Choc_pudding21

N400 Interview scheduled after moving

14 posts in this topic

So I'm currently residing in NY, moving to WA in about 2 weeks (April 11th). In the middle of planning my move, I received a letter that I have an interview scheduled for April 28th at the field office in NY.

I called USCIS Customer Service (or whatever it's called), and the agent there told me I would be okay to move, not change my address on the USCIS website, and then fly back to NY for my interview and inform the interview officer of my address change then. She said that if I were to make the address change online soon as I move, this could delay my interview date by 2 months or longer.

Does this sound right to anyone? I'm going to call back tomorrow to get a second or even third opinion. I also don't know how long I would have to stay in NY after my interview because there's no guarantee the Oath Ceremony would be the same day.

Edited by Choc_pudding21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i would say yes as it takes time for everything to go from one office to the other and then relying on how busy the new WA office would be

but if oath is not the same day,  u can ask for that to happen in WA and provide new address at interview

always keep an interview date when immigration schedules one,  its hard to reschedule 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Choc_pudding21 said:

Does this sound right to anyone?

Not to me.  Non citizens  are required to notify USCIS of a change of  address.  

I’d attend the interview if isn’t canceled.  And inform the IO that your address has changed.  

23 minutes ago, Choc_pudding21 said:

I'm going to call back tomorrow to get a second or even third opinion.    .

Most likely you will speak to l tier 1 officers and I would discount anything they say. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’d attend the interview if isn’t canceled.  And inform the IO that your address has changed.  

Most likely you will speak to l tier 1 officers and I would discount anything they say. 

i would say the officer was thinking too close to interview to change address especially USCIS is poor at doing the change

but after the interview (if needed)  change it 

if u get to take the oath ,   forget USCIS and change your info at SS office 

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

i would say yes as it takes time for everything to go from one office to the other and then relying on how busy the new WA office would be

but if oath is not the same day,  u can ask for that to happen in WA and provide new address at interview

always keep an interview date when immigration schedules one,  its hard to reschedule 

Right, I assumed there would be a significant backlog if I were to move the appointment to a new office.

Got it, I certainly wouldn't mind delaying the oath as long as the interview is completed asap.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Exactly what I thought, which is why I'm not sure what to do here. So you think I should do the change of address online and then hope they don't cancel/reschedule the interview?

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yeah that's what I assumed. It's happened before when I was doing my I-485 that I had some questions and it took speaking to 2-3 people before I got connected with someone who knew what they were talking about.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Choc_pudding21 said:

Exactly what I thought, which is why I'm not sure what to do here. So you think I should do the change of address online and then hope they don't cancel/reschedule the interview?

Yes. 

If you don’t and come back form the interview be sure to inform the IO that you’ve moved.  

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Yes. 

If you don’t and come back form the interview be sure to inform the IO that you’ve moved.  

That's what the person on the phone suggested.

They told me to go ahead and move, and whenever I fly back for the interview, tell the IO about my move/change of address and provide them with proof (New ID, apartment lease, bill etc). They said that if I were to make the change of address online there's a chance the interview will be automatically moved to a field office in WA.

Edited by Choc_pudding21

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Choc_pudding21 said:

That's what the person on the phone suggested.

Understood.  I am not telling you to fail to file a change of address.  I’m telling you if you decided to break one regulation, don’t compound the problem by failing to disclose that you’ve moved.  

2 minutes ago, Choc_pudding21 said:

They told me to go ahead and move, […]

Right. I am not telling you to do that.  The law says you have to report your change of address when you move.  

@Mike E @JeanneAdil

Figured I'd give an update; I called back two more times and finally got someone who wasn't just reading from the script.

They told me they didn't know what I should do (which I appreciated the honesty), and that they would escalate my request to a Tier 2 officer with an urgency note on it so hopefully they will call me back sooner than the expected 30 days.

At this point, the LAST thing I want to do is fail to report my address change and then it comes back to get me.

Edited by Choc_pudding21

Timeline

Calling USCIS is just a waste of time most of the time.  

Even if you get a tier 2 call in 30 days, given when your interview is, a call at say 8pm Washington state time on April 27 telling you to come to your interview on April 28 isn’t much help unless you want to spend thousands of dollars for a literally last minute red eye trans continental  flight.  Assuming there is a seat.  

Then arrive  at your interview bleary eyed, in need of a shower, etc.  

Not a good scene.  

Delay your move (if your new FO is Seattle this is strongly advised) or file a change of address request.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Even if you get a tier 2 call in 30 days, given when your interview is, a call at say 8pm Washington state time on April 27 telling you to come to your interview on April 28 isn’t much help unless you want to spend thousands of dollars for a literally last minute red eye trans continental  flight.  Assuming there is a seat.  

Then arrive  at your interview bleary eyed, in need of a shower, etc.  

Not a good scene.  

Delay your move (if your new FO is Seattle this is strongly advised) or file a change of address request.

April 11 interview 

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Even if you get a tier 2 call in 30 days, given when your interview is, a call at say 5pm Washington state time on April 27 telling you to come to your interview on April 28 isn’t much help unless you want to spend thousands of dollars for a last minute red eye trans continental  flight.  Arrive at your interview bleary eyed, in need of a shower, etc.  

Not a good scene.  

Delay your move or file a change of address request.

I already have a fully refundable flight booked just in case, not waiting until the last minute to make those arrangements.

Too late to delay my move, money already spent for moving, lease, etc

Just now, JeanneAdil said:

April 11 interview 

I leave NY between 11-12th, interview is April 28th.

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 12:18 PM, Choc_pudding21 said:

I already have a fully refundable flight booked just in case, not waiting until the last minute to make those arrangements.

Too late to delay my move, money already spent for moving, lease, etc

I leave NY between 11-12th, interview is April 28th.

May I know what happened to your interview? Very interesting case.

My situation is more complicated than this
I applied on 01/19/2022 and was scheduled interview on 07/15

I had to travel to India on 06/13/2022 due to an emergency, my apartment lease was due to end and I vacated the apartment before leaving to India. 

I called and rescheduled the interview that was supposed to happen on 07/15

My rescheduled interview is on 09/22
I came back on 09/14 and I have a new address. Should I update the new address today or just go and attend the interview on 9/22 and inform the field officer during the interview? Also, my DL is from Connecticut and I didn't get that transferred to Texas. Will that be a problem?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.