charlottewitch

March 2022 - K1 NVC thread for Mexico

115 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2022 at 1:20 PM, selember said:

Any updates on how long the NVC to embassy interview process is taking at the CDMX embassy? I’ve been hearing worrisome things on Facebook that the wait is getting even longer for this part. We are NOA1 Nov 2021 so we’re not even expecting NOA2 until January 2023 at this point :( just trying to find good news somewhere! 

it's taking about 8 months from noa2 to the interview, but I'm sure it will improve so maybe it'll be shorter by the time you get noa2 :) the longest wait is from noa1 to noa2. Good luck!

@M+K  @charlottewitch   Hi! Congrats!! that's awesome. You can start filling out the ds-160 and you can save it (it stays saved for 30), once you're on "ready" status you can file it (some people recommend to wait until you get interview instructions but it's really the same). I already filed it, but I'm on "ready" now. Then you have to wait for the interview instructions, it seems like sometimes both petitioner and beneficiary receive that email but other times only the petitioner, and they give you instructions to create an account and pay for the ds-160. So, all I did while waiting for ready status was to fill out the ds-160 and well, it's a good time to get all your documents together. :)

The medical examination is usually a couple of days before the interview, so once you have the instructions you have to call and schedule an appointment. 

Exciting!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

@cookies&cream Thank you for the info!

So, to clarify, we can file the DS-160 when it says "Ready." Now, the interview instructions e-mail, this will have a date for the interview and the number for the doctor's office we need to call to schedule the medical examination a couple days in advance, right? I'm basically trying to get my timeline together:

1) Wait for "Ready," then file DS-160
2) Wait for interview instructions email, get interview date
3) Call and schedule medical exam before interview after already having an interview date set

Does that sound right?

6 hours ago, charlottewitch said:

@cookies&cream Thank you for the info!

So, to clarify, we can file the DS-160 when it says "Ready." Now, the interview instructions e-mail, this will have a date for the interview and the number for the doctor's office we need to call to schedule the medical examination a couple days in advance, right? I'm basically trying to get my timeline together:

1) Wait for "Ready," then file DS-160
2) Wait for interview instructions email, get interview date
3) Call and schedule medical exam before interview after already having an interview date set

Does that sound right?

That is correct :) you can start filling out the ds-160 already and save it. Then submit it after you see the ready status and make sure all the information is accurate because you can't modify it after you submit.

This is the link to the website of the clinic where they do the medical exam (there's only one in mexico city) https://www.mei-mexico.com/ and yes, you call them to schedule your exam after you have the interview date, or if you have questions or something before then. 

If the beneficiary doesn't live in Mexico City I recommend you start looking for places to stay (hotels or airbnbs near the embassy) because they'll have to be in the city for approximately three days. 

:)

Edited by cookies&cream

Timeline

@cookies&cream Thank you so much for clearing the order of events up for me! :) And the clinic website too, very helpful.

If the wait between "In Transit" and "Ready" is the same for me and M+K as it was for you, it looks like it should be August 24th that we get an update. I'm curious how far out the interviews are going to be scheduled...

On 7/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, charlottewitch said:

@cookies&cream Thank you so much for clearing the order of events up for me! :) And the clinic website too, very helpful.

If the wait between "In Transit" and "Ready" is the same for me and M+K as it was for you, it looks like it should be August 24th that we get an update. I'm curious how far out the interviews are going to be scheduled...

I wonder the same because it varies a lot from what I've seen, but I think generally the interview is about 2 months after the "ready" status. Today I saw a comment that somebody received an appointment for sept 1st, so I'm thinking mine will be by the end of September and yours probably in October. But you never know! 🙈 

The other important thing to start doing is filling out the I-134 and finding out what the beneficiary has to do to get the police certificate. 

Timeline
On 7/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, charlottewitch said:

Uhhh so as of today mine says “ready” now !!!!

How is it possible it changed so fast

Timeline
11 minutes ago, charlottewitch said:

@M+K Wow, same here!

Gonna have to figure this stuff out really fast then I guess lmao. I thought I had a while to relax!

