charlottewitch

March 2022 - K1 NVC thread for Mexico

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

For the evidence of financial support, do we need to provide all of those items listed or just one? If anyone has a sample letter from their employer could you share it? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, M+K said:

For the evidence of financial support, do we need to provide all of those items listed or just one? If anyone has a sample letter from their employer could you share it? 

I've been told to provide:

- Form i-134

- Tax Transcripts for 2019, 2020, 2021 (last 3 years) from irs.gov

- Last six months of bank statements (I had March, April, May, June, July, August printed.)

Can't help you on the latter question unfortunately, as my situation is different and doesn't require an employer letter.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, charlottewitch said:

To my best knowledge, yes, they need to bring their vaccination card.

I thought you could waive or elect to waive vaccinations during medical and still receive the K1. Can you cross by land if you receive K1 without vaccinations? It would be really helpful if someone could clarify this for me.

Timeline
On 8/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, cookies&cream said:

Good news! We finally received our interview instructions. 😃 The interview will be on September 15th and I will have the biometrics and documents appointments on September 14th. I haven't made the appointment for medical yet, but I'm guessing it'll be on the 13th. Also, only my fiancé (petitioner) received the email with instructions, I didn't receive anything.

I wanted to comment on this. Like @charlottewitch said, it was probably too early to submit it, buuuuut the 30 days expiration thing is just for when you save it, it stays saved for 30 days. After you submit it, I'm not sure how long it's valid for, I've seen people say it's a year though. In any case, I'd recommend to fill out a new one once you have the instructions and use that one, because some information might've changed, considering you still have to wait a few months to receive instructions for the interview. 

Sooo @charlottewitch and @M+K

I'm thinking your appointments will be in September as well ❤️❤️❤️ 

How did the interview go?! When did you end up having your medical? Do you have any tips or insight you can share about the days you spent in the city? 

Timeline
On 9/14/2022 at 6:56 AM, charlottewitch said:

I've been told to provide:

- Form i-134

- Tax Transcripts for 2019, 2020, 2021 (last 3 years) from irs.gov

- Last six months of bank statements (I had March, April, May, June, July, August printed.)

Can't help you on the latter question unfortunately, as my situation is different and doesn't require an employer letter.

Who gave you these directions? 

On 9/14/2022 at 1:44 AM, M+K said:

I would recommend to bring as much as you can of the examples they give in the instructions but you probably won't need it all. I brought my fiancé's work letter and paystubs and they didn't require it, only asked for the tax transcripts. I didn't bring bank statements but they didn't ask for them either. 

15 hours ago, Foreignmiks said:

I thought you could waive or elect to waive vaccinations during medical and still receive the K1. Can you cross by land if you receive K1 without vaccinations? It would be really helpful if someone could clarify this for me.

Yes, you can choose not to be vaccinated. It's not a requirement for the k1 visa but it is for AOS so that's why it's recommended to get them before you travel, but yeah you can definitely get the visa without getting vaccinated.

8 hours ago, M+K said:

How did the interview go?! When did you end up having your medical? Do you have any tips or insight you can share about the days you spent in the city? 

Hello! I was approved 💓💓 we are so happy 😊😊 my medical ended up being on sept 12, I had biometrics and documents on sept 14 and the interview sept 15. It went really well. Would you like me to make a post about everything they asked me??

Also, I live in Mexico City so it was very easy for me to move around but I'd recommend to stay in a hotel or airbnb near the embassy so you can just walk to it instead of getting stuck in traffic and stuff. Relax, maybe use the occasion to visit some cool places in the city, because it's a very stressful couple of days 🙈🙈

Timeline
32 minutes ago, cookies&cream said:

Hello! I was approved 💓💓 we are so happy 😊😊 my medical ended up being on sept 12, I had biometrics and documents on sept 14 and the interview sept 15. It went really well. Would you like me to make a post about everything they asked me??

Also, I live in Mexico City so it was very easy for me to move around but I'd recommend to stay in a hotel or airbnb near the embassy so you can just walk to it instead of getting stuck in traffic and stuff. Relax, maybe use the occasion to visit some cool places in the city, because it's a very stressful couple of days 🙈🙈

Congratulations!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉

So glad to hear it all went well 😀

Timeline
48 minutes ago, cookies&cream said:

Congratulations !!! That’s so dope! I would greatly appreciate a post about your experience. 

have you received your visa and all your documents back yet? 

im a little stressed about the medical right now. They gave us an appointment for the 21st but we drop off documents that same day and interview the next. I asked them to make sure that was ok and they said yes. Today we walked over to the embassy and asked the person who stands on the corner. She said it’s ok to turn in the medical the day of the interview 😵💫

Timeline
53 minutes ago, cookies&cream said:

Also, how many years of tax returns did they ask for? 

22 minutes ago, charlottewitch said:

The business assisting me in preparing for the Visa application process.

Ah I see. Sorry I was just curious cause I hadn’t read that anywhere. 

