Keithn85

K1 -Are airports sticking to the 2 week "fully vaccinated" guidelines of CDC?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee is really concerned about the whole setup in Ukraine and I spelled out the vaccine requirements per the CDC.  For personal reasons, the second dose was delayed to the point where she is a few weeks from hopefully flying out.  I am one of the rule followers (well up to a certain point) and I do not know of any experience K1s have had with taking the required 1 dose/2 doses and waiting the 2 weeks before flying.  Is it required to wait the 2 weeks or are people flying before the 2 weeks and are not denied boarding a flight?

We discussed her flying to turkey for her 2 week period, but I want to have her fly straight here if possible. (of course layovers but not 2 weeks and rent/food for that time)

So I guess my question is, how strict are the airports following the CDC guidelines of being fully vaccinated after 2 weeks of the final dose (1 or 2 depending on the shot)?  Is it strict or more relaxed?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

As far as I am aware, yes, they are serious. My sister was denied boarding because her last dose was within 2 weeks of her departure. If your K-1 visa is not about to run out, I would not waste breathe. Just schedule the flight for when she is well beyond that 2 week period. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Timona said:

As far as I am aware, yes, they are serious. My sister was denied boarding because her last dose was within 2 weeks of her departure. If your K-1 visa is not about to run out, I would not waste breathe. Just schedule the flight for when she is well beyond that 2 week period. 

Yeah and I ended up talking to her about it also a few minutes ago mentioning what you said.  She already has her contingency plans for both in country and in Turkey for waiting the 2 weeks.  (Sometimes it is better to just have that conversation with each other and really talk it out on a calm day :))  Thanks for the information though and she agreed with what you said.  She also said, "we cannot rely on anybody who says otherwise because it will depend on the officer (or in this case the agent at the airlines desk) on whether they are going to let people through.  Also, now when you go through Boryspil (Kyiv airport) they scan the qr code you present and they are able to see the dates and all of the information.  So I am staying in Kyiv or Turkey for the 2 weeks.  It will work out."  
Yep, this is one of those qualities :) 

Edited by Keithn85

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hhahaahaah she will not be allowed to board the plane from Kyiv to Turkey. And when that happens, it is not the airline's fault and you are out of $$. You will have to pay afresh. That is why I suggested her waiting at least 3 weeks from her last shot. What is the hurry?

Let us know how it goes. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Timona said:

Hhahaahaah she will not be allowed to board the plane from Kyiv to Turkey. And when that happens, it is not the airline's fault and you are out of $$. You will have to pay afresh. That is why I suggested her waiting at least 3 weeks from her last shot. What is the hurry?

Let us know how it goes. 

Yeah I guess I did not explain it quite as well.  Either way, she has a plan for it.

All of the tension from the east and the idea that she won't be selling her place now because of it.  She is ready to leave.  I wanted her here in December when she was approved, but it was a blessing for her to stay because there were other family matters that came up where she was taking care of one parent while the other was out of the city.  Yeah, it worked out for her to stay but her concern is what if the airports close down because of further movement and she cannot fly out.  But either way, she has her in city plans and will be testing/vaccinated before she flies per the requirements.  

If you want to hear my honest opinion, I was asking in hopes for a way to get her here sooner.  Selfish ambition (just because of the cringe the last year with waiting on the USCIS).  I figured it was worth a shot as I won't go into how I feel about the guidelines, but you can probably deduce from my asking of the original question.  We are going to check the boxes and get her here.

Thanks again!

Edited by Keithn85

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.