Ann Blair

Waiver approved-London Embassy

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband’s I-601 waiver got approved. Like most of this process, they aren’t forthcoming with information. The case tracker reads: If you do not receive your approval notice by December 15, 2021…. As I understand it, that’s just USCIS mailing a paper copy of the approval notice to him. USCIS notifies the Embassy (London Embassy for us) and they will send a “next steps” letter detailing whatever he needs to do. 

Can anyone speak to how long it typically takes to get the “next steps” letter?

I read once he has the approval notice he can call the Embassy directly and they can tell him over the phone. Anyone know if that’s correct?

Hey, in my case after my waiver approval, I had to contact US consulate in Frankfurt after waiting for over a month. They did not contact me prior to that. So I would recommend that if you did not hear anything within 30 days after approval, send the embassy an email with a copy of your approval letter from the USCIS. Good luck 🍀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 12/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, Ann Blair said:

I read once he has the approval notice he can call the Embassy directly and they can tell him over the phone. Anyone know if that’s correct?

Not by phone. The IV unit in London is who you need and they don’t do phone. Use the contact form

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/

Depending on your timeline, you may be required to have a new medical exam and a new police certificate (if the previous cert is older than 12 months).

They will also need your passport and this is what the London embassy website says is the proper way to send it. 

For security reasons, all documents should be submitted via the approved courier service.  If you have been asked to submit your passport or any additional documents, you should log on to your account via https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb and print off a Courier-in Receipt.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 12/6/2021 at 2:00 PM, Ann Blair said:

My husband’s I-601 waiver got approved. Like most of this process, they aren’t forthcoming with information. The case tracker reads: If you do not receive your approval notice by December 15, 2021…. As I understand it, that’s just USCIS mailing a paper copy of the approval notice to him. USCIS notifies the Embassy (London Embassy for us) and they will send a “next steps” letter detailing whatever he needs to do. 

Congratulations! How long did it take for your waiver process to be approved?  did you need a lawyer?

Timeline

We had 2 lawyers quit on us (both were recommended) so we lost a couple months filing the waiver. 130 days total from filing to approval, but we did expedite and I got Senator McConnell’s office to help us or it probably would have taken a lot longer. USCIS current processing time without expedite is 5.5 - 7.5 months. We did hire an immigration lawyer. You can do it by yourself and you might get passed, it does happen, but if they refuse the waiver, you’ve lost x many months and have to start over and pay the fee again and wait almost another year for an answer. 

Just wanted to throw out, I don’t know the Senator personally. Every state has 2 Senators and a staff member that helps with immigration. Regardless of your party affiliation, they work for everyone in your state. Every Senator has a website and contact information so if you need help you can contact them. I sent an email and explained the situation and asked him for help. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ann Blair said:

We had 2 lawyers quit on us (both were recommended) so we lost a couple months filing the waiver. 130 days total from filing to approval, but we did expedite and I got Senator McConnell’s office to help us or it probably would have taken a lot longer. USCIS current processing time without expedite is 5.5 - 7.5 months. We did hire an immigration lawyer. You can do it by yourself and you might get passed, it does happen, but if they refuse the waiver, you’ve lost x many months and have to start over and pay the fee again and wait almost another year for an answer. 

Just wanted to throw out, I don’t know the Senator personally. Every state has 2 Senators and a staff member that helps with immigration. Regardless of your party affiliation, they work for everyone in your state. Every Senator has a website and contact information so if you need help you can contact them. I sent an email and explained the situation and asked him for help. 

First congrats on getting approved. Just out of interest, what were your grounds of ineligibility for your I-60 waiver. I have just submitted my I-601 waiver application on the grounds of a CIMT, without using any lawyers. 

Edited by Austin96

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, Ann Blair said:

Hi I wanted to ask did you get any update or any other information on the next steps 

Timeline
17 hours ago, AngelR11111 said:

Hi I wanted to ask did you get any update or any other information on the next steps 

It was about 7 working days until he got the next steps email. He was asked to submit a new police certificate and complete a new medical then send his passport back via the courier. He never received a paper notice the waiver was approved only an email and they did not keep us updated along the way (i.e. passport received, medical results received, police certificate received, processing, visa issued…). Zero communication and then one day he got notified by the courier something was coming tomorrow and his passport showed up visa stamped inside. 

Worth mentioning that the visa medical told him the vaccine cards issued by the U.K. to all citizens for the Covid vaccine and booster was NOT sufficient proof of Covid vaccine for a visa. He had to get a letter from the doctor’s office. 

4 hours ago, Ann Blair said:

It was about 7 working days until he got the next steps email. He was asked to submit a new police certificate and complete a new medical then send his passport back via the courier. He never received a paper notice the waiver was approved only an email and they did not keep us updated along the way (i.e. passport received, medical results received, police certificate received, processing, visa issued…). Zero communication and then one day he got notified by the courier something was coming tomorrow and his passport showed up visa stamped inside. 

Worth mentioning that the visa medical told him the vaccine cards issued by the U.K. to all citizens for the Covid vaccine and booster was NOT sufficient proof of Covid vaccine for a visa. He had to get a letter from the doctor’s office. 

From the time your Received the email to summit the new police report, medical and passport to the day you got the passport with the visa. How long did that take 

Timeline
13 hours ago, AngelR11111 said:

From the time your Received the email to summit the new police report, medical and passport to the day you got the passport with the visa. How long did that take 

It was roughly 6 weeks, but factor in Christmas and New Year’s. The Embassy was closed most of the last 2 weeks of the year so that was an additional delay. Roughly from next steps email until passport mailed back about a month. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.