1 hour ago, M+K said:

Also, how many years of tax returns did they ask for? 

Ah I see. Sorry I was just curious cause I hadn’t read that anywhere. 

From other user experience, I wouldn't think the financial stuff is a requirement post NOA2 approval. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring or have during interview.

Is it really 8 months out on average for interview following NOA2 for Mexico? ugh.

5 hours ago, M+K said:

Congratulations !!! That’s so dope! I would greatly appreciate a post about your experience. 

have you received your visa and all your documents back yet? 

im a little stressed about the medical right now. They gave us an appointment for the 21st but we drop off documents that same day and interview the next. I asked them to make sure that was ok and they said yes. Today we walked over to the embassy and asked the person who stands on the corner. She said it’s ok to turn in the medical the day of the interview 😵💫

At the interview they gave me back the original birth certificates but kept the passport to paste the visa on it. They gave me a paper that says it takes 5-7 business days to receive it, so I'm still waiting. 

Don't worry about not having the medical results when you drop off documents. That was my case too (and I was also stressing), even though I had the exam on the 12th they didn't give me the packet until the 14th because there was an issue and they had to do another test so when I took the documents to the embassy they just asked me why I didn't have it and told me to bring the medical the next day (interview day) and not to worry about it. 

Oh, about tax returns, I brought the transcripts of the last 3 years and they took them. 

Edited by cookies&cream

Medical Exam in Mexico City

First they register you, take a photo of your face and give you a bracelet. For this you have to give them the instructions letter, ds160 confirmation, the address where you will live, passport, vaccination record. 

Every time they do something they mark it on your bracelet and you're sent to the waiting room between the different "phases of the exam". 

Idk if the order changes but in my case first they took my blood sample, very quickly and the nurses are nice. 

Then it was the "visual exam", super simple, you just read a line of letters covering one eye first and then the other. In this same phase they took my blood pressure, oxygenation, temperature and heart rate. At the same time they asked me questions like who is your petitioner, where will you live, are you allergic to anything, do you have tattoos. 

Next was the x-ray. For this part you have to take off your shirt and bra and put on a robe that they give you. After they take the xray you change back into your clothes.

After, you are called into a room and they tell you to take everything except your underwear off and wear the same robe from the xrays phase. The nurse weighs and measures you and asks more questions about medicine you're taking, tattoos again, allergies etc. Then the doctor examines you and it's a very simple examination: he uses the stethoscope to check your breathing, he makes you lie down and touches your stomach, he looks at your hands. 

Depending on certain factors you might be called to see the psychologist. I had to because I take antidepressant medicine but other people were called because they said they had tasted marihuana. 

Some people are also asked to provide a urine sample (I think to check for drugs), luckily it wasn't my case. However, considering this it's a good idea not to pee during the exam in case they ask you for it. 

Last part is getting the vaccines. In my case, the doctor said he was going to contraindicate them so I didn't get any. 

Usually you pick up the result the same day at 1pm and that's when you pay. 

Biometrics 

This is the easiest part, you only need to bring your passport and ds160 confirmation. I was there only like 10 minutes, it's really fast.

Dropping off documents

This part was really quick for me because that day the embassy was empty, they were only receiving k1 visa applicants, but I've read that normally this step takes like 3 hours. 

Anyway, when you arrive tell them you're going for k1 visa interview, they take you in directly instead of doing the giant line that tourist visa applicants do. 

Before going in, they help you organize the documents and they ask you for everything you will need. Passport, ds160 (the one you took to the biometrics appointment), original and copy of birth certificates (petitioner and beneficiary), the petitioner's passport (only the copy if you don't have the original), police clearance, passport style photos, i134, taxes, evidence of the relationship. Oh and the divorce decrees if that is your case. 

After they put everything in order they send you in. Remember you can't bring ANY electronics, don't bring the CD they give you at the medical exam, no liquids. 

When the consul calls you they ask for the documents one by one and they ask you some questions. In my case it was:

What's your name?

Who is your fiancé?

Where will you live?

Have you been married before?

Has he been married?

Do any of you have children?

Do you have tattoos?

Did you have a visa before?

Have you ever had any problems with the law in Mexico?

And in the US?

Then they give you a paper with a number (which will be the number they call when it's your turn for the interview the following day) and showing which documents you missed (in my case it was just the medical).

Interview

This time it was a normal day so it was much slower. Now I had to wait like 2 hours to have my turn and the interview was like 3 minutes.

These were the questions

How did you and your fiancé meet?

Did you only see him once or have you spent more time together?

Where will you live in the US?

How much time were you a couple before you got engaged?

Why such a short time? (5months)

Did you have a visa before? (She had my old visa in her hands though)

Have you had any immigration problems?

Have you had problems with the law in Mexico? And in the US?

Do you have any tattoos?

And then she said "everything seems okay and I will approve your visa" 

She gave me the paper that said it'd be ready in 5-7 business days and then was like "have a good day" 

And that's it, I hope it helps and good luck to everyone 😃😃

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.