AnnNJ

Traveling with I-551 stampand extension letter

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone 
I am planning to travel in April 2022.
I am in the process of waiting for an interview for my I-751 (applied in 10/2019!!!)
My green card has been expired since 01/20
I got my green card stamp in June 2021
I received in 12/21 an new extension letter for 24 months 

My question is:
Does the extension apply to my green card stamp of June 2021
Or 
Of my expired green card of 01/20 

Also I would like to know what I need for reentry 

Thank you!

The extension is for the expired GC.

So the only valid document you have now is your I-551 stamp which is enough to travel. 

Once expired, you'll need another one. 

5 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

stamp usually vaild only for a year

and the extention letter is tied with the green card expire date

you can always bring the extension letter with the expired GC to enter USA

Thank you so much!

6 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The extension is for the expired GC.

So the only valid document you have now is your I-551 stamp which is enough to travel. 

Once expired, you'll need another one. 

Thank you for explaining!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.