mattjones351

Send off I-485 then Apply SSN separately?

7 posts in this topic

Been scanning round on the forum for this scenerio but struggling to find an answer.

I entered the US on a K1 visa on 5th Jan. Married 20th Jan (yaay :)). I want to get my I-485 (including I-765, I-864 & I-131) sent off, initially I was going to let USCIS give me a social security number (Pt 1. Item 16. & 17 on I-485), however I think I will need my SSN to get on my wife's health insurance (ideally need my SSN ASAP to give to the insurance company, rather than waiting for I-485 to complete before being issued). So I'm wondering whether I can apply for my SSN and get my I-485 sent off selecting 'no' in I-485:  'Do I want the SSA to issue a Social Security card?', and have them both processing at the same time but separately?

Ideally I don't want to have to wait for my SSN to come through before sending off my I-485/I-765 as I really need to get working and don't want to delay the process, and I've read on the forums that the wait time is longer than normal for a SSN to be processed. I'm still only 25/90 days into my I-94 and I've not changed my name at marriage, so my understanding is it shouldn't be a problem to deal with these separately? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers all

EDIT: Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I thought it applies to both AOS & SSN equally

Edited by mattjones351
addition line

56 minutes ago, mattjones351 said:

Been scanning round on the forum for this scenerio but struggling to find an answer.

I entered the US on a K1 visa on 5th Jan. Married 20th Jan (yaay :)). I want to get my I-485 (including I-765, I-864 & I-131) sent off, initially I was going to let USCIS give me a social security number (Pt 1. Item 16. & 17 on I-485), however I think I will need my SSN to get on my wife's health insurance (ideally need my SSN ASAP to give to the insurance company, rather than waiting for I-485 to complete before being issued). So I'm wondering whether I can apply for my SSN and get my I-485 sent off selecting 'no' in I-485:  'Do I want the SSA to issue a Social Security card?', and have them both processing at the same time but separately?

Ideally I don't want to have to wait for my SSN to come through before sending off my I-485/I-765 as I really need to get working and don't want to delay the process, and I've read on the forums that the wait time is longer than normal for a SSN to be processed. I'm still only 25/90 days into my I-94 and I've not changed my name at marriage, so my understanding is it shouldn't be a problem to deal with these separately? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers all

EDIT: Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I thought it applies to both AOS & SSN equally

Go in-person to SSA way before day 76 of entry.

File for a REPLACEMENT SSN card on both I765 and I485.

It doesn't matter if you end up with three duplicate SSN cards.

You don't need SSN to file AOS.

Other than that, I don't understand the rest of what you are asking.

Rephrase your questions if I haven't answered them for you.

Thanks for the reply. To rephrase:

1. Can I send off my AOS forms without asking for a SSN, and then go into the SSA to get my SSN?

2. Will getting my SSN while my AOS/work permit is being processed cause a problem with my application?

3. Am i still eligible to get a SSN from the SSA on a K-1 even though I'm now married?

Cheers

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I went to the SSA a day or two after my arrival, before I ever got married. After getting married I filed for AOS and did not request a SSN with that filing since I had already requested one at the SSA weeks earlier. It worked out fine for me, got the SSN much earlier than the work permit (but of course couldn't do anything with it until I got the work permit)

So as I understand it: yes to question 1, no to question 2, but I have no idea about question 3 as I requested my SSN before marriage, not after. No idea if that would have made a difference, I hope someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, mattjones351 said:

Thanks for the reply. To rephrase:

1. Can I send off my AOS forms without asking for a SSN, and then go into the SSA to get my SSN?

Yes but why would you not apply for one on the forms when there is no harm AT ALL in applying for it the 3 times you are eligible to apply for it (1. In person, 2. On I765, 3. On I485).

If you don't get one before your I94 expires when you go in person (and it's very common to be denied for one for no reason) then you'll get one when either I765 or I485 is approved (shortly after by mail).

2. Will getting my SSN while my AOS/work permit is being processed cause a problem with my application?

No. If you apply on I765 and I485 too, you'll get a replacement after approval.

3. Am i still eligible to get a SSN from the SSA on a K-1 even though I'm now married?

Cheers

You ARE however many SSA agents don't understand the policies and often deny K1s for SSNs after they have married on a K1.

Hence why you should utilize every opportunity you have to apply for one.

Cheers MelOe! Appreciate the reply

34 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes but why would you not apply for one on the forms when there is no harm AT ALL in applying for it the 3 times you are eligible to apply for it (1. In person, 2. On I765, 3. On I485).

If you don't get one before your I94 expires when you go in person (and it's very common to be denied for one for no reason) then you'll get one when either I765 or I485 is approved (shortly after by mail).

No. If you apply on I765 and I485 too, you'll get a replacement after approval.

You ARE however many SSA agents don't understand the policies and often deny K1s for SSNs after they have married on a K1.

Hence why you should utilize every opportunity you have to apply for one.

Ah sorry I misunderstood you, I didn't realise you could apply for multiple ones, and that I was technically doing that anyways through my I-765 and I-485. That sounds great though I'll do all 3!

I'll keep fingers crossed about SSA and try and get an appointment tomorrow. Thanks for your help K1visaHopeful

2 hours ago, mattjones351 said:

Cheers MelOe! Appreciate the reply

Ah sorry I misunderstood you, I didn't realise you could apply for multiple ones, and that I was technically doing that anyways through my I-765 and I-485. That sounds great though I'll do all 3!

I'll keep fingers crossed about SSA and try and get an appointment tomorrow. Thanks for your help K1visaHopeful

*You're applying for one number, and one card with two optional replacement cards with same number.

If you read the I765 instructions it states the replacement option.

Possibly same instructions for I485 however I have not read then since I485 implemented the SSN application within it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.