feejo

Green card expiring travel to Canada

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My GC is about to exipre. What can I do to visit Canada this summer. I usualy just show my GC (while crossing by car)  and I am good to cross. I read I can't get back in if it expire.

What should I file for naturalisation?

Thanks

Edited by feejo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you file to renew it?  If not, you should do so ASAP.  You'll likely be issued a paper NOA extending the validity of your card so you can travel. 

Have you met the requirements for naturalization?

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You won't be able to complete naturalization by this Summer, so as others said, you need to renew your GC.  If you have a 2 year conditional green card, you should be filing the I-751, but if you have a 10 year green card, you will file the I-90.  Either way, you should get a notice from USCIS after they accept the renewal documents that extend the validity of your GC.  When you cross back into the US, you will show the expired GC and the original notice you received.

To file for naturalization, you use form N400.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, mam521 said:

Did you file to renew it?  If not, you should do so ASAP.  You'll likely be issued a paper NOA extending the validity of your card so you can travel. 

requirements for naturalization. Yes

Can I just get a canadian Passport and cross by car?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, feejo said:

requirements for naturalization. Yes

Can I just get a canadian Passport and cross by car?

How are you going to legally return to the US? 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
19 minutes ago, randy32 said:

have you filed to have it renewed? I think the notice includes an extension if your green card expires in less than a year.

To file for naturalization, it would depend on how you acquired your LPR status.

To file for naturalization, it would depend on how you acquired your LPR status.

I marryed to a US citizen.

Several things that you will have to figure out.

If this is your 2 year green card, you will have to file removal of conditions to get your 10 year green card.

To file for naturalization, you will have to be married for at least 3 years to your spouse. See details in the link below.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Timeline

You need to do a couple of things: 

1. Fill out your timeline: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=47738

2.File to renew your greencard

3. Renew your Canadian passport.  Everyone should have a valid passport. 

4. If you have a 10 year greencard and have met the residency requirements, file your N400.  This will NOT be complete by the time you want to travel to Canada and since you've crossed the border without a passport, you're likely going to need to complete a FOIA request to get your travel history. 

5. If you have a 2yr greencard, then you need to do as listed above, remove conditions and get a 10 year greencard.  Then you can file for naturalization.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
11 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Tax transcript is issued by the IRS after your tax return has been filed and processed. Tax return refers to the forms you filled out and submitted when you filed 

Same info but very different format 

9 hours ago, Lil bear said:

You can order tax transcripts over the phone to be mailed to you .. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

tax transcripts must be uploaded onto your N400 application.. as well as all and any other applicable evidence as per the website instructions.  

On 4/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, mam521 said:

Have you met the requirements for naturalization? Yes.

Should I apply for citizenship at same time? Or wait to get the Notice or green card?

Edited by feejo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.