Matt_Stevens

I-134, Question 11. What do I need to write in?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My mother is co-sponsoring my fiancee, who lives in Vietnam. Yes, that means we are dealing with the psychos at the HCMC consulate, who deny visas for any reason they can possible find.

In regards to the I-134: I still do not know what I should write for question 11 and my mother does not know what she should write for question 11.

It asks: That I Intend to make specific contribustions to the support of the person names in item 3. Indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For Example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, or for how long.

What is the proper answer? If we get this question wrong, we're looking at a minimum of an additional 6 months waiting. We cannot deal with that. It would be crushing, so help us get it right the first time.

Thanks

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
My mother is co-sponsoring my fiancee, who lives in Vietnam. Yes, that means we are dealing with the psychos at the HCMC consulate, who deny visas for any reason they can possible find.

In regards to the I-134: I still do not know what I should write for question 11 and my mother does not know what she should write for question 11.

It asks: That I Intend to make specific contribustions to the support of the person names in item 3. Indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For Example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, or for how long.

What is the proper answer? If we get this question wrong, we're looking at a minimum of an additional 6 months waiting. We cannot deal with that. It would be crushing, so help us get it right the first time.

Thanks

This is a question that is geared for those who are staying in the US in a temporary fashion such as a student and are getting funded by a source that is external to the US

ALl you have to do is state "permanent relocation to the US on K1 visa, will reside with petitioner" or such..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

HI Matt,

I checked that box I DO NOT INTEND TO MAKE SPECIFIC CONTRIBITIONS. I don't think they expect you to check the box I INTEND.... because doing so making you to list what contributions you have to make. Just do the way I did.

Thanks

I just want to clarify one more thing: My fiance is not yet interviewed. Although I checked the box I DO NOT INTEND, I don't know what will happen. So I should not advice you to do the same thing as I did.

Best of luck!

HI Matt,

I checked that box I DO NOT INTEND TO MAKE SPECIFIC CONTRIBITIONS. I don't think they expect you to check the box I INTEND.... because doing so making you to list what contributions you have to make. Just do the way I did.

Thanks

I do think most K1 folks check 'do not intend', but for a picky consulate, I would be apt to write in something like Zyggy suggested.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I put "do not intend" as my contributions will not be specific. Until he has a job, my contributions will be total and general. But I agree, do write an additional explanation such as "will be residing permanently in the U.S."

Shannon 명철

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We used the book Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration as a reference, and it recommended that you put "n/a," since specific support was for temporary visas, and with a fiance visa, one will hopefully be staying here permenantly. That was just fine a year ago for my form and the forms of my cosponsers.

The book was ok, although I bought it a few years ago, so some stuff was outdated. The newest edition probably offers better info.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt_Stevens,

I haven't started filling out the I-134 yet, but I'll let you know what I put down in Question 11 when I'm done.

Here is what my co-sponsor put down though: "I will furnish room and board, $400 cash monthly for personal usage, and anything else needed for (name goes here) to be above the poverty level for the binding period of this affidavit. "

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-10-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-11-15

case forwarded to HCMC : 2005-12-11

Pack 3: lost in the mail

Pack 3 picked up @ window: 2006-1-20

Pack 3 sent: 2006-2-10

Pack 4 received: 2006-3-23

Interview: 2006-4-13

K3 Interview: 2007-7-6

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt,

A fellow Vietnam member. I plan to put N/A in the section for Question 11. Follow the example form for this question and/or the post from zyggy. I think it fits appropriately. What the co-sponsor is really saying to the government, is that he/she is commited to ensuring the beneficiary will not become a public charge to the United States. My father is my co-sponsor and doesn't intend to give us any specific type of contribution. We'll make it on our own. It is just that my Vietnam salary at present puts us just above the poverty line for a household of two. So I'm preparing with a co-sponsor for a safety net.

Take this all in stride. Go with your gut feeling. Perhaps you justify it like this: your mom isn't intending on any specific contribution, but rather will certify that she will not let the situation lead into your fiancee becoming a public charge. Think of your mom as the guarantee on the car loan. You intend to make the payments for the car, but your mom co-signs to give the lender a little more assurance and/or someone to go after if you don't make the payments.

I'm going through the same process and consulate with you. Just food for thought!

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Mattstevens,

I put N/A- Permanent residence based on K1 Visa.

Just as suggested in the example I-134.

It went through and the visa was approved.

Don't worry, everything would be okay by god's grace.We are all cheering for you and your fiance.

All the best.

love conquers all things

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt,

If it makes you feel any better, I just read two other places, I'm sorry I already closed the pages and no history, to put N/A if applying for the K-1 visa. They said, like ziggy, that listing specific contributions was for temporary visas (i.e. student or tourist).

I'm going with the exact wording on the VisaJourney I-134 example form.

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.