mzu

N400 and unable to get a record of a 15 years old municipal fine

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

N-400 filed (5yr)

Back in 2005, I got a fine in city of Philadelphia for putting the trash out 45 minutes before the allotted time. I paid it promptly ($25) and forgot about it.

When filing for a GC, I asked my lawyer if I need to mention it. He said "You do". I mentioned it an I-485, got no RFEs, got approved without an interview (EB-2).

Now, when filing N-400 I mentioned this minor fine at where you have to mention all the criminal record.

Now, I realized I have no documentation whatsoever for this fine.
I threw away original citation (was stupid back then).

I paid by the check, just called my bank they have discarded check copies long ago.

I called City of Philadelphia Street's department, and they do not have any violation reported on that date on this or neighboring blocks.

When I asked the clerk over the phone as whether they can give me a certified answer that no records are available, they said "they do not think it is possible"
Only "document" that I have is a photocopy of my hand-written check registry with the date and the check payed to "City of Philadelphia"

What do I do? How do I document it for the naturalization interview? Besides this one, I have just 2 minor traffic tickets from long ago - 1 paid and 1 dismissed. Am I sweating too much?

Timeline

That is my hope as well. However, how do people document those infractions when little written records are available?

One more thing I will try is to connect to the Phila PD that issued the citation. They might have a record

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 minutes ago, mzu said:

That is my hope as well. However, how do people document those infractions when little written records are available?

Those that do sometimes end up in a Kafka nightmare 

Timeline

I understand what you're saying however this is not very helpful.

There was a page on boundless regarding how to document such cases. Can not find it at the moment, but it involved a sworn affidavit of some witnesses.

Anyway, at the current point I see 2 avenues:
1. Phila PD records
2. Sworn affidavit of couple witnesses

3. Forget about it, and hope that the statement from N-400 instructions:

"You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record." will be interpreted as: "You do not need to submit documentation for ... incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record"

Anything else?

8 hours ago, mzu said:

One more thing I will try is to connect to the Phila PD that issued the citation. They might have a record

You could have them write a letter stating that they couldnt find the record or that is no longer available but i dont think you need to disclose traffic offenses. I didnt disclose any traffic offenses when i filed my N-400 or where they mentioned during my interview. The only dispositions i had to bring was for all my actual arrest offenses which i had 6. One of those the municipal court couldnt find the record and the clerk wrote me a certified letter stating they no longer had access to it and the interviewing officer didnt  bother me about it. Funny thing is that they have all your dispositions and criminal history but they still want you to bring certified copies of the dispositions 🤦🏾‍♂️

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.