any time while their current passport is valid or are they only permitted to renew it within a certain period of time before their passport is set to expire.

Thanks so much for any personal experiences you can share regarding these questions!

-Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

I would assume they will let you keep the old one. Claudeth renewed her passport here in Los Angeles and they gave her the old one back so just figure it would be the same in the RP.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I would assume they will let you keep the old one. Claudeth renewed her passport here in Los Angeles and they gave her the old one back so just figure it would be the same in the RP.

they will let you keep the old but they put holes in it like they're gona use the "puncher"

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Greetings to all!

I have 2 questions regarding Philippine Passport renewals. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have personal experience with this SPECIFIC situation IN THE PHILIPPINES. Thanks in advance! :)

Question #1: If a filipino citizen who already has a passport from the Phillipines goes in to get their passport renewed IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES, do they keep their old passport or do they have to surrender it? If they have to surrendor it, do they get it returned to them (even if marked "NO LONGER VALID" or something) when the new passport is issued?

Question #2: When renewing a Philippine passport IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES, is the filipino citizen allowed to do that at any time while their current passport is valid or are they only permitted to renew it within a certain period of time before their passport is set to expire.

Thanks so much for any personal experiences you can share regarding these questions!

-Samby

Question #1. The old passport will be returned to you .. with punches on its covers indicating that it is no longer valid...

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Timeline

Jazman0717 - Thanks for your reply. However, after living in the Philippines for a year and having dealt with many govt offices there, I can tell you from personal experience that "logical assumptions" dont enter into the picture in the Philippines. And unfortunately, from personal experience, I also can tell you that the processes that are used iin Phillipine consultates in foreign countries many times are quite different than those used in the home country. Heck, even from 1 office to the next, in country, the processes can be different. This is the reason that i am looking for someone who actually has done the scenario i describe, IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES. I do , however, appreciate you taking the time to reply and try to help. Thanks for that.

ronmay & Ed*Riza - Thanks for your replies. Have you folks PERSONALLY experiened this with the passport renewel being done IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES?

Can anyone comment on my Question #2, regarding passport renewel timeframe?

Thanks to all! :)

-Samby

TinTin and Samby

Jazman0717 - Thanks for your reply. However, after living in the Philippines for a year and having dealt with many govt offices there, I can tell you from personal experience that "logical assumptions" dont enter into the picture in the Philippines. And unfortunately, from personal experience, I also can tell you that the processes that are used iin Phillipine consultates in foreign countries many times are quite different than those used in the home country. Heck, even from 1 office to the next, in country, the processes can be different. This is the reason that i am looking for someone who actually has done the scenario i describe, IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES. I do , however, appreciate you taking the time to reply and try to help. Thanks for that.

ronmay & Ed*Riza - Thanks for your replies. Have you folks PERSONALLY experiened this with the passport renewel being done IN PERSON, IN THE PHILIPPINES?

-Samby

MIne was done by a travel agent i paid a bit higher for it because i have a work and the line at the DFA is terrible . I kept my old passport with that holes..I can not answer the second question because mine was renewed just this year supposedly it shd have been 2004..

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

-Samby

I applied and renewed my passports "personally" to DFA (MANILA). I had renewed my passports 2x and the last one which was still current (expiry 2009), I renewed it so I can use my husband's surname. They will give you the "old" passports back with "cut" portions (so you can't used it anymore-> go figure, if its expired, so definitely it can not be used from that time). And it only takes about 3 days for the "rush" Processing (additional fee of about p200.00) and 5-7 days for the regular processing.

Its not really a hassle to apply or renew passports. You can also use a travel agency to renew the passports but it will cost you more (about half more than the regular price).

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

Timeline

Thanks Helen (vsmtqhdy) for your reply and info. With your experience and the other folks who shared, I am feeling more confident about my Q1 - the fact that the DFA in Manila *WILL* return the old passport. This is important to us because it has entry and exit immigration stamps that are essential evidence for us. I have previously heard that in Manila, sometimes the DFA officers will NOT return the old passport. This would not be good for us.

Regarding Q2 - ability to renew passport EARLY (before its actual expiration date). In your scenario, Helen, your purpose was not actually to renew, it was to file a a change of name, which results in a new passport being issued (and the expiration extended). This is not the same situation as we have. We simply ant to renew the passport to be able to increase the period of time until it will expire.

So, I'm still looking for anyone who has experience in renewing their Philippine passport (well) earlier than its expiration date (like 1.5 years before it expires). Thanks in advance to anyone who can share info on this point.

-Samby

TinTin and Samby

• 16 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.