Lmao I have the exact same reaction. Low key freaking out 

First things first, fill out and file the ds-160

6 hours ago, M+K said:

Lmao I have the exact same reaction. Low key freaking out 

First things first, fill out and file the ds-160

Oh yeah! I've seen that before, where it changes to "ready" in a couple of days. That's so cool :) take your time with the ds-160, you don't have to submit it yet, it can be after you get the instructions. I did it when I got the ready because I'm desperate hahaha.

Timeline
12 hours ago, cookies&cream said:

Oh yeah! I've seen that before, where it changes to "ready" in a couple of days. That's so cool :) take your time with the ds-160, you don't have to submit it yet, it can be after you get the instructions. I did it when I got the ready because I'm desperate hahaha.

I was very much taken by surprise when I randomly checked and it said that! 

Im so anxious to get the instructions and interview date! 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:07 PM, cookies&cream said:

it's taking about 8 months from noa2 to the interview, but I'm sure it will improve so maybe it'll be shorter by the time you get noa2 :) the longest wait is from noa1 to noa2. Good luck!

Thanks for much for the encouragement--I really appreciate it!

On 7/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, charlottewitch said:

@selember So far I'm on 5 months and a week of waiting since NOA2. Been checking the NVC page for my case since March 7th. If yours is the same, I would ballpark half a year... so hopefully before the Fall next year.

cookies&cream is on a similar time frame to me, but one month prior, and their NVC changed just about a month ago, so hopefully mine will be too, this Tuesday or the next. I've heard interview scheduling is pretty swift once it moves from the NVC, at least.

I empathize with you- as a March 2021 NOA1, I was unfortunately in the eye of the storm with the huge processing slowdown. If only I were a couple months faster the difference in time getting through this process would have been greatly different and me and my fiancée would be together and married sooner, but it is what it is, I guess. I think most likely, though, conditions will improve and processing will become faster by then. I do think the current situation is untenable and must change, but then again that's just my wholly uneducated gut feeling/personal assessment of the situation.

I've tried to look for the good in the waiting and what I can do to make things better for when my fiancée does finally get here; work on organizing the house, save up money, finish projects, that kind of thing. I find what helps the most is doing things that allow me to have thoughts like, "it'll be good that I had enough time to x first." And in the mean time, we just spend a lot of time online together, voice chatting, playing games, that kind of thing.

This honestly made me feel so much better. Thank you! I don't feel so alone or hopeless with your encouragement. Hope that you have visa in hand very soon! 

Timeline

@Andres bruno I think you did that quite early if you just got NOA2.

After NOA2, your case moves from USCIS to the National Visa Center. Then, you wait for the NVC to update the status of your Visa to "In Transit" (about 5 months) and then finally "Ready" which is when I see people file their DS-160. The DS-160 is valid for 30 days, so my assumption is you submitted very early and it won't be valid by the time it's necessary- you'll be filing the DS-160 again after your visa's status is "Ready" or you get your "instructions in the mail."

@selember No problem, I'm glad I could help :) I hope you guys find fun stuff to do while you wait, and that the whole process improves in wait times and you don't have to wait as long as I did!

Good news! We finally received our interview instructions. 😃 The interview will be on September 15th and I will have the biometrics and documents appointments on September 14th. I haven't made the appointment for medical yet, but I'm guessing it'll be on the 13th. Also, only my fiancé (petitioner) received the email with instructions, I didn't receive anything.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, Andres bruno said:

I filed my ds160 right after getting nao2 today nvc sent my case to Mexico will there be an issue??

I wanted to comment on this. Like @charlottewitch said, it was probably too early to submit it, buuuuut the 30 days expiration thing is just for when you save it, it stays saved for 30 days. After you submit it, I'm not sure how long it's valid for, I've seen people say it's a year though. In any case, I'd recommend to fill out a new one once you have the instructions and use that one, because some information might've changed, considering you still have to wait a few months to receive instructions for the interview. 

Sooo @charlottewitch and @M+K

I'm thinking your appointments will be in September as well ❤️❤️❤️ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.